Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
as5680
All Star Starter

First time I've lost a game this way...

This was a new way for me to lose a game - leading 2-1 in the top of the 9th with two outs and runners at 1st and 3rd, the tying run scored on a passed ball on an uncaught third strike.

After a walk to load the bases, another passed ball on a strikeout allowed the go-ahead run to score, putting my team down 3-2!

After a pitching change, a strikeout finally got me out of the inning (the fourth strikeout of the inning, added to a sacrifice bunt which had been the first out).

There was no comeback in the bottom of the 9th and the final score was 3-2 - definitely the strangest circumstances I have lost a game in so far.
as5680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I have lost a game on a WALK-OFF dropped third strike.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I lost one on a balk once.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I lost one on a balk once.
I think I've won on a balk before.

I don't think OOTP does it, but I know teams in real life have lost on wild pitches during an IBB attempt (I have seen a WP in an attempt to hit a batter though, so maybe it's possible).

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

wolf and cryo did you both play the same game ??? LOL
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
wolf and cryo did you both play the same game ??? LOL
What! Head to Head is here at last!

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
If that was Cryo then he's both good and lucky!
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post

That was one feature promised in one of the old versions, then poof.... never heard of again.
BusterKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
That was one feature promised in one of the old versions, then poof.... never heard of again.
My guess is that it was very difficult to implement.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

I played H2H with Thomamon about a year or so ago. I won!

It can be done with desktop sharing programs and it is quite fun!!

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
bazeall
Minors (Double A)

I was discussing this with an OS during a 4+ hour Astros game. The Astros had to travel to being a road series the next game. Around midnight, I said "They should just intentionally walk the bases loaded, then intentionally walk in the winning run to end this game."

Imagine a winning run scoring on an intentional walk. Or imagine a game ending on a walk off intentional walk.
bazeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #12
estyles
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I think I've won on a balk before.
Just won the NL Championship on a walk-off balk. Man, I almost feel bad for the other team.

Of course, the bases were loaded with 1 out, with the second best hitter in the league at the plate, and the best hitter in the league on deck. So I can understand why their pitcher was nervous.

I was trying to decide whether to pinch-hit for my 1.008 OPS hitter with a pitcher, to squeeze bunt, but decided with the infield and outfield in I would just go for it. Kind of anti-climactic.
estyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazeall View Post
I was discussing this with an OS during a 4+ hour Astros game. The Astros had to travel to being a road series the next game. Around midnight, I said "They should just intentionally walk the bases loaded, then intentionally walk in the winning run to end this game."

Imagine a winning run scoring on an intentional walk. Or imagine a game ending on a walk off intentional walk.
OS = Official Scorer, I assume, and not Ordinary Seaman or Ordnance Sergeant.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
estyles
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estyles View Post
Just won the NL Championship on a walk-off balk. Man, I almost feel bad for the other team.
So, I was imagining what would happen to the ump if this ever occurred in real life. I mean, I think a balk would have to be pretty blatant (like faking a throw to first, then quick-pitching) to be called in the 9th inning of a tied playoff game, much less to balk in the winning run in game 7.

Then I wondered if it had ever happened. According to the list a few comments down, here: Walk-off balks » Baseball-Reference Blog » Blog Archive, it hasn't. Just going by the dates, I don't see any walk-off balks in October, and the only two that happened in September don't look like they had playoff implications (I just looked at the teams' records - I didn't go back and check standings from those years).
estyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazeall View Post

I think if it was a blatant IBB they'd be accused of throwing the game. Of course you can tell a guy to walk someone without it looking like an IBB.