Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #1
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Unhappy Every Player in my League has either 5 Stars or 2 Stars.... =/

I am doing a test run of my newest league. The league is composed of mostly *Real* team names, cities, etc., but ALL players, scouts, managers coaches, etc. are completely *FICTIONAL*. In order to accomplish what I needed to do to fill my independant, college and high school and international teams, I filled all those teams AND front office personnel with fictional players. My 'Fictional MLB Parent League' will be doing an inaugural draft to fill my MLB and its Minor leagues up. But I have a "slight" problem....lol......

***EVERY*** Player is either at 5 Stars OR at 1 1/2 Stars (and every potential is at the exact same as the actual), there isn't any (whatsoever) 'in-betweens' - meaning that there isn't any players at 2, 3, 4 etc. It doesn't matter if the players are 35 yrs old or 18 yrs old.

Could someone please enlighten me as to what I am doing wrong?!?!?? Because IO am CLEARLY doing something wrong, lol.

Thank you All in advance.
vulcan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

1) Is scouting on?
Wondering if the scouts do not have a handle on the league.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
1) Is scouting on?
Wondering if the scouts do not have a handle on the league.
Yes, scouting is on. And my settings are set for realistic/normal/default for all front office personnel. I do not tweak any of the players or front office personnel settings. I will post a pic soon of what i'm seeing.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

maybe try ratings relataive or not relative, depending on current setting...

maybe AI eval needs time to run and adjust? (stats part of overall).. only possible if first year, though... 2nd would be less prevalent, and 3rd, no problem by ~midseason or whenever enough data is accumulated on that 3rd year.

it's probably just rounding... 5stars is a very low resolution... even though they look like 2 stars, many are quite a bit different in ability. not referencing inaccuracy at all... only resolution of the scale. that's a neutral statement... many prefer a low resolution in the ratings. it definitely adds difficulty compared to a larger reso.

on the golf course we say "good from afar, but far from good" as you get a closer look at a group of women golfers your eye's resolving power gets better and what looked amazing from 1000yds actually looks more like a man up close. *nowadays, the ladies say the same about me on the course (well, something similar, since i don't mind looking like a man, as i am one.)

Last edited by NoOne; 03-17-2017 at 04:31 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
maybe try ratings relataive or not relative, depending on current setting...

maybe AI eval needs time to run and adjust? (stats part of overall).. only possible if first year, though... 2nd would be less prevalent, and 3rd, no problem by ~midseason or whenever enough data is accumulated on that 3rd year.

it's probably just rounding... 5stars is a very low resolution... even though they look like 2 stars, many are quite a bit different in ability. not referencing inaccuracy at all... only resolution of the scale. that's a neutral statement... many prefer a low resolution in the ratings. it definitely adds difficulty compared to a larger reso.

on the golf course we say "good from afar, but far from good" as you get a closer look at a group of women golfers your eye's resolving power gets better and what looked amazing from 1000yds actually looks more like a man up close. *nowadays, the ladies say the same about me on the course (well, something similar, since i don't mind looking like a man, as i am one.)
Thank you for replying.

You are probably right, stats. I have yet to run a season, heck....not even one game yet. My baseball Universe is brand-spanking new. I am still creating things after I built the template and am now putting caps and jerseys and logos to them all. That is when I noticed all the players having either 5 stars OR 1 1/2 stars. But just as you said, NO games have even been played yet, not even a spring training game, lol. That is how 'New' this league is. So....the scouts can not properly rate these players as they haven't even played single game yet, lol. DOH!!! lol....I believe you answered my question(s) even without knowing you did, hahahaha.
Thank you, mate!!! IO will report back in this thread should this persist.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Post after a season in case someone else has the same troubles.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #7
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Post after a season in case someone else has the same troubles.
Will do. OOTP 18 will be out in a week (I pre-Ordered the first day it was available), but despite OOTP 18 being the newest edition of the OOTP series/line, I will wait until the first patch is released to import my new career into OOTP 18 so all/most of the 'release day bugs' are fixed, etc.

But I will post again about where this is going in regards to what could/might be causing this strange problem.

Thanks again Everyone.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #8
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Did you go to league setup and do this - "Run OSA and Human Scouts Rescout"?

Also, are you managing a team and looking through your Scouts eyes or not managing and looking through OSA eyes?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #9
vulcan4
Major Leagues

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Did you go to league setup and do this - "Run OSA and Human Scouts Rescout"?

Also, are you managing a team and looking through your Scouts eyes or not managing and looking through OSA eyes?

Although I have played OOTP since around 2004 or so, I am STILL a VERY novice player because I had very little playing time until recently. That said, I have no idea what OSA is, lol, so I'll go read what OSA is in the OOTP manual after I post this reply. So, I have no idea what it means to look through my scouts eyes vs OSA eyes.

Also, because I am currently still setting everything up in my HUGE baseball Universe, I am playing in GM/Manager as well as Commissioner mode since I have to do a few changes in every league and baseball team in the universe.

Thank you for replying.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

OSA is the game generic Scout. If Scouting is disabled, or if you don't manage a team, you'll see player ratings through the generic Scout. These won't be the same as if you were looking through your own Scouts eyes, same as every Scout may see/rate a player a little differently.

But either way, go to league setup and run the Re Scout I suggested, as this will update all Scouts, both OSA and individual. Then see if the ratings are all still the same.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

even if you are switching to '18 soon, i'd sim out to make sure there isn't some inherent flaw in the setup, if concerned.

you don't want to invest more time in somethign that could be human-error or corrupted in some other way. just restore a backup and quit your GM/coach job, and speed-sim out 1 year - 3 years... should be obvious by the end of 1, though...

definitely hit the re-scout option first. much less effort and time....

while on the league settings screen, familiarize with any 'function' it has... reassign this or that etc etc... something you intend to do may already be built-in.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote