Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
runyan99
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Catcher Ability

Does the Catcher Ability rating affect pitchers in any way? In other words are things like pitch selection or framing modeled here?

I assume the other rating called Catcher (the position rating) is only used for balls in play.
runyan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Catcher ability is fielding the position plus framing. Catcher arm strength figures into caught stealing.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runyan99 View Post
Does the Catcher Ability rating affect pitchers in any way? In other words are things like pitch selection or framing modeled here?

I assume the other rating called Catcher (the position rating) is only used for balls in play.
Comparing the Catcher's ERA suggests that there is a positive effect, it's hard to quantify because exporting stats mixes catching stats with other positions (a player like Buster Posey will have a much lower CERA in the exportable stats screen than he does on his playing card because of the innings at 1B adding in to his innings at C in the league stats). Maybe I'm just not seeing how to separate them in the league stats, would be great if they could be.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
runyan99
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If that's true then what is the rating only called Catcher for?

To be clear catchers are special and have two ratings. Catcher and Catcher Ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Catcher ability is fielding the position plus framing. Catcher arm strength figures into caught stealing.

Last edited by runyan99; 01-17-2019 at 06:35 PM.
runyan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
whobob
Minors (Single A)

I believe the rating only called catcher is the overall defensive value for the catcher, taking into account ability, arm, and experience. Much the same way the overall defensive value of a SS takes into account range, arm, double play ability, errors, and experience at SS.
whobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #6
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

From the OOTP manual. It's strange that arm is mentioned in ability...

Catcher Ability
Catcher Ability is a measure of a catcher's overall catching skill. Catcher Ability isn't truly a distinct rating. It is more of a composite number based on a combination of the player's defensive skills (arm, error, range) and his experience at the position.

Catcher Arm
Catcher Arm is a measure of a catcher's arm. Catchers with higher Catcher Arm are more likely to throw out runners stealing a base. Catchers with high Catcher Arm ratings could also cause opposing managers to think twice before attempting a steal.

FYI, there's no underlying ratings shown in the editor, so I've got to think a higher catcher ability scales up all the aspects of catching proportionately (i.e. someone can't be both excellent at framing and dog**** at passed balls like Yasmani Grandal in real life).

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-17-2019 at 07:18 PM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
From the OOTP manual. It's strange that arm is mentioned in ability...

Catcher Ability
Catcher Ability is a measure of a catcher's overall catching skill. Catcher Ability isn't truly a distinct rating. It is more of a composite number based on a combination of the player's defensive skills (arm, error, range) and his experience at the position.

Catcher Arm
Catcher Arm is a measure of a catcher's arm. Catchers with higher Catcher Arm are more likely to throw out runners stealing a base. Catchers with high Catcher Arm ratings could also cause opposing managers to think twice before attempting a steal.

FYI, there's no underlying ratings shown in the editor, so I've got to think a higher catcher ability scales up all the aspects of catching proportionately (i.e. someone can't be both excellent at framing and dog**** at passed balls like Yasmani Grandal in real life).
Ah, someone that's seen Grandal at work.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Ah, someone that's seen Grandal at work.
Dodgers fan here
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 PM   #9
Thalion
Major Leagues

Somebody said that a high Catcher Ability would help low Control pitchers a lot due to their superior pitch framing. I can certainly understand that, but does that mean that a high Catcher Ability doesn't help higher Control pitchers as well?
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #10
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
Somebody said that a high Catcher Ability would help low Control pitchers a lot due to their superior pitch framing. I can certainly understand that, but does that mean that a high Catcher Ability doesn't help higher Control pitchers as well?
If a high control guy can hit a spot just out of the zone repeatedly and the catcher can bring it in every time, he can benefit just as much.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #11
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Makes me wonder if a rotation full of high movement guys would benefit most from high ability catchers. Definitely difficult to quantify, unless you start counting strikes % per pairing. It would be great to be able to "lock" a catcher to a rotation spot.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
Makes me wonder if a rotation full of high movement guys would benefit most from high ability catchers. Definitely difficult to quantify, unless you start counting strikes % per pairing. It would be great to be able to "lock" a catcher to a rotation spot.
You can do that in the 7 day lineups. I have always loved the 7 day lineup for everything. I wish they would have extended it to far more then the 7 days it is. But it is a wonderful tool.
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote