Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #1
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Is this blockbuster trade fair?

I am in the offseason between the 2025 and 2026 seasons with my St. Louis River Walkers -- and I have a chance to get Fernando Tatis Jr. in a trade.
But is it fair?
(My trade settings are hard and favor prospects).

We won the MBL championship for the first time in a thrilling seven-game series after going 96-66 in the regular.
Obviously, my team is good but could probably use one more bat since it's strength definitely was its pitching.
Third base is the only position where I really could make a move without moving out an established player or a on-the-rise rookie.

And even than, 26-year-old Tanner Kohlhepp batted .261 with 17 homers, 63 RBIs and had a WAR of 2.7.
Despite winning the title, I have money to spend ranking around 10th in payroll coming out of the season.
The top two available third baseman in free agency are 35-year-old Manny Machado or Jonathan India, a 4.5-star 28-year-old second baseman who also rates above average at third defensively.
Going into Day 1 of free agency, Machado is chirping about $35M per season while India is at $25M.
Above my price tag for an aging vet and someone who may not be better than what I have.

So I shopped my top prospect, a 20-year-old shortstop/third baseman named Edgar Bustillos (he's at 1.5 stars right now and 5 stars in potential He's also the No. 8 position prospect overall) and Adam Wegner (a 25-year-old right handed reliever, 3 stars overall/4.5 prospect).
And Tatis was listed as available. He plays for Cleveland and coming off a 26-year-old rookie season -- he's a bit late to the show compared to his real-life counterpart, due to a glitch on my part my league has 24 teams and I forgot to eliminate the minor league teams that did not carry over so he was stick in a AA limbo -- where he batted .265, 29 HRs, 71 RBIs and a 4.4 WAR).
Cleveland's trade status is listed as wanting to win and money isn't an issue.
So his availability preplexed me a bit.

Would this trade be a fleecing, or am I basing that on the real Tatis rather than the one in this game.
Any thoughts on keeping the game fair would help before I pull the trigger.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 

Last edited by rink23; 01-30-2020 at 10:27 PM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
I am in the offseason between the 2025 and 2026 seasons with my St. Louis River Walkers -- and I have a chance to get Fernando Tatis Jr. in a trade.
But is it fair?

We won the MBL championship for the first time in a thrilling seven-game series after going 96-66 in the regular.
Obviously, my team is good but could probably use one more bat since it's strength definitely was its pitching.
Third base is the only position where I really could make a move without moving out an established player or a on-the-rise rookie.

And even than, 26-year-old Tanner Kohlhepp batted .261 with 17 homers, 63 RBIs and had a WAR of 2.7.
Despite winning the title, I have money to spend ranking around 10th in payroll coming out of the season.
The top two available third baseman in free agency are 35-year-old Manny Machado or Jonathan India, a 4.5-star 28-year-old second baseman who also rates above average at third defensively.
Going into Day 1 of free agency, Machado is chirping about $35M per season while India is at $25M.
Above my price tag for an aging vet and someone who may not be better than what I have.

So I shopped my top prospect, a 20-year-old shortstop/third baseman named Edgar Bustillos (he's at 1.5 stars right now and 5 stars in potential He's also the No. 8 position prospect overall) and Adam Wegner (a 25-year-old right handed reliever, 3 stars overall/4.5 prospect).
And Tatis was listed as available. He plays for Cleveland and coming off a 26-year-old rookie season -- he's a bit late to the show compared to his real-life counterpart, due to a glitch on my part my league has 24 teams and I forgot to eliminate the minor league teams that did not carry over so he was stick in a AA limbo -- where he batted .265, 29 HRs, 71 RBIs and a 4.4 WAR).

Would this trade be a fleecing, or am I basing that on the real Tatis rather than the one in this game.
I definitely don't think it is lopsided at all. With Tatis being fragile it is very risky. I think the risk/reward is pretty equal. Tatis is more expensive, will be a free agent sooner.

Edgar Bustillos is a possible future star, cheap and controllable.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:05 PM   #3
ezpkns34
All Star Reserve

I think you're basing it off of Tatis' real world rookie season and potential

Doesn't look overly lopsided to me based on ratings/stats shown
ezpkns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you know what a gm in real life does when a trade is unfair? he keeps quiet about it and continues to gladhand the other GM.

they both look like 3rd basemen by the time they are roughly 30. tatis can make it longer with the better error rating, but the moment that range drops just a bit, he's going to be substandard defense at a very key spot. may still outweight other options even given that likely defensive degredation in their late 20s early 30s.

i think the back end RP at the least makes it similar return for each team invovled.

if you like his name, go for it. but, this looks like a sidestep you are fretting over as opposed to a certain step forward. you are only giving up an RP, so it's not much of a cost either way.

fb/slider, tougher to be dominant as s su/closer unless they are wickedly rated. the split you have with that combo is insanely weighted to mow down right handed batters.

e.g. i'd use him at the end of a game with only RHBs coming to the plate and if they have a lefty on bench, some impotent pud that doesn't matter -- likely better for you if the AI plays that matchup game and brings in substandard talent.

so, he's not even an everyday RP. Some do have better results than you expect based on others with similar ratings... and after ~5 years if he is dominant every year, you potentially have one of those exceptions (** potentially **). problem with RP is that you don't know what you have until they are too old or approaching too old in many contexts. you won't know for certain until they have 700-800ip. that's only 3-4 years as a starter.. think of how many have a couple good years, i.e. 300-400ip... just because you are an RP doesn't change those facts. it takes many innings to know anything with confidence.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-31-2020 at 03:29 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:11 PM   #5
tejdog1
All Star Starter

I dislike trading for Fragile players, personally.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
Same for me. I only trade for fragile players if they are going to be a free agent at the end of the year and this is usually around the trade deadline.

I also never trade for players that are a clubhouse cancer.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rink23 View Post
But is it fair?

Absolutely not. First, you'd have to account for the fact your prospect is farish from the MLB and that he could bust. Perhaps a 60ish POT SP/positional player and a first five rounds draft pick and it'd be fair. Still though that's pushing it when you remember they play the same position and one is already developed, so even then...
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:14 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
ha, didn't even look at that... yeah.. don't trade for some paper tiger.

even though the onen guy is 20, he's been in the leauge 3 years and his ratings have held steady. i'd feel pretty safe about this guy developingn at this point. worst case, he stalls a bit toward end and needs ~2 mlb years to fill out.

20 with 3 service years isn't anythign like a 20 year old recently drafted. i'd put money on this guy being most of what you see.

definitely don't trade for the fragile guy.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-04-2020 at 09:18 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:13 PM   #9
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Responses were too late.
I made the trade.
We're nine games into the season and Tatis is batting .233 with 2 HRs, 5 RBIs and a .761 OPS.
The fragile tag concerned me but he has not had more than a 6-day injury, and just one of them in a season-and-a-half.
Our trainer also boasts a great rating -- with a specialty of prevention -- and I cannot recall many really lengthy injuries to position players since I took over in 2018.
This team won the World Series in 2025, but its best offensive players are 31 and 32, respectively, and I felt I needed another thumper if I wanted to repeat.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote