Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 02-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #41
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Breaking News!

With the World Series almost concluded, the Chicago Cougars agreed to another trade, this time with the fellow 8th Place New York Gothams of the Federal Association. The Cougars sent a trio of three youngsters for Gothams' starting third basemen John Kincaid.

Kincaid, 25 in December, was originally the 4th Overall Pick by the Gothams out of Portland HS in the 1922 Amateur Draft. He's spent three seasons as the Gothams starter at the hot corner, hitting .328/.367/.455 (118 OPS+) with 11 homers, 48 steals, and 181 RBI's. He's also a pretty solid defender, with a +6.0 ZR and 1.013 efficiency rating. His youth is a huge factor for the Cougars, as while they likely won't make much noise next season, Kincaid should be starting his peak once the team is ready to make the next step. And considering Chicago didn't have a single player who was both an above average hitter and defender last season, Kincaid is likely the most well rounded player on the big league club right now. He doesn't have much power, but he's an above average hitter with excellent speed and dependable defense.

Of the three players they had to give up, SP Ben Curtin is the only with big league experience. The former 2nd Round pick checks in as the 11th Ranked prospect in the Cougars farm system. He made 9 starts for Chicago, going 3-4 with a 4.95 ERA (94 ERA+), 1.90 WHIP, and 13 strikeouts in 63.2 innings pitched. While he was better in AAA, going 10-9 with a 3.52 ERA (119 ERA+), 1.45 WHIP, and 72 strikeouts in 163.2 innings pitched, the Cougars front office felt comfortable parting ways with him as they anticipate more rotation upgrades in the offseason. Curtin doesn't quite have the upside of the Cougars other pitching prospects, however he's a safe bet for a big league rotation with a high floor.

A higher upside prospect was moved as well, the 8th Ranked Cougar farmhand Dean Astle. The 20-year-old was a 9th Round Pick in the 1927 draft out of Berkeley. The southpaw isn't a hard thrower, but he excelled in 18 starts for Class C La Crosse. He went 12-4 with a 2.90 ERA (114 ERA+), 1.29 WHIP, and 51 strikeouts before earning a promotion to San Jose. He seemed over matched there, and in those 13 starts he was 2-5 with a 6.83 ERA (68 ERA+), 1.73 WHIP, and just 9 strikeouts with 31 walks. There are also internal rumblings in the Cougars front office that they are unsure if the high upside youngster will be able to start in the FABL. It will be interesting to see the path the Gothams take with the developing youngster.

The last piece of the return was CF Erv Frith. Ranked 20th in the Cougars system, it was known that the Gothams were seeking CF prospects, and they got a toolsy righty. He's got elite speed and range and everything needed to become a Gold Glover in the middle of the outfield. The bat hasn't quite developed, but Frith also has been stuck in the endless outfield log jam in the Cougars system. George Jordan has unofficially been named the center fielder of the future, and Frith doesn't have the bat of other corner outfield prospects such as Vince York, Howie Moss, Earl Johnson, and Ed Rhoden.

The Cougars have now rebuilt their entire left side of the infield with the additions of Combs and Kincaid, which then creates healthy competition for the last starting spot in the infield. Mack Deal seems to have the inside edge over this year's Rule-5 Pick Harry Simmons. The 23-year-old Deal's name came up in trade talks with the Gothams, however, the Cougars held onto the former 6th Overall Pick. His Rookie Season wasn't perfect, as he hit just .304/.367/.387 (84 OPS+) with 5 homers, 23 steals, and 77 RBI's in 617 trips to the plate. His defense at the hot corner was also supbar, as his -6.3 ZR at .968 efficiency rating are marks to improve on. He doesn't have much experience at second base, but he'll have all spring to work on it. Simmons, 25, on the other hand, spent his whole season at short where he was average (-0.5 ZR, 1.010 efficiency) and will now focus his energy on learning second. A natural third basemen, Simmons will likely make the active roster regardless of the outcome of the second base job. His versatility in the infield and his .315/.360/.414 (88 OPS+) batting line from the left side of the plate will allow him to spell righties occasionally against right handed pitching. He also stole 20 bases, hit 2 homers, and drove in 74 RBI's as he survived the entire season as the starting shortstop despite being our 3rd pick in the Rule-5 draft.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #42
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Breaking News!

The Cougars stay busy, agreeing on a trade that will send CF Gene Ross and C Tex Young to the Washington Eagles for SP Tommy "Spooky" Russel.

Russel, 27, was the 19th Overall Pick in 1923 out of Lubbock State. He just concluded his third near identical (in terms of ERA+) season. In 102 big league games (96 starts), the lefty is 45-40 with a 4.36 ERA (98 ERA+), 1.44 WHIP, and 212 strikeouts while making at least 31 starts a season. A rather durable pitcher, Russel has a four pitch arsenal with a low 90s fastball. He has pinpoint control as well and he won't walk too many hitters. Russel joins Max Wilder as the second addition to the Cougars rotation since the season has concluded. He's currently the #3 starter in the Chicago rotation which still has two open spots for grab. The Cougars have been rumored to be in the market for multiple arms, so Russel is likely not the last addition for a team that finished 62-92 and tied for the worst record in baseball.

Ross, 20, was a 3rd Round Pick of ours in 1926 out of Memphis HS. A high upside youngster, Ross has elite speed and is an elite defender out in center. He also has great raw power and has hit 50 homers in the past three seasons with Class B San Jose. This season, he finished with a .317/.360/.468 (107 OPS+) batting line as well as 15 homers, 10 steals, and 80 RBI's. He's the second young center fielder the Cougars have moved, which shows their confidence in both Bob McCarty and George Jordan.

Young, 19, was our 17th Round Pick last draft out of Lynn HS.He spent most of his time with Class C La Crosse, hitting .293/.387/.436 (142 OPS+) with 4 homers and 37 RBI's in a really solid professional debut. Like Ross, he has a lot of power and is the second of his respective position (catcher) moved like teammate Ben Richardson who went to the Foresters in a six player swap.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:45 PM   #43
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Start of the Offseason

Now that the trades have all been finalized and official, I'll highlight some other transactions, but the offseason will be pretty slow since we don't really have Free Agents to sign. The biggest news will be the draft, which has already been kicked off.

We were picking first, and we went with what we felt was the obvious choice in P/1B Tom Barrell out of Georgia Baptist. Somewhat of a legend in the Figment realm, the younger brother of current Cougar C Fred Barrell was a rare four year college player who holds numerous records for counting stats both at Georgia Baptist and in the entire AIAA. On the mound, he finished 34-8 with a 2.54 ERA, 0.97 WHIP, and 489 strikeouts in 425 innings. He also owned a solid batting line (especially his senior season) and is a potential two-way superstar. He slashed .355/.401/.585 (151 OPS+) with 11 homers and 50 RBI's as a Senior and he can play a little of first and left. On the mound he throws in the high 90s with a fastball, slider, and change. At the plate, he's a disciplined hitter with average power and he can field his position. The 21-year-old is extremely developed and could be on a fast track to the Cougar rotation.

We have two picks in the second round, the 1st and 12th (from the Keystones in the Johnny Douglas trade) and will likely be targeting both a hitter and pitcher (if not two hitters). Our new scout Hal Bean (who makes more money then the rest of the team) will have his work cut out for him, but he's a much more skilled scout then our previous one. He's excellent at all three categories and I plan on keeping the 60 year old until he retires. Our old scout, Jimmy Reed, was average at everything except great at amateurs. It's a big upgrades in ratings, although Reed did a good job while he was there. I made a lot of good picks in the earlier drafts, but last year was rough and other then the '25 draft we haven't had much production from the other classes high round picks. I've done a lot of personal scouting on the pool, so I'm very confident in my perception of the draftees and I can use his knowledge on the actual ratings of the players to make sure I'm not taking a player who played well, but is actually useless on the field.

Two of the picks already made, Tom Blalock (4th, St. Louis) and Jake Shadoan (7th, Brooklyn), I would have considered trading up to take, however, with a busy real life weekend I didn't have the time to talk trade. I knew neither would fall to the 2nd Round, but with six picks before my next one I'm excited for who is left on the board. I don't want to give up who I'm looking at, but I do think I'm getting a second first round quality player with the pick. Ideally I'd grab a shortstop or center fielder with this pick, but there are a few SP's that catch my eye. I went pitching heavy last year and already took Barrell, so it may not be worth grabbing another risky commodity with a high pick. There is one guy I really like, but I likely won't be able to trade up to get him.

In a more minor move, we signed LF Bud Rogers to a minor league deal with an invite to spring training. He can opt out 30 games into the season if he isn't added to the 40-Man roster. He gives us depth in AAA and for the majors in case injuries hit us. He could be a dependable bench player as he can play at all three outfield spots. He didn't spend much time in the majors this season, but he owns a .315/.383/.448 (121 OPS+) career line with 38 homers and 343 RBI's from 1923-1929. Most of the time he spent was with Brooklyn except for a cup of coffee with the Stars this season and part of last season.
Old 02-10-2020, 06:46 PM   #44
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

1929 Draft: Round 2-5

2nd Round, 17th Overall: CF Joe Johnson (Central Ohio Aviators): I was hoping that SS Joe Foy would fall to this pick, but when he didn't, I was debating really hard between Johnson and high school CF Gail Gifford, but I decided to trust my scout and take the college guy. He has had some injury trouble in college, but he finished his three year career a .342/.438/.581 (183 OPS+) hitter with 22 homers, 37 steals, and 114 RBI's in 525 plate appearances. His junior season was his best, as he slashed .384/.463/.717 (210 OPS+) with 10 homers, 11 steals, and 58 RBI's. The 21-year-old is a speedy switch hitter who projects to hit for high contact from both sides of the plate with decent power as well. He's got good range, but not elite and while he looks like he can stick in center he may eventually have to move to a corner. He looks to have the tools to become a premier center fielder.

