Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 02-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
BostonUniversityBreakBeat
Bat Boy

Canadian Women's Hockey League

I know there are a myriad of things to consider, approach, modify and address with future updates that are astronomically more pressing than this. And I know that the OOTP team is working on a crazy schedule to get patches made. So this suggestion seems trivial, but I think it would be fun/cool/interesting to include the Canadian Women's Hockey League in the game at some point.

As the seasons progress, it's another way to expand the hockey universe. Will women join the NHL? Will they succeed? Etc. It also seems timely with the Noora Raty making her statements about the economic pratfalls of being a woman athlete.

Again, I know this is primarily suited for a small portion of FHM players, but it's something to think about.
BostonUniversityBreakBeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonUniversityBreakBeat View Post
I know there are a myriad of things to consider, approach, modify and address with future updates that are astronomically more pressing than this. And I know that the OOTP team is working on a crazy schedule to get patches made. So this suggestion seems trivial, but I think it would be fun/cool/interesting to include the Canadian Women's Hockey League in the game at some point.

As the seasons progress, it's another way to expand the hockey universe. Will women join the NHL? Will they succeed? Etc. It also seems timely with the Noora Raty making her statements about the economic pratfalls of being a woman athlete.

Again, I know this is primarily suited for a small portion of FHM players, but it's something to think about.
Weird I was thinking about this just today. I know Basketball Pro Manager 14 has the Woman's teams on it (but please stay away from that game). As for adding the league, other then, adding women as part of the FHM code, it wouldn't be so much work for the Devs as the leagues are added and worked on my researchers. Compile all the data you need and they ask them?
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

I haven't talked to the other guys about it, but adding women's hockey has crossed my mind as a (very) long-term project. The elite levels are good enough to be workable within our player model, and I couldn't think of any serious, unsolvable implementation problems. So not soon, but it could be a possibility down the road.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

the only reason anyone is thinking about this is because the Olympics. Once they pass so will the thoughts of woman's hockey. Personally I would have zero interest in woman's hockey in FHM especially if it is present in each modern day game. If it's made completely optional and could be removed entirely from any game (and not run in the background) then okay. But there is essentially zero connection between the leagues in the game now and woman's "professional" hockey leagues so in my mind it is very out of place. This would have to lead to other leagues like woman's minor leagues and college and it would just slow down the game more. From a purely fictional standpoint, it might be fun for a short period for the odd person but would wear off quite quickly. The Canadian Olympic team barely won against a bunch of 15 year old AAA team.

Personally I say any time invested in woman's hockey in FHM would be a waste. Again if things are made optional I wouldn't complain but I will say this, I can think of hundreds and hundreds of features that matter today that should be implemented ahead of this and with this being a low priority, if it ever gets added I would highly question FHM's priorities.

Most woman are not paid in their leagues, most of the owners lose so much money so it is typical for the players to pay. The development system would need major tweaking for this with additional leagues and so much more. If there is any woman coming up to the NHL one day - which is a longshot - it won't be through womans hockey...she'll play men's her entire career.

There has been woman in major junior. That would be their route to pro hockey...not through woman's leagues. Of course there was a woman in the NHL but that was nothing more than a publicity stunt pulled by the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-21-2014 at 09:10 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:05 AM   #5
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
the only reason anyone is thinking about this is because the Olympics. Once they pass so will the thoughts of woman's hockey. Personally I would have zero interest in woman's hockey in FHM especially if it is present in each modern day game. If it's made completely optional and could be removed entirely from any game (and not run in the background) then okay. But there is essentially zero connection between the leagues in the game now and woman's "professional" hockey leagues so in my mind it is very out of place. This would have to lead to other leagues like woman's minor leagues and college and it would just slow down the game more. From a purely fictional standpoint, it might be fun for a short period for the odd person but would wear off quite quickly. The Canadian Olympic team barely won against a bunch of 15 year old AAA team.

Personally I say any time invested in woman's hockey in FHM would be a waste. Again if things are made optional I wouldn't complain but I will say this, I can think of hundreds and hundreds of features that matter today that should be implemented ahead of this and with this being a low priority, if it ever gets added I would highly question FHM's priorities.

