Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
FlaviusFlav
Minors (Double A)

How to respond to AI saying you can add a player and they will accept the trade

Most of the time when I make a propose a trade and the AI says "I'll have to think about it" they respond by saying, "However, if you add any of the following players, we'd have a deal"

Any time I have tried to add one of the players they specified to the deal they respond NO WAY! Even if i keep going down this rabbit hole they keep saying to add another player over and over and always say NO WAY.

I'm trying to add the player using the "Respond to Message" drop down and selecting "Discuss trade again"

Is this the wrong way? I don't see any trade listed under "Pending" that I can otherwise work with.

FlaviusFlav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:46 AM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I can't say that this is the wrong way, but I guess it isn't a way I ever use.
Pretty much exclusively I use the "make this work now" button in trade negotiations and then if I am okay with parting with one of the players on the list I add them and the deal is a go. Now, often none of the players on the list am I willing to part with, at least in the deal as it stands, so this tells me just how far apart we are in the negotiations.
But if I do add someone from this list, I can't think of a time when the deal didn't go through.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #3
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Just to be clear, you MUST add one of the players they suggest by responding with "Discuss Trade" and clicking the player you wish to add. The "Complete Trade" button becomes activates and you press it.

Going to your trade screen and proposing a new trade with the player added will likely NOT work. I don't know why -- and it is counter intuitive -- but it has always been this way.

So don't fight it, discuss the trade, select the player, push the "Complete" button.

It will work.
Old 02-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #4
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Just to be clear, you MUST add one of the players they suggest by responding with "Discuss Trade" and clicking the player you wish to add. The "Complete Trade" button becomes activates and you press it.

Going to your trade screen and proposing a new trade with the player added will likely NOT work. I don't know why -- and it is counter intuitive -- but it has always been this way.

So don't fight it, discuss the trade, select the player, push the "Complete" button.

It will work.
That is not the way it is supposed to work. If you just use the "make it work" button every time than why even submit a trade for approval and go through all of that if you can just use the "make it work" button instead? The whole point of them coming back with guys to add is so you can reconstruct the trade.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #5
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
That is not the way it is supposed to work. If you just use the "make it work" button every time than why even submit a trade for approval and go through all of that if you can just use the "make it work" button instead? The whole point of them coming back with guys to add is so you can reconstruct the trade.
I don't follow you here.
They way I see the make it work button is basically you saying, okay, what player could I add to this deal to make it work for you.
They give you a list. If there is anyone even that would make the deal okay for them. The list might be small, the list might be large. It might be a list of players you would never part with in a million years to make the current proposal work. Or maybe they don't need much more and a mediocre minor leaguer will make them happy.

How is that not how it's supposed to work? Isn't it just another part of the negotiation process, albeit perhaps a bit truncated (this is a game, after all)?

The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
Old 02-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
I don't follow you here.
They way I see the make it work button is basically you saying, okay, what player could I add to this deal to make it work for you.
They give you a list. If there is anyone even that would make the deal okay for them. The list might be small, the list might be large. It might be a list of players you would never part with in a million years to make the current proposal work. Or maybe they don't need much more and a mediocre minor leaguer will make them happy.