2nd Round, 28th Overall: SP Roy Byrd (Omaha HS Plainsman): Since I had two second round picks due to the Johnny Douglas trade I decided to take a risk on the 18-year-old righty who burst on to the scene this season in Roy Byrd. He was an average pitcher as a sophomore and junior, but was nearly unhittable this season. He went 5-1 with a 0.82 ERA (404! ERA+), 0.65 WHIP, and 60 strikeouts in 55 innings pitched. My scout isn't the biggest fan, but anyone who puts together a season like that has to have some sort of talent. He throws in the 90s and has a fastball, change, and slider. We are going to take it slow with him, but I have high hopes for the righty that he could anchor a rotation one day.

3rd Round, 33rd Overall: LF Jim Mason (Ellery Bruins): I usually avoid corner outfielders (especially this high), but Jim Mason is an excellent hitter who flat out hits. He's got elite contact and power potential which makes up for his below average defense out in left. He was just a two year player in college, but hit .382/.443/.582 (171 OPS+) with 18 homers, 11 steals, and 91 RBI's in 469 plate appearances. Mason reminds me a lot of Vince York, but with a little more speed. He looks to be pretty well developed, and should be able to fast track his way to the big leagues.

4th Round, 49th Overall: CF Ken Allen (St. Matthews College Senators): The problem with lists is sometimes you get a lot of the same position. This is what happened as I got a third outfielder in Ken Allen with my 4th Round Pick. It was a down year for Allen, but he finished his college career with a .353/.414/.595 (162 OPS+) line with 30 homers, 23 steals, and 109 RBI's in 663 trips to the plate for St. Matthews. He's a dependable defender who projects to hit for a high average and good eye. He looks to be a decent defender, but shapes up as a well above average future center fielder. My scout is a big fan, and I'm willing to bet that his 111 OPS+ this year was a fluke and the 195 and 184 the last two years are closer to the real him.

5th Round, 65th Overall: SP Gordie Thompson (Wisconsin State Brewers): When you look at his stats, Gordie Thompson doesn't look too impressive. He was 9-13 with a 4.28 ERA (112 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 218 strikeouts 235.1 innings pitched for Wisconsin State. He does have a nice four pitch arsenal and he lives in the low 90s, but that's not why I picked him. I took a leap of faith on him because OSA considers him to be the #4 draft eligible pitcher out of college. 5th Round Picks are the last round pick you have to offer a signing bonus to, and Thompson is asking for slot. Its a risky gamble selecting someone like him (especially since I can't see his ratings), but I think this might be a steal if my hunch on his actual talent is correct.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:09 PM   #45
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

1929 Draft: Round 6-25

Round 10 was the end of the human portion of the draft. I would have loved to pick in each round, however, I had to give the reigns to my scout when the remainder of the draft was completed through the in game lists. I'll do a report on my last five picks, and include the other players picked, where they played amateur ball, and their stat lines. There were a ton of players left on my Stats Lab list I would have loved to take, and will look to find some of them either as free agents or trade targets. I will also release any players that shouldn't have been drafted (i.e. guys who never started a college game, guys who are absolutely terrible, etc.) but the remainder I will look to sign.

6th Round, 81st Overall: 1B Jim Hatfield (Buffalo HS Bisons): It was an excellent senior season for Jim Hatfield who slashed .374/.428/.589 (191 OPS+) to finish his high school career. In three years as the starter, he hit .355/.407/.560 (160 OPS+) with 11 homers, 30 steals, and 68 RBI's. He's got excellent speed and is a great defender at first. It makes me think he may be able to handle a position other then first, but for now, the 18-year-old will spend his time there. "The Bandit" doesn't quite have the power you expect in a first basemen, but he's definitely no slouch. He's got an excellent work ethic, and I can see Hatfield developing into a dependable big leaguer.

7th Round, 97th Overall: SS Tom Spitzer (Houston HS Hurricanes): I may have reached with this pick, but Spitzer has solid pop as a shortstop and he should develop into a passable defender at short. He only started for a year and a half in high school, but hit .323/.361/.500 (154 OPS+) with 8 homers, 7 steals, and 47 RBI's in 266 trips to the plate. A bat like his is hard to find at second, although third base may end up being where he calls home. He's definitely going to be given the shot to stick it up the middle and I think he'll evolve into at least an average defender.

8th Round, 113th Overall: 2B Elmer Hutchins (Portland HS Lumberjacks): We continued the shift to high school prospects with a middle infielder from Portland HS. Hutchins best year was as a junior, but his .340/.396/.569 (154 OPS+) is extremely impressive. He hit 14 homers and drove in 86 runs in just over 100 high school games. He's not the greatest defender, but he's a good hitter who will make up for the mistakes he may make in the field. He's a low floor, high upside pick, but is of good value in the 8th round.

8th Round, 115th Overall: SP George Deemer (Washington DC High School Senators): This pick belonged to the Foresters, but we acquired it in the Barney Green trade. I used it to take a southpaw in George Deemer who seems pretty intent on going to college. I'm willing to persuade him not to, as he was an extremely consistent and dependable starter in high school. He finished his career 12-5 with a 2.88 ERA (152 ERA+), 1.21 WHIP, and 221 strikeouts in 169 innings pitched. He saw his velocity tick up 7 points this season and he hovers just under 90. He has a four pitch arsenal composed of a fastball, slider, change, and forkball. I'm giving him a lot of money to convince him to join our organization instead of testing the waters in college.

9th Round, 129th Overall: SP Phil Clarke (Dallas HS Rangers): He's a groundballer who doesn't throw all that hard, but Phil Clarke has the potential to pitch in a big league rotation. He was 11-8 with a 3.59 ERA (127 ERA+) and 1.44 WHIP to go with 124 strikeouts in 155.1 innings pitched. There's rumors that he developed a new pitch (knuckleball?) in August to go with his fastball, change, and, knuckle curve. If Clarke does develop the knuckle, his value could be on the rise.

10th Round, 145th Overall: CF Billy Marshall (Birmingham HS Bulldogs): After a rough junior year, the center fielder rallied with a dominant senior season that saw him hit .391/.419/.503 (178 OPS+) with a homer, 10 steals, and 32 RBI's. This was much more in line with his sophomore season (161 OPS+) then his junior year (72 OPS+) and Marshall regained some of his prospect shine. He's likely not going to stick in center, but my scout thinks he's going to flourish in the big leagues. So much so that I almost considered taking him as early as the 4th Round, although I am extremely glad I waited until Round 10. He should hit for a high average, and his 10 homers as a sophomore shows he may have a ton of raw power potential.

Here's the rest of the guys we selected:

11th Round, 161st Overall: SP Eddie Calhoun (Norfolk HS Navigators): 10-11, 4.34 ERA (105 ERA+), 1.60 WHIP, 71 K, 153.1 IP

12th Round, 177th Overall: CF Harry Jones (Ellery Bruins): .264/.360/.406 (103 OPS+), 10 HR, 38 SB, 48 RBI, 471 PA

13th Round, 193rd Overall: SP Roy Arnold (Little Rock HS Pioneers): 13-10, 3.33 ERA (146 ERA+), 1.36 WHIP, 156 K, 211 IP

14th Round, 209th Overall: LF Dave Ward (Henry Hudson Explorers): .311/.369/.450 (112 OPS+), 7 HR, 28 SB, 73 RBI, 520 PA

15th Round, 225th Overall: SP Frank Coleman (Buffalo HS Bison): 8-9, 4.74 ERA (94 ERA+), 1.49 WHIP, 90 K, 150 IP

16th Round, 241st Overall: 2B Bob Crocker (Coastal California Dolphins): .293/.356/.449 (124 OPS+), 7 HR, 7 SB, 32 RBI, 281 PA

17th Round, 257th Overall: SP Cy Plummer (Ellery Bruins): 15-6, 5.12 ERA (101 ERA+), 1.58 WHIP, 105 K, 147.2 IP

18th Round, 273rd Overall: SS Dan Harris (Frankford State Owls): .255/.305/.352 (73 OPS+), 7 HR, 52 SB, 56 RBI, 692 PA (released)

19th Round, 289th Overall: 1B Bill De Berardinis (Brunswick Knights): .285/.375/.365 (107 OPS+), 2 HR, 28 SB, 61 RBI

20th Round, 305th Overall: SS Allen Turner (Bayou State Cougars): .195/.262/.218 (31 OPS+), 0 HR, 1 SB, 34 RBI, 471 PA (released)

21st Round, 321st Overall: CF Tom Robinson (Cumberland Explorers): .277/.351/.355 (91 OPS+), 4 HR, 46 SB, 59 RBI, 678 PA

22nd Round, 337th Overall: RF Bobby Belcher (Sadler Bluecoats): .256/.363/.347 (97 OPS+), 4 HR, 26 RBI, 350 PA

23rd Round, 353rd Overall: SP Bob Flynn (Lincoln Presidents): 12-19, 15 SV, 6.65 ERA (71 ERA+), 1.76 WHIP, 173 K, 189.1 IP (released)

24th Round, 369th Overall: C Bud Ward (Opelika State Wildcats): .278/.338/.427 (104 OPS+), 16 HR, 5 SB, 81 RBI, 552 PA

25th Round, 385th Overall: CF Walt Bryan (Brooklyn HS Trojans): .199/.287/.305 (56 OPS+), 8 HR, 25 SB, 45 RBI, 509 PA (released)

Luckily, it only seems like only four picks were wasted and three of them came after the 20th Round. I sent 19 offers to undrafted players who I scouted before the draft and would have preferred to select over a majority of the guys taken by my scout (almost anyone other then Arnold and Crocker). I also sent offers on a few additional players who I think are better then what I ended up with. In particular, there were a lot of good high school pitchers (at least by my standards) that were left undrafted although I obviously won't be able to (or expect to) sign and keep all the guys I made offers on.