Most woman are not paid in their leagues, most of the owners lose so much money so it is typical for the players to pay. The development system would need major tweaking for this with additional leagues and so much more. If there is any woman coming up to the NHL one day - which is a longshot - it won't be through womans hockey...she'll play men's her entire career.

There has been woman in major junior. That would be their route to pro hockey...not through woman's leagues. Of course there was a woman in the NHL but that was nothing more than a publicity stunt pulled by the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Don't worry, if we ever add womans hockey to FHM it is way, way, way, way (way, way, way, way) in the future.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #6
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Don't worry, if we ever add womans hockey to FHM it is way, way, way, way (way, way, way, way) in the future.
can you also add lacrosse, because they are all a different world.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
can you also add lacrosse, because they are all a different world.
Nope, but maybe Curling as I played that once.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

@Dave
Great post! Your post made so much more sense then I could have possibly even tried to explain lol.

Now... I will speak for myself on this, I have absolutely no interest in being a GM or Coaching a women's hockey team simply because it is very much non existent and the only time women's hockey matters is during the Olympics.

I think people are getting a little Olympic drunk and that's fine, they're are handfuls of other things in this game if not more that need to be taken as a "Priority" over features such as this. And yes... I'd also second guess where time and money are allocated if this feature was made a priority over other things like "Online Leagues" or other very "Needful" features....

Suggestions are great and all but let's focus on what we need now as opposed to role playing dreams and adding almost needless features just for the heck of it..
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
Bat Boy

Quote:

I think I prefaced this by saying that there are quite a few other things, within the game, that need to be addressed. And that the - apparently superfluous -addition of women's hockey is for a small portion of people. That said, nobody needs to be weirdly incensed over the suggestion. The fact that three people have thought of this - even in passing - illustrates that the idea shouldn't be shirked entirely. Clearly you're not impressed with the thought; that's fine. But to paint with broad strokes and say that people are only into women's hockey because of the Olympics is lazy journalism. What an odd, snark inundated reaction. Cheers, though!
Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #10
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonUniversityBreakBeat View Post
I think I prefaced this by saying that there are quite a few other things, within the game, that need to be addressed. And that the - apparently superfluous -addition of women's hockey is for a small portion of people. That said, nobody needs to be weirdly incensed over the suggestion. The fact that three people have thought of this - even in passing - illustrates that the idea shouldn't be shirked entirely. Clearly you're not impressed with the thought; that's fine. But to paint with broad strokes and say that people are only into women's hockey because of the Olympics is lazy journalism. What an odd, snark inundated reaction. Cheers, though!
Simply put.. Handfuls of other features should come before this idea... cheers though!
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #11
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackIce View Post
Simply put.. Handfuls of other features should come before this idea... cheers though!
Are you quoting me? Because I just said that other features need to be applied first.

Last edited by BostonUniversityBreakBeat; 02-21-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #12
Garethw87

Let's all remember though that any leagues that are in or added to the game are the work of independent researchers and not Sebastian/Matle's time being 'wasted' (as most people put it) on them.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
StrikeFour
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
Let's all remember though that any leagues that are in or added to the game are the work of independent researchers and not Sebastian/Matle's time being 'wasted' (as most people put it) on them.
Indeed.

Can't find the help you need? Try here:
OOTP Developments - Kayako eSupport Help Desk Software
StrikeFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #14
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post

I don't like using the term "wasted", but in this rare case you are mistaken in your evaluation of using the term. There would have to be deeper changes required to implement womans hockey, not just rosters so in fact it would most definitely require work from the dev team.

And best of luck finding researchers for this.

I'm probably one of the few here who has actually attended a "professional" womans hockey league game that was not the Olympics. And I must say, it was not very good but those girls look like they have fun. I don't mean to rip on woman's hockey but I just don't really see the need for it in FHM. All it would do is give people a good 'what if' scenario that most would get sick of. Let's face it, stat based sport sims don't have any woman fanbase. If adding pro womans hockey will get a whole new fanbase then it would make sense but that isn't the case. Either way, I'm all for optional stuff.

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-22-2014 at 10:49 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Garethw87

I only use 'wasted' as that is what we see a lot on the forums by these 1 post type haters. 'stop wasting time with pointless leagues like this and that etc'