Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
azhockeynut
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Signing players in NHL

Maybe I am doing something wrong, I have 2 RFA, I ask each player for their demands, I then exceed the demands in term and dollars looking to go longer term, maybe a 3 year instead of 2 year. Both players instantly refused (no counter negotiation, nothing) and now will wait for offer sheets etc. That should not be possible. perhaps if I insulted them with lowball or less than demands maybe. However, in both cases I exceeded their demands and they did not accept or counter or anything like that and now I cannot renegotiate. that needs some work I feel.
azhockeynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:06 PM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

I actually like the idea that a player isn't guaranteed to resign just because you meet his contract demands. Sometimes players just want to play somewhere else and or see what they can get as a free agent, realistic in my opinion.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:54 PM   #3
fireonk
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
I actually like the idea that a player isn't guaranteed to resign just because you meet his contract demands. Sometimes players just want to play somewhere else and or see what they can get as a free agent, realistic in my opinion.
Thats not realistic for restricted free agents. Even if another team sends him an offer, the team that owns his rights can just as easily match it.

Depending on the player's situation, adding term might be a bad thing though since it might eat up years of their unrestricted free agency.
fireonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:43 PM   #4
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireonk View Post
Thats not realistic for restricted free agents. Even if another team sends him an offer, the team that owns his rights can just as easily match it.

Depending on the player's situation, adding term might be a bad thing though since it might eat up years of their unrestricted free agency.
Or it eats more RFA years. It's not a bad thing to qualify a person though. They will eventually sign with you or not, but if you choose not to match, you at least get compensation.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
fireonk
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Or it eats more RFA years. It's not a bad thing to qualify a person though. They will eventually sign with you or not, but if you choose not to match, you at least get compensation.
Right, I was just trying to think of a scenario that would cause a player to not be happy with getting more term and more money.

I dont think there is ever a scenario that gets a reaction of refusing to negotiate any further though.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireonk View Post
Right, I was just trying to think of a scenario that would cause a player to not be happy with getting more term and more money.

I dont think there is ever a scenario that gets a reaction of refusing to negotiate any further though.
Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg last year.

Kyle Turris, Phoenix.

Most of the time it's because players want out, but not always.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #7
fireonk
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg last year.

Kyle Turris, Phoenix.

Most of the time it's because players want out, but not always.
I think we are talking about different scenarios. I agree that there are occassions where an RFA won't want to negotiate, but in those situations when asking for their demands they should just say they won't sign with the team or just make the demands insanely high.

Those aren't cases of a player saying this is what they are looking for, the team coming back by offering MORE terms and money, and then the player following up by saying they are done negotiating.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:35 PM   #8
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

if i had to guess it's the more term that's causing them to reject the offer. most RFAs don't want to give away UFA years in their deals.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:09 PM   #9
tcblcommish
Hall Of Famer

I agree, it's probably term that is stopping them from signing a contract. You can offer more money but it would have to be worth it for someone to give up those free agency years.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
tcblcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Northernsky
Major Leagues

Ok so here is my issue... I met Sam Reinharts demands and than asked for his response... he was happy with my offer. So I hit submit and went to the next day. Anaheim matched my offer (same exact offer) and BAM he was auto signed. WTF is that? I don't even get to counter? Happened to another Free Agent too.. so far I have not signed anyone. Not how FA should work imo... OOTP you can see what the other team(s) are offering and match or exceed.

BTW I am Edmonton and EVERYONE should want to play there.

Last edited by Northernsky; 01-17-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Northernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #11
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Gustafson View Post
Ok so here is my issue... I met Sam Reinharts demands and than asked for his response... he was happy with my offer. So I hit submit and went to the next day. Anaheim matched my offer (same exact offer) and BAM he was auto signed. WTF is that? I don't even get to counter? Happened to another Free Agent too.. so far I have not signed anyone. Not how FA should work imo... OOTP you can see what the other team(s) are offering and match or exceed.

BTW I am Edmonton and EVERYONE should want to play there.
That's a little different with RFAs and UFAs. Make sure to not get them confused. RFAs if it's your team, you have the right to match it and it'll come via the Mail.

UFAs are a whole different ball game. You don't necessarily know what other teams are offering, but on the main menu (or in the Free Agent center), you can see who usually has the best offer or where the player seems most likely to sign.