Of those we selected and already signed 1B Jim Hatfield (16th) is the lone addition to our top prospect list. I'm hoping all of my first 6th picks join him, although I know that will not happen. SS Tom Spitzer and 2B Elmer Hutchins, however, appear in at #3 for their respective positions in our organization. Spitzer sits behind our #2 and #4 prospects in the entire organization.

In minor transactional news, I released SP Vince DaCosta to make room for SP Lou Gaffin on the 40-Man roster.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:42 PM   #46
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

1929-1930 Offseason Part 1

The Rule-5 Draft is up next, as I set a list for who I would take and made a few additional transactions including the announcement of some draft picks agreeing to their bonuses.

2nd Round Pick Joe Johnson signed a bonus worth $2,320. He is currently ranked the #13 prospect in all of baseball as well as our new #1 prospect. 4th Rounder Ken Allen signed a bonus worth $770. He ranks as our 24th best prospect. Our second 2nd Round Pick Roy Byrd inked a $1,370 signing bonus. 5th Rounder Gordie Thompson, who ranks as our 19th best prospect, signed for a small bonus of just $10.

RP Andy Chastain, RP Benny Walker, RP Babe Wilder, C Tony Stewart, 1B Bobby Davis, 3B Ben Hathaway, SP Charley O'Hare and SS Charlie Gamble were all designated for assignment. RP Claude Purvis, C Herman Racheford, and 1B Bill Miller were added to the 40-Man roster.

Once all my picks sign, I plan on doing prospect reports on my top 30 prospects.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 02-12-2020 at 01:43 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:51 PM   #47
mjj55409
All Star Starter

Hey Gordie, here's 10 bucks. Buy yourself a nice dinner.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:58 AM   #48
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

1929-1930 Offseason Part 2

I really threw the Rule-5 Draft, as I forgot to copy and paste my list to each round. I wanted to get five guys, but instead, I got just Bill McClean, a 26-year-old SP. He wasn't the guy I liked the most, but I knew I needed pitching the most and I was expecting the other guys I wanted to fall to later rounds. McClean was Washington's 2nd Round Pick out of Brooklyn State from the 1924 draft. In 186.1 AA innings, he was 13-8 with a 3.04 ERA (146 ERA+), 1.37 WHIP, and 66 strikeouts. He's a four pitch pitcher who can hit 90 with his sinker. He'll compete for a rotation spot or end up in the bullpen.

8th Rounder George Deemer decided that a ton of money wasn't worth it to play with us, and will head to college. 1st Overall Pick Tom Barrell signed a $9,280 signing bonus. Shockingly he's only the 34th ranked prospect and second in our organization. Jim Mason doesn't look like he is going to sign.

We also signed about 30 undrafted free agents. For now, I'm keeping all the extra players, but eventually I will cut a lot of the organization while leaving a few replacement players in case of injury.

Made a few waiver claims as well, 23-year-old C Jim Kyle and 28-year-old 2B John Mallory. Kyle came from the Sailors who made him a 13th Round Pick in 1927. He was in the majors very quickly, hitting .200/.233/.243 (25 OPS+) and 4 RBI's in 70 at bats. He has two options left and the potential to become a decent backup catcher. Mallory came from Cleveland, but was the Stars 11th Round Pick in 1920. He's spent parts of three seasons in the FABL, hitting .281/.339/.322 (85 OPS+) with 28 steals and 49 RBI's. He's an excellent defender at second and will fill into a bench role.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #49
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospect List

Here is the official top prospect list I'll be using as we use a liquid rating system:

