Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team > PT Dynasty Reports

PT Dynasty Reports Tell us about your very own Perfect Team!

Old 11-24-2019, 01:08 AM   #1
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Aotearoa Angels:Smallball Edition.

OK, thought I'd have some fun with the tournaments and experiment with some different strategies. First up on my list was what if I stacked the line-up with 9 guys who can all get on-base and steal and then tell them to steal whenever they felt like it.

I assembled my first roster in a hurry so I might tweak it up for future tournaments but here was my plan.
  1. Enter a 1875 Cap tournament. All cards welcome.
  2. Get into my spreadsheet and get a list of every player I had with a Contact or Eye > 70 (against both LHP/RHP) and Steal > 80 and Speed > 70.
  3. Try to assemble a starting lineup from the people in my list.
  4. Give three spots to iron level players who can fill in a defensive hole at the end of a game.
  5. At that point, see what's left for pitchers and see what I can do. It leaves 5 starters, and 8 in the bullpen.
  6. Set all the smallball options in the strategy section to as extreme as we can get it.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Catcher: Roger Bresnahan

Not much options in the catcher department. Breshnahan technically didn't meet my initial requirement with a Speed of 69 but I think we can make an exception for The Duke of Tralee.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #3
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

First Base: George Sisler

The perfect candidate for our team. Sisler's 1922 MVP campaign for the St Louis Browns saw him hit .420 and steal 51 bases.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:22 AM   #4
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Second Base: Joe Morgan

Joe Morgan is getting on one way or another. He led the National League in On-base percentage four times and was in the top 10 for stolen bases 11 times throughout his career. 67 and 60 stolen bases in his two MVP years for Cincinnati.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:28 AM   #5
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Third Base: Bip Roberts

OK, third base was hard guys. I eventually managed to slot Bip Roberts in there. It looks like a defensive black hole so we'll just have to hope it all works out. Hoping for numbers like Bip's All-Star 1992 season for the Reds where he hit .323 and stole 44 bases.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:32 AM   #6
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Shortstop: Homer Bush

Another one that we shifted out of position. Baseball Reference says that Bush only played 19 games there in real life but oh well. His only really notable season -- in 1999 with the Toronto Blue Jays -- saw him hit for .320 and grab 32 stolen bases
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:36 AM   #7
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Left Field: Rickey Henderson

You've gotta have the Man of Steal in there right? Even if you kinda just squeeze him into an outfield spot where he doesn't have a rating?

I'm sure you don't need to be reminded that Henderson has 1406 career stolen bases, the most in history. Lou Brock has the second most, with 938.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #8
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Center Field: Garry Maddox

So Maddox meet our criteria but he's largely here because of that 8-time gold glove defense that he brings to the table. At his peak, he was still good for 20-30 stolen bases a year.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:44 AM   #9
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Right Field: Mookie Betts

Hey, it's our first active player! That took a while. Mookie hit .346 and got 30 stolen bases in last season's MVP campaign.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:48 AM   #10
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Designated Hitter: Ty Cobb

His name -- The Georgia Peach -- sure makes him sound lovely, but he tore up the basepaths in his days including 96 stolen bases in 1915. Couple that with his batting average and we have our lead-off hitter.
Attached Images
Old 11-24-2019, 01:54 AM   #11
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Everyone Else

As promised we got some Irons with good defense as backups: Kristopher Negron, Deven Marreo, and Jeff Mathis all round our hitters.

That left 936 ratings points to go to 13 pitchers and here's what I ended up with:

Starters
Greg Maddux (100)
Gaylord Perry (89)
Masahiro Tanaka (74)
Dallas Keuchel (67)
Marcus Stroman (68)

Bullpen
Jordan Hicks (82)
Dan Jennings (70)
Will Harris (81)
Adam Climber (59)
Scott Alexander (64)
Phillips Valdez (40)
Jake Diekman (66)

I didn't put too much thought into my pitchers because the clock was winding down to get my roster submitted but that's exactly 936 right there! Unsure on the use of Maddux, I got him super-early on in Perfect Team from a pack and I've been riding him hard ever since. Feels weird to have a team with him not on it.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:11 AM   #12
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

First tournament that my smallball boys are going in is Q-Cap-1875-Bo7-T32-ID17. In fact, in the time it took me to write all the nonsense above I already had the first round.

