Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
seasideda
Minors (Double A)

1967 Yaz on his way to hitting 90+ Hr's. What???

Being New to OOTP I just set up my first leage and im wondering if Im playing and setting up my league right or if playing historical, OOTP has some flaws?

Im taking the best RedSox teams from various ERAS and so far the offensive numbers and ERA's are much higher than what you would expect, even in a fantasy league such as this. In early June Yaz has hit 35 Hrs, (on his way to 90plus) Ruth 28 and so on. The eras are also very high.

The Redsox teams cosist of teams from 1918-2007. All games are played at Fenway Park in 1975. Im using "real Stats".

I may try playing with the modifyers and stop using the DH. I chose an Era (1975) that had an average amount of offense and pitching. I may try playing a month in the dead ball era, then a month in the 1940's etc just to get the numbers down. But is there something else that may be causing the offensive explosion. .. Maybe they discovered steriods back in 1975 and started taking them earleir?

I know playing at Fenway will result in higher offense but how should I get the Offensive numbers to be "more realistic"?

seasideda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Stop using the DH, though that will quite obviously screw over the '03 and later teams. Don't change anything in midseason, though.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Elysian Fields
Major Leagues

Play it out and see if he hits over 90 home runs.
Elysian Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I have never seen a baseball sim that could deal with a collection of All-Star teams and come up with realistic stats. My first experience of this was with the APBA Original Franchise All-Stars in the 1970s. That package exposed the flaws in the APBA game system of good pitching dampening average far more than power, so that the best players would hit .235 with 45 homers. These things don't happen when dealing with an ordinary distribution of player abilities. I suspect something similar to be going on here, but I don't know enough about how the play results are generated to be able to say what it is.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis

Last edited by swampdragon; 05-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Park effects are likely part of what's going on. You're going to increase HR a decent amount just by playing all of the games in Fenway.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
seasideda
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Park effects are likely part of what's going on. You're going to increase HR a decent amount just by playing all of the games in Fenway.

Im going to try playing in another ball park just to see what happens.
Or, if its possible Im going to turn off park effects.

On the positive side, the players stats seem to be all relative to each others performance. Yes, Yaz is going HR crazy but he SHOULD lead the leauge in HR's, Avg and RBI given what he actually did in 1967. He is actually a triple crown threat in my league. Babe Ruth is 2nd in HRs and Ted Williams is second in BA with Tris Speaker third. So in that case its correct, its just the league Avg's and HRs that are out of Wack . Ill keep experimenting. I know there is a solution were individual stats can be more realistic even in this type of leauge.
seasideda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Just modify all of the Fenway park effects to 100 from the edit Ballparks tab. (League Functions screen). That should help.