Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
djl81790
Bat Boy

Considering OOTP for the First Time... Questions

I've been an avid baseball game fan for a long time and love the MLB 13 The Show series but I often find myself not wanting to repeatedly purchase a game from the same series year after year. I bought both MLB 12 and 13 and don't really have a deep desire to get 14 this year for the PS3.

I know there is the new RBI Baseball that could be an option too but this OOTP really intrigues me. I will be honest, I had heard of OOTP before recently but hadn't really given the game much thought. I've never played it before. Now it seems like a good idea. I love realism, I 'm not in love with customization but it can be really cool and I'm good with not physically playing out the games via pushing buttons but rather just managing. It seems like OOTP could be right up my alley.

There are a few things that pop up though and make me question purchasing OOTP. I personally have a hard time convincing myself to play a game for the PC when I already have purchased a gaming system, like I'm letting the system go to waste, maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine. So to me that's an issue. Also, its just a new series I'm unfamiliar with and am not entirely sure I will like. I have a few questions that I'm sure you fine people could help me with.

Is it possible to still get OOTP 13 or 14 and not pay full price so that I can first try out the series before playing full?
Does the game come in disc form or is it something I would download as a program on my PC?
Is there anything I'd have to consider in terms of PC capabilities or would a standard run of the mill computer be able to run the game just fine?
For those of you that play it, what are the drawbacks? What don't you like about OOTP?
In terms of doing fictional or historical leagues is it necessary to do any "modding" to the game or is it really enjoyable to play a fictional/historical league with the game the way it is as its shipped? I'm not really into the technicalities of working a PC like that.
How time consuming is the game? Does it ever become a chore to play?

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry about the wall of text, figured giving background info might be helpful.
djl81790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djl81790 View Post
Is it possible to still get OOTP 13 or 14 and not pay full price so that I can first try out the series before playing full?

Yes, but I reccommend getting the free demo version of 14. It's fully functional, but with a time limit, which I don't know how long it is. Right now OOTP14 is $20 and OOTP 15 will be released early April.

Does the game come in disc form or is it something I would download as a program on my PC?

Download. Really convenient.

Is there anything I'd have to consider in terms of PC capabilities or would a standard run of the mill computer be able to run the game just fine?

Unless you have a zombie computer (like I used to have), OOTP runs fine. Only large leagues slow down the game, but you're not into customization so you shouldn't worry about that.

For those of you that play it, what are the drawbacks? What don't you like about OOTP?

If there's one thing I must say, it's that the learning curve is very steep. The first time you open OOTP, there will be seemingly endless menus, options, etc. However, once you get into it, you might find most of the features to be unnecessary, depending on how you play.

In terms of doing fictional or historical leagues is it necessary to do any "modding" to the game or is it really enjoyable to play a fictional/historical league with the game the way it is as its shipped? I'm not really into the technicalities of working a PC like that.

There are tons of mods to download that can really add to your game experience. Adding jerseys to fictional leagues definitely enhances the "FaceGen" aspect, as when you manage the game the players will be wearing your jerseys. I also reccommend Bobble's Facial Hair Mod, which also enhances FaceGen.

HOWEVER, even without those, if you're mostly in to managing your games, FaceGen is not huge. The game is still very fun and very functional without mods.

How time consuming is the game?

Depends on your style. I personally like to create a fictional world and become a "fan", watching the league develop. I also like to GM and I do manage games in my small, 4 team, 36-game league. Each game you manage can take longer or shorter depending on how much thought you put into managing. If you play with fast play-by-play mode, you can do a game in 15 minutes.

Does it ever become a chore to play?

Not in my experience, and if it does, create a new league! Try something new! Switch teams! The possibilities are endless.

Answers in quotes. Definitely try out the demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How time consuming is the game? Does it ever become a chore to play?

Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry about the wall of text, figured giving background info might be helpful.
You can download Demo's of past versions and 13 & 14 should be under $20 right now.
It is a download, but i think you can find it at some places as a disc but i have never bought the disc version.
My PC is 8 yrs old and OOTP runs fine. I have 4 MB RAM AMD Athelon III? default everything. XP.
I dont have any outstanding complaints. I came over from High Heat in 2010 and have never looked back. I play a particular type of league which i have never been able to play so in-depth on any game. I have custom uniforms for all of my teams and some custom parks.
In my opinion modding is the best part of the game. The game does not come with historic uniforms so you can download them. The uniforms are my favorite part. I had the Sox black alt made for me and the road Brewers jersey is from 1997.
Takes 15-20 minutes max to finish a game. When it becomes a chore, you create a new league. I have 13 leagues that I do not play and one that I do. I keep a dynasty thread and that at times can get tedious but it is a way to record my league history and some enjoy my league. i can talk about my league all day long.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
BradC
All Star Starter

OP, I think all your questions have been answered, but I'm also here to answer any additional ones you might have.