WHICH WE WON

So proud of you guys. I'm totally not crying right now.

In the first game, Greg Maddux was on the mound for 8 innings in a 4-1 victory before yielding the final inning to Jordan Hicks for the save.

We stole four bases: George Sisler, Mookie Betts, Garry Maddox, and Rickey Henderson all getting in on the fun.

Portland DaNuts got back into it in game two but the Angels took game three (despite not stealing any bases... weird). We got absolutely hammered in game four 15-1.

Game five wasn't looking too good until a massive 8-run 6th innings turned it around. The deal was sealed in game six with a 2-0 victory, thanks to a solid 8-innings effort by Greg Maddux. Only one steal in that game but it did lead to one of those two runs. Hooray!

I've got BK Love (Burger King love?) up next who swept through the first round. Took them all four games to steal four bases though, we did that in the first game!
Old 11-24-2019, 02:20 AM   #13
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

George Sisler started game one against BK Love with a 2-run home run. I berated him for it and he made up for it by getting a steal in the 7th.

Unfortunately, BK Love joined in the run scoring soon after and eventually took the game 7-6. We're pretty badly matched in the starting pitcher stakes tomorrow, with our Silver Masahiro Tanaka going against their Diamond Ben Sheets... and it's only going to get worse until we swing back around to Maddux.

Gulp.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:27 AM   #14
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

It wasn't looking too bad in game two until Phillips Valdez came in for the 8th. It took him 44 pitches to get through that innings while Burger King Love (I'm just assuming that's what BK Love stands for) scored three runs that proved critical in their one-run victory. We're down 2-0 now, and tomorrow my Bronze Dallas Keuchel goes against a Perfect Jacob DeGrom.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:34 AM   #15
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

The team went to the Long Ball for game three. George Sisler, Joe Morgan, and Garry Maddox all going deep. Only the Catcher Roger Bresnahan getting the coveted stolen base. We paid for our folly and went down 11-7.

On Burger King's side, Anthony Rendon went deep for them twice and got man-of-the-match honours in their winning efforts.

It's do-or-die now. Max Scherzer will take the mound tomorrow, I've got Marcus Stroman.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:47 AM   #16
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

THAT'S A SWEEP FOLKS

That's the end of this tournament. Swept out by Burger King. It was looking good, we were up 5-2 going into the 7th but it all fell apart in the final third as no one we could throw at it could stop the rampage of runs.

Final score: 16-5

Until next time.

For this campaign, I'm awarding the Whittakers Peanut Slab (MVP) to George Sisler. Over 10 games he went .439/.477/.780 with 3 home runs and 3 stolen bases.

Rickey Henderson got the most stolen bases with 4. Unfortunately he also went 6-40 with a OPS+ of 14.

Greg Maddux was the star of the show for the pitchers. Over 22 innings pitched he recorded a 1.23 ERA, 0.77 WHIP with 17 strikeouts. He gets a Mallowpuff.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:52 AM   #17
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

OK, entered the lads into another 1875 cap tourney: Q-Cap-1875-Bo7-T32-ID18

More changes are needed but for now I've just do a little re-organisation of the pitching team. Out is Will Harris and Mashahiro Tanaka. In is Dan Quisenberry and Dick Ellsworth. Moves the balance towards the rotation rather than the bullpen.

I might also reconsider which Rickey Henderson card to use. I could downgrade from the 99 card I have and not lose stealing/running ability but will lose hitting ability. One upside of the other Rickey Henderson cards is that they have an actual fielding value at Left Field.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #18
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Minor quibble and only an opinion:

If you're not bunting, it isn't smallball.

It's a team of leadoff hitters.

Good experiment, though.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:40 AM   #19
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

Fair call!