How is that not how it's supposed to work? Isn't it just another part of the negotiation process, albeit perhaps a bit truncated (this is a game, after all)?
You are conflating two different systems. Yes, the "make it work now" button works exactly as intended. It is not however intended to be used once you get the email back from the owner saying "NO WAY" if there are players listed in that email that they say they will accept. You should be able to go back to the trade screen and add one of those people from the email to the trade. The "make it work now" system should have nothing to do wit it. "Make it work now" should be there only to avoid going through the longer process of submitting the trade for approval and waiting for a response. Like if you are trying to trade away a protected player on the Rule 5 Draft day in order to make room for another player, "make it work now" is perfect because you don't have the luxury of waiting a few days to complete the trade. Same idea when trying to complete trades on the day of the trade deadline. However, during the offseason or any other period where time is not of the essence, one should be able to use the email reply as the basis for reconstructing and completing the trade. The fact that we still have to use the "make it work now" and can't just add the player the other owner said they would accept is a bug.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are conflating two different systems. Yes, the "make it work now" button works exactly as intended. It is not however intended to be used once you get the email back from the owner saying "NO WAY" if there are players listed in that email that they say they will accept. You should be able to go back to the trade screen and add one of those people from the email to the trade. The "make it work now" system should have nothing to do wit it. "Make it work now" should be there only to avoid going through the longer process of submitting the trade for approval and waiting for a response. Like if you are trying to trade away a protected player on the Rule 5 Draft day in order to make room for another player, "make it work now" is perfect because you don't have the luxury of waiting a few days to complete the trade. Same idea when trying to complete trades on the day of the trade deadline. However, during the offseason or any other period where time is not of the essence, one should be able to use the email reply as the basis for reconstructing and completing the trade. The fact that we still have to use the "make it work now" and can't just add the player the other owner said they would accept is a bug.
Ah, now I follow you.
But no, I wasn't conflating two different systems. I was merely describing the approach that works for me. I never suggested that one use the make it work button in conjunction with a more prolonged negotiation process over days involving email responses. I was merely suggesting to the OP that if he is having no luck with this approach, the make this work now approach might be a better (or, at least, more effective) one for him to use.
Now, as to whether the other process works as intended or not, it was never my intention to take any stance on that. Nor did I.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
Ah, now I follow you.
But no, I wasn't conflating two different systems. I was merely describing the approach that works for me. I never suggested that one use the make it work button in conjunction with a more prolonged negotiation process over days involving email responses. I was merely suggesting to the OP that if he is having no luck with this approach, the make this work now approach might be a better (or, at least, more effective) one for him to use.
Now, as to whether the other process works as intended or not, it was never my intention to take any stance on that. Nor did I.
Well that's what this whole thread is about. We only brought up the "make it work" function as a "work around". Leo the Lip and later you seemed to conflate the two of them as if they were a part of the same process. That's why I posted the reply in opposition of what Leo the Lip had stated.

Last edited by Dyzalot; 02-11-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #9
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
The part ;you are overlooking is that if you DISCUSS the trade and hit the MAKE IT WORK button you will see the exact same list of players that the email says the team will accept. If you now choose one of those players and submit the trade, it will go through.

It isn't a 'work around' it is the exact same list! What is the problem with that?

This is how the game works. What you are asking for currently does not work (and I understand you want that to work). Since the game produces the result you desire, I don not see this as a significant issue.

If you play the game the way it was designed, it works. If you try something else--good luck to you!

Last edited by Leo_The_Lip; 02-12-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Leo_The_Lip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
thklein
Major Leagues

I never submit a trade after the other GM says they need to think about it. I just click "make it work" and there is almost always a player on the list I don't mind giving up (because the fact that he didn't say no means we were already close.)

Does the other GM ever accept the deal after thinking about it? When I used to use that feature they always came back and said no.
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:57 PM   #11
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post
I never submit a trade after the other GM says they need to think about it. I just click "make it work" and there is almost always a player on the list I don't mind giving up (because the fact that he didn't say no means we were already close.)

Does the other GM ever accept the deal after thinking about it? When I used to use that feature they always came back and said no.

I've had it happen once or twice.

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 PM   #12
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
The part ;you are overlooking is that if you DISCUSS the trade and hit the MAKE IT WORK button you will see the exact same list of players that the email says the team will accept. If you now choose one of those players and submit the trade, it will go through.

It isn't a 'work around' it is the exact same list! What is the problem with that?

This is how the game works. What you are asking for currently does not work (and I understand you want that to work). Since the game produces the result you desire, I don not see this as a significant issue.

If you play the game the way it was designed, it works. If you try something else--good luck to you!
The bolded is untrue in my experience. For one thing, sometimes they accept the deal without adding anyone. And there are also times where some of the players listed in the email are not listed in the "make it work now" drop down. Also, why do I have to go through the "make it work now" button instead of just manually adding a player from the email list? That's the problem.

Also, if we are just supposed to use the "make it work now" button then what's the point of the email listing players? Why not just refer to that process in the email instead?

Last edited by Dyzalot; 02-12-2020 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post

I've actually had it happen twice out of my last five trade offers. Pretty sure though that it happens less than 10% of the time overall.