Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-01-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

The awesomeness that is random debut historical

Take a look at the 2002-2003 Stanley Cup winning Tampa Bay Lightning. This is in a file I'm currently testing/running that I started in 1950 with Random Debut enabled.

This is their 2nd Cup in 3 seasons. Where else are you going to see Mark Messier, Mike Bossy, Daniel Sedin, Newsy Lalonde and an aging Taylor Hull in the same lineup?

And how about that goaltending tandem of Chuck Rayner and Roberto Luongo who is in the twilight of his career at 36.

They defeated the Vancouver Canucks (lead by Sergei Makarov, Aaron Ekblad, Matt Duchene, Dean Prentice, Didier Pitre and Travis Zajac) in a thrilling 7 game series.
Attached Images

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester

Last edited by Habsfan18; 10-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #2
BKL
All Star Reserve

The awesomeness that is random debut historical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Take a look at the 2002-2003 Stanley Cup winning Tampa Bay Lightning. This is in a file I'm currently testing/running that I started in 1950 with Random Debut enabled.

This is their 2nd Cup in 3 seasons. Where else are you going to see Mark Messier, Mike Bossy, Daniel Sedin, Newsy Lalonde and an aging Taylor Hull in the same lineup?

And how about that goaltending tandem of Chuck Rayner and Roberto Luongo who is in the twilight of his career at 36.

They defeated the Vancouver Canucks (lead by Sergei Makarov, Aaron Ekblad, Matt Duchene, Dean Prentice, Didier Pitre and Travis Zajac) in a thrilling 7 game series.

With random debut, can you start a modern style league (30 teams) but have it randomly debut historical players? I like the random debut concept but would like to play under a more modern league structure. Is this possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #3
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKL View Post
With random debut, can you start a modern style league (30 teams) but have it randomly debut historical players? I like the random debut concept but would like to play under a more modern league structure. Is this possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. It is exclusive to historical mode.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 10-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
GamerGoalie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

how are the players determined for historical debut?

I mean, if I start the 78 Bruins or something, could I end up with 20 guys from the 40's and 50's I've never heard of?

And if I do a fantasy draft season, is their a pool of historical debut players to choose from randomly determined ?
Old 10-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #5
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGoalie View Post
how are the players determined for historical debut?

I mean, if I start the 78 Bruins or something, could I end up with 20 guys from the 40's and 50's I've never heard of?

And if I do a fantasy draft season, is their a pool of historical debut players to choose from randomly determined ?
It basically comes down to which options you select during game setup.

If you want to begin in 1978 and take over the Bruins, you certainly have the option of beginning with the accurate roster if you so choose.

Basically your 3 options are:

- Start with the 78 Bruins and have the NHL begin with accurate rosters for each team from that particular season.

- Start with the 78 Bruins and begin with an initial league fantasy draft that pools the entire 1978 NHL player list into one draft.

- Start with the 78 Bruins and choose random debut (where you can choose an initial league draft or randomized rosters) where you’ll see an entirely randomized pool of players in the game world.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester

Last edited by Habsfan18; 10-01-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM   #6
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Are all players real and not fictional in random debut historical(or something)?
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #7
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No. It is exclusive to historical mode.
So would it not be possible to start an historical league in 2017? That would give a modern league structure.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
So would it not be possible to start an historical league in 2017? That would give a modern league structure.
You’re technically still in historical mode which is a completely different quickstart/game world than the standard mode.

To get the true modern experince of NHL/AHL/KHL etc etc you have to use the standard mode quickstart.

I mean nothing is stopping anybody from starting a historical game in 2017 and moving forward, but you’re still in historical mode.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 10-01-2018, 04:48 PM   #9
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Are all players real and not fictional in random debut historical(or something)?
It’s literally the exact same thing as historical mode has always been (assuming you have played it) the only difference being that debuts are randomized. Hence the name.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester
Old 10-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #10
quillenl
All Star Reserve

Maybe I am setting up Random Debut incorrectly. I am trying to start with the 1972 NY Islanders, and when I select Random Debut it appears as if I must do an inaugural draft. It is random debut players being drafted for the initial teams. If someone is familiar with which checkbox I am mis-clicking I would appreciate it as it does not appear as intuitive as I had assumed.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #11
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillenl View Post
Maybe I am setting up Random Debut incorrectly. I am trying to start with the 1972 NY Islanders, and when I select Random Debut it appears as if I must do an inaugural draft. It is random debut players being drafted for the initial teams. If someone is familiar with which checkbox I am mis-clicking I would appreciate it as it does not appear as intuitive as I had assumed.