Also, I'm happy to give you more in-depth help with any areas of the game you aren't sure about. I'll even get on the phone and walk through it with you.

I don't say that because the game is *that* complicated but because sometimes it's easier to walk through it verbally with both of us looking at the game at the same time.

Thanks. We're always happy to see new customers around here.
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
mark_htfc
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
Also, I'm happy to give you more in-depth help with any areas of the game you aren't sure about. I'll even get on the phone and walk through it with you.

Now that is something I think I could really do with hah!
mark_htfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
djl81790
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
OP, I think all your questions have been answered, but I'm also here to answer any additional ones you might have.

I don't say that because the game is *that* complicated but because sometimes it's easier to walk through it verbally with both of us looking at the game at the same time.

Thanks. We're always happy to see new customers around here.
The offer is greatly appreciated, Brad. I'm kinda in the process of deciding what I want to do. I do have a few more questions just on how the game works since it has piqued my curiosity.

If I were to do a historical league, the MLB Draft as we know it didn't start til June of 1965, if I were to start in say... 1950, is there still a draft in the game? or the old school way of scouting and signing players?

On top of that, often you hear about how players like Ted Williams and Bob Feller could've had even more illustrious careers had they not departed to country to fight in World War II for 4 years. Say I was doing a historical league set in 1943. Would Bob Feller be on the Indians?

To be clear, the old versions of the game that are downloadable on this site are demos?

How drastic are the updates year to year? Would it really be worth my while you think to wait until OOTP 15 comes out?

Is it hard to add mods? Would someone with fundamental computer skills be able to do it with relative ease?

The Game... if you're still reading this... how did Clayton Kershaw end up on the Brewers in your league? Just curious, since you like talking about your league.

Lastly, thank you to all you guys that have already answered my questions. You've been very helpful. I actually just got a new job this week that I will be starting in a couple weeks. Once I get a couple real good paychecks under my belt I think I'm gonna buy OOTP (not that its THAT expensive, but it will be a nice little treat). Just a matter of what demo I wanna try in the meantime I guess.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
mark_htfc
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
To be clear, the old versions of the game that are downloadable on this site are demos?
As I'm still a total beginner in OOTP (although I have bought every version since 11, I have barely gave them much time as I always find them too daunting), I can only answer this question, but if I recall correctly, OOTPD have released one of the older versions as freeware, might have been 08 or something around that year, it obviously will lack the features that was added in later releases, but if you want to get a feel for the game for a few seasons, try and get a hold of that version.

I'm sure someone will correct me on the year of the free version.

EDIT: just googled it, you can get it from here http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp8/

Last edited by mark_htfc; 02-06-2014 at 06:16 PM.
mark_htfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #8
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
The offer is greatly appreciated, Brad. I'm kinda in the process of deciding what I want to do. I do have a few more questions just on how the game works since it has piqued my curiosity.

If I were to do a historical league, the MLB Draft as we know it didn't start til June of 1965, if I were to start in say... 1950, is there still a draft in the game? or the old school way of scouting and signing players?
There's 3 ways for a historical rookie to enter a game:
  • Directly in the team it debuted in in real life
  • as a free agent
  • as a draftee

This all depends on two check boxes in the options.
Quote:

On top of that, often you hear about how players like Ted Williams and Bob Feller could've had even more illustrious careers had they not departed to country to fight in World War II for 4 years. Say I was doing a historical league set in 1943. Would Bob Feller be on the Indians?
Again there's an option for that
Quote:

How drastic are the updates year to year? Would it really be worth my while you think to wait until OOTP 15 comes out?
Depends on the year. The big changes this year are on the graphics front.
Quote:
Is it hard to add mods? Would someone with fundamental computer skills be able to do it with relative ease?
There's the I'm so stupid I can only use an Iphone way and the easy way.
Quote:
The Game... if you're still reading this... how did Clayton Kershaw end up on the Brewers in your league? Just curious, since you like talking about your league.