1. CF Joe Johnson (16th Overall): New
2. SP Tom Barrell (42nd Overall): New
3. SP Ben Turner (65th Overall): 2nd
4. SP George DeForest (70th Overall): 5th
5. SS Clyde Hinzman (86th Overall): 8th
6. SP Art Black (87th Overall): 28th
7. SS Slim Bloom (99th Overall): 12th
8. RF Vince York (116th Overall): 13th
9. SP Heinie Bretz (129th Overall): 4th
10. SP Lou Gaffin (144th Overall): 15th
11. SP Milt Nelson (162nd Overall): 22nd
12. CF George Jordan (179th Overall): 14th
13. SP Mickey Williams: 21st
14. RP John Peterson: Unranked
15. SP Bill Kline: Unranked
16. 1B Jim Fisher: 17th
17. SP Gordie Thompson: New
18. SP Mike Murphy: Not Ranked
19. RF Howard Moss: Not Ranked
20. RF Ed Rhoden: Not Ranked
21. C Woodie Dudley: Not Ranked
22. LF Earl Johnson: 20th
23. C Herman Racheford: Not Ranked
24. SP Joe King: Acquired from Philadelphia
25. LF George Alt: Not Ranked
26. RP Bob Bliss: New
27. SP Ed Stevens: Not Ranked
28. 1B Bill Miller: Not Ranked
29. RP Claude Purvis: Not Ranked
30. RP Buck Putnam: Not Ranked

A lot of new faces after a lot of graduates. George Jordan and Vince York are both for sure going to graduate while Gaffin, Bloom, and Nelson may as well. I'll get 1-5 in either tonight or tomorrow and work to get all 30 done before Opening Day. We just started the preseason, but there's at least a week before the 2030 season starts.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:26 PM   #50
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 1-5

CF Joe Johnson (16th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 2nd Round, 17th Overall (1929)
Alma Mater: Central Ohio Aviators
Last Year Rank: Not in organization

Our top prospect this year is CF Joe Johnson, who ranked 10 places higher then Mack Deal did last season. I'm actually shocked Tom Barrell isn't ranked higher, however the ranks only take account his pitching. Johnson was our 2nd round pick and I felt really lucky that he fell to us. It looks like this pick was a wise one to start, as my scout thinks he has "the dynamic tools needed to make an impact in the majors." In college, he hit .342/.438/.581 (186 OPS+) with 22 homers, 37 steals, and 114 RBI's for the Central Ohio Aviators. Johnson has elite contact potential and solid home run power. He has excellent speed which helps him track down a lot of balls in center. I'm hoping he has the range to stick, because I think Johnson can make an impact in the majors really soon. The switch hitter is scheduled to start the season with A Lincoln.

SP Tom Barrell (42nd Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 1st Round, 1st Overall (1929)
Alma Mater: Georgia Baptist Gators

The Continental Association had the first pick of the draft this year, so we selected who we felt was the obvious #1 pick in Tom Barrell. The two-way superstar is son of in universe baseball scout Rufus Barrell and the brother of the Cougars starting catcher Fred Barrell. A four year senior, Barrell finished his career 34-8 with a 2.54 ERA (186 ERA+), 0.97 WHIP, and 489 strikeouts in 425 innings. He holds numerous college records including career wins, innings pitched, and pitcher WAR. He's a pretty decent hitter who can play left and first base as well. He broke out at the plate his senior season, but he owns a .263/.342/.539 (130 OPS+) line with 26 homers and 86 RBI's. On the mound, my scouts thinks he "should end up near the top of the rotation" which is one of the greatest compliments a scout has ever given. He sits in the upper 90s and can graze triple digits with his fastball. He's not very tall, just 5'11'', but he really piles on the strikeouts. And at the plate he's expected to hit for double digit home runs with a good eye and solid feel defensively. For now, Barrell will be a two-way player, but I care more about his pitching. It would also be kind of cool if he becomes this league's Babe Ruth. One thing I know for sure, however, is Barrell is likely never leaving Chicago.

SP Ben Turner (65th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 9th Round, 131st Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Scranton HS Miners
Last Year Rank: 2nd

It looks like I struck gold here with Ben Turner, who has developed into one of the best young pitching prospects in the game. A high school arm from the Miners of Scranton High, he was flat out dominate in 219.2 innings. He was 15-8 with a 2.05 ERA (220 ERA+), 1.10 WHIP, and 210 strikeouts. It's rather shocking he fell, but it seems people are really hesitant to take high school arms. The now 21-year-old ended last season in AA Mobile with the Commodores. In 9 starts and 1 relief appearance, he was 3-6 with a 3.93 ERA (113), 1.37 WHIP, and 17 K. He is likely to stay in Mobile and may pitch in spring camp. He's a groundball pitcher with a low 90s sinker, curve, slider, and change. He looks to be a "mid-rotation option" with pinpoint command.

SP George DeForest (70th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 6th Round, 83rd Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: San Antonio HS Warriors
Last Year Rank: 5th

Another dominant high schooler, the righty was 13-4 with a 1.83 ERA (243 ERA+), 0.85 WHIP, and 230 strikeouts in 216.1 innings for San Antonio HS. He spent some time on the DL this year with shoulder inflammation that cost him his season in June. While he was healthy, he spent 12 of his 14 starts in San Jose with the Cougars. He was 6-4 with a 3.81 ERA (122 ERA+), 1.53 WHIP, and 30 strikeouts in 87.1 innings. These were very solid numbers for the recently turned 21-year-old who is trying to push his way up the ladder. He put on some velocity in the offseason once healthy, reaching 91-93 with his fastball, his best of four pitches. He gives up a lot of flyballs, but has the "potential to dominate" when he throws strikes. I'm debating where he will start the season, but I know it won't be in Lincoln.

SS Clyde Hinzman (86th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 6th Round, 84th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Washington DC HS Senators
Last Year Rank: 8th

What appears to be another good prospect in a really good 1925 draft class. The 22-year-old Clyde Hinzman was drafted for his glove, and he's put up a +56.7 ZR at short in a little over 5,000 innings. He had a solid showing in AA Mobile where he hit .306/.363/.419 (101 OPS+) with 3 homers and 57 RBI's. He earned the call to AAA in September so Slim Bloom could be recalled from the minors. He looked more then ready, hitting .380/.438/.535 (152 OPS+) with 2 homers and 18 RBI's in 81 trips to the plate. He's known for the glove, of course, but he has a solid eye and could be developing a stroke of power. If he does, we may have a cornerstone shortstop. I'd expect him to start the year in Milwaukee before eventually making at least a cameo in the big leagues if not an extended showing.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 02-15-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:08 PM   #51
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 6-10

SP Art Black (87th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 5th Round, 67th Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: Berkeley Bears
Last Year Rank: 28th

Checking in right below Clyde Hinzman is SP Art Black who had a meteoric rise in the Cougars farm system during the 1929 season. Part of the jump can be explained by the graduations and players traded out of the organization, but the 20-year-old was excellent in his first season as a starting pitcher. Despite starting in high school, Black pitched primarily out of the bullpen in 1928 because he threw just two pitches. Even with that, my scout felt he could start in the FABL and I decided to give him a shot. It paid off huge, as in his 30 starts for Lincoln, "Burger" was 13-9 with a 3.29 ERA (134 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 31 strikeouts in 187 innings pitched. He boosted his cutter velocity up to 92-94 during the offseason and there are rumors of him trying to work in either a slider or fastball to give himself a third offering. And despite being younger then nearly everyone in his level last season, Black is likely to see AA batting once the minor league season comes along. The only thing standing in his way, however, is a numbers game that may keep him with the Legislators for the start of the 1930 season.

SS Slim Bloom (99th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 13th Round, 219th Overall (1923)
Alma Mater: New York HS Eagles
Last Year Rank: 12th

Our last prospect rated in the top 100, Slim Bloom made his big league debut last September after a less then ideal showing with Milwaukee in AAA. He hit .274/.350/.347 (82 OPS+) with 2 homers, 12 steals, and 54 RBI's in 486 plate appearances. He's a dependable defender, as he managed a +7.5 ZR as his career total is approaching +20. He actually hit better in the majors, batting .324/.333/.471 (101 OPS+), albeit in a much smaller sample size of 37 plate appearances. He's a smooth defender with great speed, but Bloom is likely without a starting spot in the FABL. With Clyde Hinzman set to start at short for the Blues this season, Bloom will have to try to win a spot on the big league roster or end up learning a new position like second base. He has the upside to start in the big leagues, but a low floor of a dependable utility player.

RF Vince York (116th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 2nd Round, 25th Overall (1924)
Alma Mater: Wichita HS Jayhwaks
Last Year Rank: 13th

Unless he's absolutely pitiful in the spring, Vince York is set to be the every day right fielder for the Cougars come April. It currently shapes up as a four man outfield rotation between York, John Dibblee, Bob McCarty, and George Jordan. The switch-hitting York is just a season removed from hitting .407 with AA Mobile, and of course, he regressed a little last season. He spent most of his time in Milwaukee and hit .311/.359/.451 (110 OPS+) with 10 homers and 75 RBI's in just over 500 total plate appearances before being called up in September. He looked really good, hitting .429/.440/.490 (135 OPS+) with 3 doubles and 5 RBI's in 50 trips to the plate. He's a pure hitter projected to hit .360 and challenge for batting titles while offering double digit power from both sides of the plate. Defense is his one weakness, but we think he can be hidden in right. Even if he isn't able to provide much in the field, he should more then make up for it at the plate.

SP Heinie Bretz (129th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 4th Round, 51st Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Wilkes-Barre HS Warriors
Last Year Rank: 4th

It was a tough fall for Heinie Bretz who took a tumble from 4th to 9th in our prospect rankings where most players trended upwards. A sprained elbow did cost him a little over a month, but he looked really good with A Lincoln. He was 10-5 with a 3.01 ERA (147 ERA+), 1.28 WHIP, and 33 strikeouts in 104.2 innings pitched before earning the call to Mobile. He was shelled in his 4 starts there, but the 21-year-old was playing against significantly tougher competition. The righty saw his velocity jump from 85-87 to 89-91 in the offseason, and the groundballer will likely see both an increase in strikeouts and decrease in hits. He does a good job of limiting walks and home runs and should be a dependable rotation option as he continues to develop.

