Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Pitcher Losing Streaks

I'm doing a historical replay and was just checking in on the stats and streaks leaders when I found out that Bullet Bob Turley is currently (August 4, 1962) on a 29-game losing streak, two longer than the real-life record set by Anthony Young. I know most of us want to see if anyone can beat DiMaggio's streak and the game's other great feats, but this is pretty remarkable, too. Anyone else seen any comparably crazy losing streaks?
Attached Images
tayloraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Just as an update: Turley, as of July 10th, 1964, has run the streak up to 36 decisions. Of course, he hasn't pitched in the bigs since the end of the '62 season and probably never will again, as he's gone 0-3 with an ERA in the 8s at AAA in the past two seasons. He finished his 1962 season with the Senators at an incredible 0-22 with an 8.31 ERA, 125 walks and 44 strikeouts in 139.2 innints pitched, a 2.26 WHIP and a negative 2.5 WAR. Needless to say, it took an extremely talent-poor recently expanded team like the Senators for something like this to happen; you'd have to think an organization with any other options would have benched him long before he got the opportunity to make 26 starts.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
thriller13
Minors (Single A)

Did he win any games before the streak started?

Thanks for sharing this, I love when these type of oddities happen.
thriller13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

He started the streak in mid-1961...at some point he raised his record for the season to 4-11 before dropping his final 14 decisions of the '61 season and then losing all 22 decisions in the 1962 season (putting his career record for the Senators at 4-47!). He did finally retire after the 1964 season, by the way, meaning his 36 game losing streak will continue into all eternity...
Old 02-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Ike348
All Star Starter

Could you post his ratings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Since he's now retired all I've got left are his OSA ratings history...for what it's worth my scouts usually thought of his control as being in the mid-20s. I'd drafted him in 1950 in the hope that he could harness his control and develop his great stuff potential, but he had a major elbow injury that ended any chance of that. As you can probably guess, the Red Sox were pretty lousy in the '50s, although nowhere near as bad as those Washington teams he ended his career on...lost an average of 112 games his two seasons there.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 02-14-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Ike348
All Star Starter

Ouch. Is he a real-life player?

EDIT: Never mind. Here is his bb-ref page. http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...urlebo01.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.

Last edited by Ike348; 02-14-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

A real-life reminder of how volatile pitchers can be...basically four good seasons wrapped around a lot of dreck. Also check out the trade the Yankees made to acquire him...a 10 for 7 player swap. What did they think they were doing, playing some of the older versions of OOTP?