Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:13 AM   #21
Marsupilami
Major Leagues

just an fyi, for it to be more likely that a member of the staff chimes in, it would be better to post it in the bug report section

Marsupilami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #22
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsupilami View Post
just an fyi, for it to be more likely that a member of the staff chimes in, it would be better to post it in the bug report section

Done - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4155392

Feel free to chime in on that thread with your thoughts.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:22 PM   #23
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

fan interest is all about ticket sales - season and gate. other factors are invovled too. you can see its effect with season tickets more clearly -- less factors invovled clouding causality.

i've seen increases in '17 -- from trades and FA signings. i think this is a change, not a bug.. but maybe needs tweaking, if the anecdote about winning 100+ games a year is not caused by other things. make sure that tidbit is inthe bug report, too.

trading a superstar for a superstar dropping fan interest isn't so odd.

ever heard of the proximity rule with the opposite sex? similar concept. local fans like their local players more... even if they are essentially equal. so trading 1 for 1 of supposedly equal players will be a net loss from a fan interest point of view... but i would hope winning 'extra' games over the next Xyear would offset that and more.

also, a "crash" is a loss of 1 or 2 fan interest points. if you are winning 100+ a year and fan interest is continually going down (-50, -60, -100 never rising year after year), then i'd suggest just changing it to "0" or maybe "50" and ignoring it for 5-10years and call the results a wash (enough to withstand the negatives during the time period you ignore it).
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #24
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

If you sign popular guys in free agency, your fan interest should increase. It does for me. It also increases when I give popular guys extensions, even sometimes 1-year arbitration-avoiding deals. But not getting it in trades is clearly a bug.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #25
drhay53
Major Leagues

Random comment but fan interest seems to be a very strong predictor of what ticket price the AI teams set. This is probably what you'd expect but if you do a linear regression it's quite obvious.

I haven't confirmed if fan loyalty is a secondary factor for ticket prices or not.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 AM   #26
BballDoc
Minors (Single A)

Not to pile on here but seeing the same thing in our online league. We let a very popular guy walk at the beginning of free agency this off season (getting old and we were rebuilding). Got a message our fans were not happy and our fan interest "almost crashed." Okay, expected, we can deal with it.

Then a few weeks later we trade for a Well Known (locally and nationally) guy.....nothing. And for the record the guy we trade away to acquire this Well Known guy - insignificant

Then a few weeks later we sign a FA guy who is Extremely Popular (locally and nationally)......nada, zip, zilch.
BballDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM   #27
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

yeah, local yokals like their players more regardless of any related facts -- they do not operate on logic. they will be more upset about an equally popular guy leaving than some guy that's never played in their town... sounds like real life to me.

in fact i can find local populaces that exist that would prefer an inferior hometown player to objectively better players. so, this makes a ton of sense to me.

if i thought people were logical and rational, i'd argue differently

Tickets:

None of this is unknown, even though i haven't bothered to figure it out... simple test in the game, don't argue about theory, lol. i do postulate below, but it's obvious when it's a "maybe statement". whether my guess is wrong is inconsequential. this is all easily confirmed with just a modicum of effort.

i'd guess that the one that goes up and down additionally influences the other. i'm starting to think it doesn't directly influence ticket prices (the fan interest).

the 1-10 is the base, (loyalty? sticking to 1-10 in case i have names backward)

interest might magfnify or minimize possible ticket prices. but the loyalty is the important base relative to ticket prices.

i'm not certain interest affects ticket price directly... if it does Not, then it likely provides a different function... like the impetus for loyalty change or market size changes... (changing loyalty does influence ticket price, but interest itself does not - maybe). it's got to do something useful, if it doesn't affect ticket prices... otherwise, it wouldn't be there.

that's not somethign for debate... if somoene wnats to know, then go turn comissioner mode on and test it... i'd suggest picking a .600+ winning team in july or august to do the test. a bigger range of possibilities provides a better resolution for what we are looking for.

also, winning allows you to increase the price of tickets... is it win total or win pct? i didn't test... i'd guess it's more about win pct. anyway, i'm fairly sure it's tiered by 1/4th to 1/8th sections of the season or soemthign like that.

e.g. a .650winpct in April isn't the same as a .650winpct in July relative to ticket prices. it may simply be a function of # of games played and constantly changes throughtout... but, it seems at certain points there's a distinct jump in how much you can charge and get the same attendance.

what's optimum? ticket price at ~nearly full attendance? maybe you make more by selling fewer tickets at a hiher price... 2 independent variables and easy to figure out, if you want to. nothing to debate or guess at... if you want to know, then know it.

i can tell you that you defintiely want to price your season tickets higher than your initial ticket price, if you expect a winning season. otherwise you are leaving millions on the table. the # of season tickets has nothing to do with price of ticket and attendance in the regular season. you should look at them as exclusive from from each other with no effects on the other. the only concern relative to season tickets is max profit from them.

it's much easier than setting ticket prices throughout the year... the only knowledge you need to acquire is knowing how fan loyalty equates to season ticket sales. otherwise you'd have to save, set price, advance then kill the process and restore to last save... that's kinda cheating and way too much effort for somethign so small, lol. that is an easy way to learn quickly - change prices, loyalty, whatever variable you want to learn 1 at a time while others stay the same).

so, selling only 30,000 or 10 or 1 season tickets for a 54k stadium doesn't affect ticket prices during the regular season. lets say "$32" typically is a sellout... $32 on that date with that record and those fan loyalty/interst will still be a sellout regardless of how many season tickets you sold.

want to know optimal profit for season ticket prices? Max limit of ticket price * attendance (basic calc, likely using bad vocab, lol) just like above for during the season. assess "optimum" independent of each other... . but takes some speculation about your team's success - that's the only thing that's not gauranteed here.

you don't even have to do the math, just graph it if you don't know calculus (will take you a lot longer ). it will be visually obvious what the answer is for your 2 optimal independent variables.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-24-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #28
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

I mispoke ... confused interest with interest modifier.

either way, you simple need to change these things a bit and take note of the resulting priceXattendance results. (weekday/weekend should just be it's own % increase from that base... or can work backward from weekend rates.)
Old 02-26-2017, 08:08 PM   #29
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

James, what you're seeing would make complete sense if your team is the Tampa Bay Rays.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
Tonesta
Bat Boy

So I have another quick question regarding Fan Interest - do we know what affects it other than trading/signing players and winning games?

I ask because in my game, I'm just coming out of a rebuild. At the start of the season, despite having been below .500 for the past three years, Fan Interest was a fairly respectable 83.

Coming up to the end of July, we're ten games over .500 and locked in a tight division race. The playoffs look probable. I haven't traded away anyone from the Major League roster.....just a couple of minor league players with Insignificant popularity.....and I've made a couple of minor acquisitions to upgrade my bullpen but, again, haven't demoted anyone to AAA with anything other than Insignificant popularity.

And yet the Fan Interest is dropping month on month.....it's now at 74.

It's not a disaster, but I'm guessing that difference in Fan Interest could lead to a +/-$5m change in my budget for next season.....and as a small market team (well, according to my version of OOTP17, Philadelphia is a small market team!), that $5m could have a big impact on pulling together my roster for next year.

Anyone have any thoughts on other factors that may influence Fan Interest other than winning games and player transactions?
Tonesta is offline   Reply With Quote