Are you talking about starting in 1972 with the real life Islanders roster, but using random debut? Because if that's the case, that's not how it works. When you pick random debut, it will randomly assign players to every team (or it does a draft, I can't recall from my lone test before) and go from there. If I missed what you're asking, then feel free to correct me
Old 10-01-2018, 07:43 PM   #12
quillenl
All Star Reserve

No, you nailed it. Was looking for current year's rosters with future drafts being random debut. It is an option in OOTP and thought maybe I was just mixing up settings when I tried to reproduce it in FHM. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #13
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You’re technically still in historical mode which is a completely different quickstart/game world than the standard mode.

To get the true modern experince of NHL/AHL/KHL etc etc you have to use the standard mode quickstart.

I mean nothing is stopping anybody from starting a historical game in 2017 and moving forward, but you’re still in historical mode.
Which is the objective is it not - to be in historical mode so you can use random debut?

Starting in 2017 isn't going to give you a great deal of difference from 2018 as far as modernism goes.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #14
Habsfan18
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Which is the objective is it not - to be in historical mode so you can use random debut?

Starting in 2017 isn't going to give you a great deal of difference from 2018 as far as modernism goes.
I could be wrong, but I took BKL’s comment in the sense that they’d like to play the modern day standard mode (quickstart) which utilizes a large amount of possible playable leagues that are only available in that specific setup, but incorporate the random debut concept into the file so they could have the historical players show up in their sim.

If that’s indeed what they meant, it’s not possible. Of course a modern setup could be used if the user started a historical file in say 2016 or 2017, but it wouldn’t have the game-world depth of the actual 2018-2019 quickstart.

OOTP and FHM Beta Tester

Last edited by Habsfan18; 10-02-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I took BKL’s comment in the sense that they’d like to play the modern day standard mode (quickstart) which utilizes a large amount of possible playable leagues that are only available in that specific setup, but incorporate the random debut concept into the file so they could have the historical players show up in their sim.

If that’s indeed what they meant, it’s not possible. Of course a modern setup could be used if the user started a historical file in say 2016 or 2017, but it wouldn’t have the game-world depth of the actual 2018-2019 quickstart.
That's what I took it as also, thus my comment. Starting in 2017 doesn't give you exact 2018 sameness, but it would be awful close, and it would also allow you to play with random debut since it's historical.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #16
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

So you can have NHL random players play in the WHA,if so,has anyone had a complete roster of NHL random players and did they dominate (or something) during the regular season and post-season?

This random player option is like icing on the cake (except I am diabetic).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:19 AM   #17
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Random Debut is the key to me. It's almost exclusively what I play (offline, at least) in OOTP, and wanted it badly here.

Now, I understand it is in historical mode, as it would need to be. That said, can you edit league structure, or will it expand, move, etc as in real life, or could I start in like 1975 with 16 teams and keep it as such for the forseeable future?
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Anybody have a chance to check this out - in terms of RD in custom? Or, at least, not having auto expanding in every historical league with RD?
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #19
GamerGoalie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

it would be great to have an options of which decades to include or exclude. There are a ton of players in my RD season I have never heard of.

Or maybe a slider to indicate where you would like the most players drawn from, and then have less and less players from the years they are further away from this slider location.

It would be nice to limit the amount of unknowns in the draft.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:08 AM   #20
Edster007
All Star Starter

Borrowing this thread for a random debut Q. Just tried to start one. Playing in commissioner mode and chose July 1st as my start date yet I cannot edit anything. I wanted to tweak roster sizes, number of skaters dressed etc Is that option not available in RD mode?
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote