Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

19th Century

Trying to play the 19th century is like messing with a sore tooth. I know I shouldn't do it, especially since the 20th century is so good now, but I can't help myself. My latest problem is that the fictional 2 subleague structure seems to be hard coded into the replay. Even when I edit it, I can't import a real schedule matching the new structure, because the game still says the structure for the real schedule is wrong. Has anyone else been successful in getting an 1871 or 1876 up and running?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
Sparrow
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Trying to play the 19th century is like messing with a sore tooth. I know I shouldn't do it, especially since the 20th century is so good now, but I can't help myself. My latest problem is that the fictional 2 subleague structure seems to be hard coded into the replay. Even when I edit it, I can't import a real schedule matching the new structure, because the game still says the structure for the real schedule is wrong. Has anyone else been successful in getting an 1871 or 1876 up and running?
You have to edit the schedule generated by fhommess (by memory, sorry if I misspelled) so that it says the correct number of teams and games. I changed both the name of the schedule file, a couple places within the first few lines of the file, and the number of games scheduled in the in game schedule editor and got it to work.

I did this for 1871.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
You have to edit the schedule generated by fhommess (by memory, sorry if I misspelled) so that it says the correct number of teams and games. I changed both the name of the schedule file, a couple places within the first few lines of the file, and the number of games scheduled in the in game schedule editor and got it to work.

I did this for 1871.
Thanks. So you just change the schedule file to say it's for 2 subleagues of 4 teams each?
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Sparrow
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks. So you just change the schedule file to say it's for 2 subleagues of 4 teams each?
Oh, In that case disregard my advice. The schedule I was referring to requires only 1 subleague of 9 teams. I think I may be in over my head to try to help with anything else. Sorry.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Oh, In that case disregard my advice. The schedule I was referring to requires only 1 subleague of 9 teams. I think I may be in over my head to try to help with anything else. Sorry.
I'm just trying to figure out what you did to make this work for 1871, because the process will be the same. Correct me where I'm wrong:

1) You started an out of the box 1871 Historical Replay.
2) You edited the league structure to delete the AL subleague and put the correct 9 teams in the NL subleague. Those were my first two things to do, only for 1876.
3) Then you edited the as-played schedule file. What did you name it? What changes did you make inside the file?
4) Then you successfully imported that file into your 1871 game.

Sorry to be dense about this, and I really should go back to a nice 1901 replay I've started, but I'm too stubborn.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

This is the schedules you need for 1871-75.
All you have to do is to clear the game generated schedule in the editor and import the one you need. Also you must adjust the number of game by team in the league option to reflect what is on the schedule file.

national_association_ml_c_1871_t9_g30_as_played.ls dl = 30 games
national_association_ml_c_1874_t8_g60_as_played.ls dl = 60 games

I'm not the one who did them and always check if the correct game schedule is applied to the correct team (I don't have a clue why but I often had mixed up between Baltimore/Maryland, the 3 Philadelphia teams and some others I forgot)

edit : Evidently you must edit the league structure to reflect how it was in real life.

Last edited by AESP_pres; 04-09-2012 at 03:23 PM.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
Sparrow
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out what you did to make this work for 1871, because the process will be the same. Correct me where I'm wrong:

1) You started an out of the box 1871 Historical Replay.
2) You edited the league structure to delete the AL subleague and put the correct 9 teams in the NL subleague. Those were my first two things to do, only for 1876.
3) Then you edited the as-played schedule file. What did you name it? What changes did you make inside the file?
4) Then you successfully imported that file into your 1871 game.

Sorry to be dense about this, and I really should go back to a nice 1901 replay I've started, but I'm too stubborn.
Yeah, that's exactly what I did. It should work for 1876 too without editing the file. I'm pretty sure 1871 is the only one that's had errors.

What you do need to do is under League setup--> Options--> make sure you have # of games the same as what the schedule file has

I'm not in front of the computer so some of this is conjecture, but again the file should be something like g#. That number needs to be the same in the game for games played on the options page
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post
All you have to do is to clear the game generated schedule in the editor and import the one you need. Also you must adjust the number of game by team in the league option to reflect what is on the schedule file.

I'm not the one who did them and always check if the correct game schedule is applied to the correct team (I don't have a clue why but I often had mixed up between Baltimore/Maryland, the 3 Philadelphia teams and some others I forgot)

edit : Evidently you must edit the league structure to reflect how it was in real life.
That last may be the step I missed. I edited the teams but didn't find the League options menu to edit the structure there. I'll make one more run tonight, since that is the series of schedules which I was trying to use. 1901 is a good year, and I'll return there if this doesn't work. I appreciate everyone's help.

Edit: The historical transactions and pitchers for the period, plus the incorporation of career stats into the pbp are major advancements from my point of view, and I'd lose all that by backing up to 1876 unless I can add them later.

Last edited by swampdragon; 04-09-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Markus mentioned in General Discussions he would fix 19th Century baseball so it would work historically by using the new associations attributes. Later. In a patch.

Hope so.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

WOW! Best thing I've read about OOTP 13

Can you tell me where Markus said it, I can't find it

Edit :
If he look at this I hope he will try to add the Union Association (1884) and the Players League (1890) at the league structure for the year they were there.

Last edited by AESP_pres; 04-09-2012 at 11:04 PM.
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I did get an 1876 replay up and running. Thanks for the help. As usual, it was something dumb. I had deleted all the teams in subleague one but I hadn't deleted the subleague. And Markus is really going to make this work out of the box? That would be great.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I tried with the same database i used for 12 so i could have the actual teams that played but it wouldnt work. So then i use the database that comes with the game but used my edited teams file and it worked. Gonna go and test my other edited database files so i can hopefully have players import to correct teams like i had in 12.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #13
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AESP_pres View Post

The problem in 12 was it no longer sorted by city name then nickname. It only sorts by city name.
OOTP 11
Baltimore Canaries =1
Baltimore Marylands =2
OOTP 12, 13?
Baltimore = 1 or 2
Baltimore = 1 or 2
You also find this in the team selection. Boston Americans may appear after Boston Beaneaters for instance or Athletics after Phillies.

The solution isn't sexy but it works. Name like this.
Baltimore Canaries
Baltimore(M) Marylands
Philadelphia Athletic
Philadelphia(C) Centenials
Philadelphia(W) White Stockings
Washington Nationals or Blue Legs
Washington(O) Olympics

Then the schedule works right.

Last edited by Biggio509; 04-12-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I did get an 1876 replay up and running. Thanks for the help. As usual, it was something dumb. I had deleted all the teams in subleague one but I hadn't deleted the subleague. And Markus is really going to make this work out of the box? That would be great.
The problem was that the game does not handle contraction well with auto-import nor adding a subleague when needed. So Markus and co. set up a quasi-historical 19th century with an AL and NL that would only expand over time and not contract. This is why a draft is recommended. The historical teams some guys played for do not exist and some teams did not exist at the time.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I was able to get it to work so thatthe correct teams show up and players go to correct teams. If Markus could make it so we could start with an odd number of teams we wouldnt have to have the fake AL in 1871. Not sure why that cant be done since we can expand to odd number of teams after the league is started. Schedules would not be problem as we could use real schedules or the as played schedules
Old 04-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #16
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Can someone do a quick start on this? Please

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:11 PM   #17
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Im not sure a quickstart will help if you want the real teams cause you will need to edit the database and unless the game can do the actual transactions you will often have teams with not enough players where if the real transactions are used along with the as played schedules you should have enough because its the same setting as the real thing
Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #18
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...n-created.html

This is where Markus says he will add what we need in a patch.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

The ability to add and delete leagues from an association should make life easier. We change the National Association to the National League in 1876 and then add a new league for the American Association in 1882. The Union and Players Leagues would be independent, except that I'd like for Players League stats to be included in major league stats. You can disband the association in 1892 and go back to the single league, adding the American League as an associated league in 1901. That covers everything except interleague play without adding and deleting subleagues and screwing up league histories. The way I play, I'll never get to the interleague era anyway.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I decided to make a simplified transaction file for the 19th century. Because even though retrosheet may have a date correct i wonder if its a problem within ootp. What i mean is and correct if im wrong but doesnt a player that unretires go to the last team he played for? To me that seems wrong. Players should be unretiring and going to the first team they played for after unretiring. But if either team doesnt exist anymore i can see how that might confuse the game.

So i decided to have all players who signed with a new team released on Dec 31st. Excluding players a who missed a year or their team folded. Obviously i will have to sign those players to correct team on Jan 1st of the new year.

It sounds complicated but i think it will be simple once im done. Im not gonna have exact player trades but rather just the date they were released from a team and the date they signed with a new team. Because basically thats all i want is players on correct teams. I think having accurate transactions and schedules is vital to 19th century play as far as being historically accurate and playable. If you have the same rosters in the same time as real life then there should be less chance of teams running out of players or a team's pitcher more games cause i didnt use the as played schedules. I always use the as played schedules because imo the results are more accurate but i could be wrong.