Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 12-03-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
2 thoughts on penalties and a question on Juniors

1. When a penalty is being killed and the clock stops, you can sometimes see the remaining penalty time (be it .02 or 1.58) vanish from the clock while the narrative plays out at the bottom, and this is basically a spoiler, since you know that it means there's going to be a goal scored. I just had a situation where my Kings had to press and press and took four shots to get the puck past Ken Wreggett, but I knew it was going in. And not just because it was Ken Wreggett they were shooting on.

Likewise, it works in reverse. If the remaining time stays on the scoreboard, you know the goalie is going to stand fast, no matter how long it takes to clear the puck from the zone.

Please consider changing it so that the remaining time only vanishes once the narrative concludes (and the goal sound plays) so that we have more suspense. Thanks.

2. Hockey moves very fast sometimes. As a Kings fan, in real life this season, I've gotten to see the win in OT at Boston, where the Kings scored off of a face-off with 0.9 seconds remaining. (Kopitar won the draw cleanly, Toffoli put it home…and I think there might have been a slow clock. But even so.) But that said, there have been some cases where the game seems to be acting a little too quickly.

I only raised my eye slightly when the (game) Kings scored two goals in :04 in one game. But I've seen cases where there was a goal scored :02 into a penalty, which is rather unlikely because power plays usually involve at least one pass, and I've seen almost a half-dozen cases of a second penalty (creating a double-minor) getting called less than :05 into the penalty, when referees are, in my experience, reluctant to blow the whistle again immediately after. Perhaps there should be some sort of "penalty adjustment" built in, so that events don't pile up against each other quite so quickly, as they sometimes do with everything being, I assume, engine-based.

---------------

Q. Is there any benefit to leaving a player with his junior team? Besides keeping a contract slot open, I mean? Does the player always develop more quickly in the minors than he would with a junior team? Should I therefore get everyone I can (and would want) to my minor league team ASAP?

Thanks in advance for answers and consideration.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

I'll see if the timing display on goals can be adjusted to only change after the play-by-play ends, that should prevent the spoiler effect.

The odds of a penalty being called while one's already in effect do change, but it's still very possible to get an early one. I'd like to make some adjustments in the penalty calling logic to take game situation a little more into account, but it's a bit down the priority list right now, there are some other in-game things I'd rather have cleaned up first.

Re: junior, if the player isn't that developed yet, it may be better for him to remain in junior rather than being out of his depth at the AHL level. He's also likely to get much more playing time in junior, which will prevent any development issues due to lack of icetime, which could happen in the minors.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:41 AM   #3
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Good point. I do seem to have an excessive amount of Left Defense down in Phoenix. ('95 Kings; Jets 1.0 still in Winnipeg at the moment.) I'll let as many as possible steer clear of that logjam.

Good to know the clock spoiler will be dealt with, and I understand about the penalty logic being a more complex issue. Thanks again.
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote