Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #1
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Playoff Roster

Need some help when prepping for the playoff roster. Suggestions would be appreciated.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Boy so many things to cover here...

Here's what I keep in mind.

1) Make sure any players you definitely want in the playoffs are on your active roster when you go from 8/31 to 9/1. If there's someone in your minors you want over some scrub, waive/DFA the scrub and bring the prospect up before you advance to 9/1. OOTP used to allow players DFAed to still be eligible for playoffs (this may have been corrected/adjusted), so you might still be able to include the scrub on the playoff roster. And of course you can put him back on the active roster before he clears waivers once rosters expand. I try not to abuse this too much, but it's there.

2) Anyone on your DL when you advance to 9/1 should be eligible. This *should* include players on rehab.

3) This is important - if you have anyone get hurt in September, I never put them on the disabled list. Wait until the postseason has started but before you play your first game. When you go to set your playoff roster, place any players still injured on the DL - that will make sure you get your injury replacements. If you don't do it this way, you may or may not. And be careful if there's someone on your DL who's going to be healthy midway through the playoffs, as it can be sometimes difficult to get him from the DL back on to your playoff roster. In older versions I had to option/waive enough players to get my "active roster" down to 24 before I could activate him. This bug may have been fixed.

4) When constructing your roster, keep in mind that you can't make roster moves during a playoff series. So make sure you have enough players at each position to survive multiple postseason injuries.

Those are my basic rules of thumbs. Look forward to hearing others.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
mmarra82
Major Leagues

So if a player is on DL come September 1, say he was placed on August 20th, he is still eligible for the playoff roster when his DL time comes to an end?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

The number of pitchers vs position-players could vary depending on era (or settings) you have. For example, if you are playing, say, pre 80's era and you have strong, high-stamina starting pitchers but maybe only one or two reliable relievers, you could consider going with just 9 - or even 8 pitchers. But if you are going with more-modern settings, then you'll probably want an 11 or 12-man staff.

Along those same lines, you'd want to take into account your playoff schedule. If you're going with cookie-cutter OOTP playoff scheduling, then you'll probably be able to go with a three-man rotation. However, if you are editing playoff schedules to match, say, pre-60's World Series (where some series - depending upon geography - had no off days), or the first few years of the five-game LCS' (where there sometimes were no off days), you'll likely need a four-man rotation... So this could affect how many pitchers you'll need - and which ones.

Other things to consider:
1) If both your starting catcher and his backup or not very good hitters, you might want to consider having a third catcher on your roster so you are covered, for example, to be able to pinch-hit for the starter late in a game, and then also pinch-hit for the backup in extra-innings.

2) Tying into both the pitching staff and the catcher scenario above, you are more-likely to have room for the 3rd catcher if you have a smaller pitching staff and/OR a reserve fielder who is able to handle multiple positions. If, for example, you are lucky enough to have a guy or two on your bench who can handle all 3 OF positions, an IF position or two, runs well, and hits ok, then you can add that extra catcher or perhaps a guy who does nothing well but runs like the wind (always nice to have a few pinch-running options).

3) Back to the pitching staff: Check out the hitters on the opponent. If, for example, they have several really good-hitting left-handed hitters, you'll want to make sure you have a few left-handed options in your bullpen. You may even want to adjust your starting rotation for this (this is what the KC Royals did in their 4 LCS matchups with the Yankees from 76 thru 80 - especially the first few years when they used Larry Gura and - to a lesser degree - Andy Hassler as two of their main starters despite them either not being a regular member of the rotation and/or not being among the more effective starters during the regular season).

4) The flip side of #3: If the other team's strength is, for example, left-handed pitching, make sure you have some options for right-handed bats off the bench (and perhaps in your starting lineup, if your LH hitters don't hit lefties so well). And also consider who will be taking the field after you pinch-hit for these lefty hitters.

5) If you are playing with the DH, then this might give you more flexibility because, obviously, you won't have to pinch-hit for your pitchers, meaning - theoretically - you would need to pinch-hit less and would need fewer pitchers... This would open up possibilities for the 3rd catcher, an extra pinch-runner, a couple of good-glove guys, etc.

6) In the unlikely event that you have a pitcher who can hit and/or run, you could certainly take those factors into account when determining the back end of your pitching staff.

Just some things to think about.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
hefalumps
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarra82 View Post
So if a player is on DL come September 1, say he was placed on August 20th, he is still eligible for the playoff roster when his DL time comes to an end?
Yeah if the player was placed on the DL before September 1st, he'll be eligible for the playoff roster. You may or may not end up having trouble getting him off the DL and onto your playoff roster (depending on when you get him back on your active roster), but he'll be eligible.
hefalumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 AM   #6
gosensgo101
Minors (Triple A)

I think I have a fairly aggressive strategy when it comes to playoff rosters. I'll touch on a few points made above and add a few more.

Players on rehab do as 8/31 turns to 9/1 are eligible for the playoff roster. I often use this to my advantage, sending or leaving a guy on rehab for an extra couple days if I'm not scraping for every win in order to give myself some extra roster flexibility come playoff time.

Also I don't believe keeping a guy off the DL until the playoffs start has any affect. If 5 guys go on the DL during the month of September, you're going to get 5 extra slots on the playoff roster.

As for the differences in constructing a playoff roster vs. a regular season roster, I always elect to add an extra bench player for the playoffs, going with an 11-man pitching staff. If my bullpen is particularly effective or has multiple guys with starters' stamina in it, I'll consider going down to 10.

For modern day 5-game Division Series, I would set up your rotation as follows, if possible (and if you don't want to use pitcher(s) on short rest).

Game 1 - #2 SP
Game 2 - #1 SP
***OFF DAY***
Game 3 - #3 SP
Game 4 - #4 SP
***OFF DAY ***
Game 5 - #1 SP

By starting your #2 starter in the first game, you still get two starts out of your ace, but your #2 starter will be available out of the bullpen for games 4 and 5, and possibly in game 3. You can also use your #4 starter for an inning (No more than 20-25 pitches) in game 1. Being willing to use your starters in relief allows you to go down to an 11 or 10 man pitching staff a little more comfortably.

Also, don't be afraid to use your relievers early and often, especially if you have a strong and deep bullpen. There are enough off days in the post season that your relievers should only need a game or two off per series.

Be aggressive with pinch hitting when there is no DH. If you're down by a couple runs in the 4th and men are on, allowing the pitcher to bat may not be such a great idea, especially if he's not one of your better starters. After the game, re-evaluate the stamina of your a prematurely hooked pitcher. You might be able to bring him back as a reliever earlier than you originally expected, or bump his next start up a day.

This post may have turned into how to micromanage your pitching staff in the playoffs more than anything, but I hope some of this helped nonetheless.

Last edited by gosensgo101; 04-05-2014 at 02:16 AM.
gosensgo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 AM   #7
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
JackRules1
Minors (Triple A)

If I have a September injury to a key player, I may not DL him, so that when he is ok to go in the middle of a series I can put him right into the lineup. I only do this if I feel I can afford to be one player short for a game or two. You would need to look at the timing of him being able to return to the lineup.

At the start of a series I go to my transactions page, open up Playoff Roster on the top left, and open up Playoff Eligible on the top right. This helps me keep everything straight (because I'm old).
JackRules1 is offline   Reply With Quote