Lastly, thank you to all you guys that have already answered my questions. You've been very helpful. I actually just got a new job this week that I will be starting in a couple weeks. Once I get a couple real good paychecks under my belt I think I'm gonna buy OOTP (not that its THAT expensive, but it will be a nice little treat). Just a matter of what demo I wanna try in the meantime I guess.
Try 14.

8 is free too, IIRC.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:

You decide. You can have the draft or have new players enter as free agents in the offseason.

I'm not 100% sure. If not, you could always import him very easily and put him on the Indians.

Yes, but you can buy them in-game for $20, I think.

No because you save $20 now, and you can buy 15 for $40 when it comes out or for $20 during the All-Star Game sale.

YES. All it takes is a download and a copy to a folder.

See answes above.

Quote:
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
BradC
All Star Starter

Mark_HTFC: I would be happy to walk through the game on the phone with you too, but since you're in the UK, we might have to do a Skype call.

Same offer applies to anyone else who wants to do that. I honestly don't mind. Sometimes it's easier to walk through something when both people are in front of the game and I can say things like, "Okay, click that menu and then..."

Looks like all your other questions have been answered. And just to confirm in an official capacity, yes, you can download demos of the last few versions, as well as the free version of OOTP 8, off our site to play around with them. The changes may not seem drastic from one year to the next, but comparing 8 to 14 will be a huge difference.

15 will have a very different interface vs. past years, and the big addition will be 3D ballpark support, along with 3D in-game ball flight. I should note that we're just adding support for 3D ballparks - the community will have to come up with the 3D models, but we know they will do so very quickly.

Also, putting the 3D stadiums in the game should be just as easy as adding other mods. As others have noted, the mods are very easy to download and install, thanks to Add-Ons Central.

Oh, and to clarify one thing: Past All-Star Game Specials have been 25% off, not 50% off, so the game would ship at $39.99 and drop to $29.99 for the All-Star Game. Then offseason pricing is $19.99.

However, while 15 will ship at $39.99, we never promise that we will follow past years when it comes to running discounts.

Thanks!
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Mods are relatively easy to add. Adding things like uniforms, logos and facegen are really easy. Adding things like different trophy pics, umm accomplishments pics is easy but not as easy. Many people namely Bigrod & Lukasberger can tell you how to add anything with ease.

Kershaw signed a 6 yr deal with the Brewers 12/10/14. I was rather surprised that the Brewers signed him.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #12
djl81790
Bat Boy

Once again, thanks for all the info gentlemen. Probably gonna download a demo of 14 tomorrow and start playing around with it. Should be a lot of fun.

This seems like a good community. Would be happy to stick around once I really get into the game.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

If you are looking for an improvement to the console franchise mode you are in the right place.

If you are patient and be as specific as you can with questions the community will walk you through what you need. Be prepared to do some reading on the forums. There is a good "advanced search" function that you can use in addition to the manual.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:29 AM   #14
djl81790
Bat Boy

Hey guys. Been messing around with the demo now for about 10 days and just had a quick question.

I've been playing a historical league with the amateur draft off and the historical rookies automatically imported and imported as free agents. when i will see such rookies put into the free agent pool. is there a certain time of year? or is it sporadic? just wondering about this.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #15
Ike348
All Star Starter

First day of off-season. Its kind of weird because its before free agency and you don't get a news article or anything about it.

Quote:
Old 09-05-2014, 04:36 PM   #16
nickaepi
Bat Boy

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Mods are relatively easy to add. Adding things like uniforms, logos and facegen are really easy. Adding things like different trophy pics, umm accomplishments pics is easy but not as easy. Many people namely Bigrod & Lukasberger can tell you how to add anything with ease.

Kershaw signed a 6 yr deal with the Brewers 12/10/14. I was rather surprised that the Brewers signed him.

I know this post is from February but I was looking at your screenshot, with Kershaw's achievements at the bottom of the screen. It says 11/2/14 wins NL Cy Young award. He is pretty much a lock to win a Cy Young this year, in real life. That's amazing that this game sims stats like that. It predicted Kershaw would win it and he is going to. I'm buying this game today. I've been on the fence. This just put me over the top. Thanks!
nickaepi is offline   Reply With Quote