Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:17 AM   #1
sprague
All Star Starter

Batters and the draft

Have you noticed that in historical real year drafts, the AI way way favours a pitcher over a hitter. Recalc league, ai choice box checked.

A superstar hitter who should be an obvious choice may drop to 8 or 9 in the draft, while a 3 star pitcher who has 4 years of service time keeps getting selected above them. Delehanty, Thompson, the names so far not wanted are shocking, I have to take over the first 4 draft picks to make it fair.
Next draft coming up has Lajoie and Wagner, am hoping the AI will think they are good enough to draft #1. Will be curious to see.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #2
sprague
All Star Starter

Ok 1895 draft
Chick Fraser SP is wanted to be selected as the #1 pick over Nap Lajoie, Cy Semour and Fielder Jones. In fact 2 more pitchers wanted to go 2 and 3 before Lajoie was to be selected.
Really that makes no sense. I never remember in past versions things like this happening. Consensus #1 picks in the historical game were always the #1 pick by the AI.

Should I log this in as a bug?

PS just called up OOTP 18 on my old laptop. Ran the 1895/96 draft. 1 was Nap Lajoie, 2 Cy Seymour, 3 Fielder Jones, 4 was Chick Fraser. This made way more sense as did the rest of the draft.
No wonder the teams that were at the bottom of the standings never got better through my replay so far, they were never drafting the best player available.

All historical players should know this.
I wonder if the same is happening in Random debut, or just in the basic historical mode? I wonder if it happens in the with minor leagues on?

Last edited by sprague; 08-16-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

You might not want to open this can of worms. There is a thread about inaugural historical drafts ( thread date 6-13-2018?) that includes the annual debut draft that you may want to read. I have AI teams with excellent pitching and really lacking in some positions but continue to draft pitchers in the 1st round. Anyway, you may want to read that entire thread.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:37 AM   #4
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
You might not want to open this can of worms. There is a thread about inaugural historical drafts ( thread date 6-13-2018?) that includes the annual debut draft that you may want to read. I have AI teams with excellent pitching and really lacking in some positions but continue to draft pitchers in the 1st round. Anyway, you may want to read that entire thread.

Yes I had seen that thread, but that was more about the inagural draft which I think the devs looked into.
I am seeing the year by year draft in December (I still wish we could change the date of that draft but anyway) that is where I see the strange AI draft choices. I was trying to run a historical league, and wondering why the bad teams never got any better, until I realized they never took the best players so of course they still sucked.
So it makes it challenging.
But OOTP 18 still runs the draft great. So I might have to either just play historical on 18 for now, or since I do like the new 19 3d screen, I might have to run 18 just for the draft choices in the first round, then use that as a chart in 19 for the drafts teams make in round 1 at least to keep the competitive balance somewhat in tact.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

If you use draft values:

1896 draft class in OOTP.has fraser, lajoie and seymour as the top 3 picks.

The way it works is that a team will always take one of the top 3 picks available to it based on team needs. The AI determines what is needed.

If you do not use draft values the same things happen without any top 3 limits. things are wide open any anything can happen.

In my test I just dood it went Lajoie, Fraser, Seymour.. Fielder Jones went 10th.

Attached are the 1896 Draft Values. If you don't use them the sky is no limit? Plus I do not know how the game decides who plays what position. For instance Lajoie was a first baseman as a rookie. Seymour was a pitcher his first few years not a center fielder. There are no positions listed in the draft value file as you can see.
Attached Files
File Type: xls 1896DV.xls (14.0 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by Spritze; 08-17-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #6
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritze View Post
If you use draft values:

1896 draft class in OOTP.has fraser, lajoie and seymour as the top 3 picks.

The way it works is that a team will always take one of the top 3 picks available to it based on team needs. The AI determines what is needed.

If you do not use draft values the same things happen without any top 3 limits. things are wide open any anything can happen.

In my test I just dood it went Lajoie, Fraser, Seymour.. Fielder Jones went 10th.

Attached are the 1896 Draft Values. If you don't use them the sky is no limit? Plus I do not know how the game decides who plays what position. For instance Lajoie was a first baseman as a rookie. Seymour was a pitcher his first few years not a center fielder. There are no positions listed in the draft value file as you can see.
OK but in the game i just played, chick Fraser was 1, two their starters 2 3, the lajoie went 4 and seymour 5. And this has continued since I began the replay. Real top hitters might go 17 or 18 while a 1 or 2 star starter goes 10 and 11.
My ootp 18 test did none of this.
I am restarting. I can let you know who the game tries to select this upcoming run