SP Lou Gaffin (144th Overall)
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agency (1925)
Drafted: 15th Round, 230th Overall by the Philadelphia Keystones (1922) and 14th Round, 224th Overall by the Boston Minutemen (1923). Released both times
Alma Mater: Pittsburgh HS Pipers and Holyoke HS Oaks
Last Year Rank: 15th

It was a rough season for the now 25-year-old Gaffin who looked to build on a really great 1928 season. He made just 10 starts for the Blues before an arthritic elbow cut his season short. In those 10 starts he struggled, going 2-4 with a 5.87 ERA (71 ERA+), 1.81 WHIP, and 30 strikeouts in 69 innings. He would have likely been given a shot in the Cougars rotation last season if he wasn't hurt, however, he now seems like an outside shot to make the team. He's got average control and decent stuff, but he also hasn't pitched since early July. We still have hopes that he can start, but for now those starts will be in Milwaukee, not Chicago.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #52
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 11-15

SP Milt Nelson (162nd Overall)
Acquired: Via Trade with the Brooklyn Kings (1928)
Drafted: 12th Round, 195th Overall by the Detroit Dynamos (1922) (released after) and 4th Round, 54th Overall by the Brooklyn Kings (1925)
Alma Mater: Louisville HS Titans and Bayou State Cougars
Last Year Rank: 22nd

Acquired in a trade a few seasons ago with Brooklyn for pitcher Buzz Hamm (who eventually won the ERA crown that season), Nelson was slightly below average in AA and AAA (99 and 95 ERA+) before making his big league debut. I needed to protect him in the Rule-5 Draft, so I gave him 2 starts in September that didn't got all too well. He allowed 18 hits and 13 runs with 13 walks and 6 strikeouts in 10.1 innings. The 25-year-old will likely start his season back in Milwaukee, but he will be given a few starts in the Spring. He has elite stuff and is a strikeout machine, who can throw mid to high 90s cutters past anyone at the plate. Control problems are the only thing preventing Nelson from being an ace, but he should still be a dependable starter in the rotation.

CF George Jordan (179th Overall)
Acquired: Via Trade with the Brooklyn Kings (1926)
Drafted: 1st Round, 17th Overall by the Brooklyn Kings (1923)
Alma Mater: Sacramento HS Governors
Last Year Rank: 14th

I can't believe how low Jordan is ranked, however, I still think he's going to be an Opening Day starter and one of the four outfielders in our starting rotation. I'm looking to give the 24-year-old switch hitter some reps in left and right as he is a much better defender then both John Dibblee and Vince York. As good as he is in center, Bob McCarty is likely to get most of the starts there, but Jordan is still likely to see starts in all three spots once the season is under way. With excellent speed and a powerful bat, he shined in 50 September plate appearances, going .422/.480/.600 (171 OPS+) with a homer, 2 steals, and 11 RBI's. Barring injury or a poor spring, Jordan should spend the rest of his time as a Cougar on the active roster.

SP Mickey Williams
Acquired: Via Draft: 5th Round, 67th Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Coastal California Dolphins
Last Year Rank: 21st

Our first non-top 200 prospect is former 5th Rounder Mickey Williams. The 25-year-old is going to be Rule-5 eligible at the end of the season, so I'm expecting him to make his debut in September. The lefty made 25 starts with AA Mobile, going 13-10 with a 4.04 ERA (110 ERA+), 1.46 WHIP, and 57 strikeouts in 216.1 innings. He then received a late call to Milwaukee, where he was 2-2 with a 3.86 ERA (108 ERA+), 1.61 WHIP, and 20 strikeouts in 37.1 innings. A groundballer who sits in the low 90s, Williams features a fastball, curve, slider, and change up. He's likely to be invited to Spring Training where he looks to continue on a really good season last year. Since debuting in professional ball in 1927, he has not had a below average season in terms of ERA+. He's not the shiniest prospect out there, but as we continue to look for starting pitching options, he's going to eventually get his shot to stick.

RP John Peterson
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1926)
Drafted: 6th Round, 99th Overall by the Detroit Dynamos (1922), undrafted in 1925
Alma Mater: Scranton HS Miners and Detroit City College Knights
Last Year Rank: Unranked

One thing about John Peterson is that he's always getting injured. Soon to be 26, he's already had 7 injuries lasting 4 weeks or more, and it's really taken a tole on him. Formerly a starter, Peterson is now looking to work strictly from the bullpen in an effort to save his arm. He's an extreme flyball pitcher who's a side-winding righty from Chicago, Illinois. His best pitching last season came in the pen for Lincoln, where he was 1-3 with 5 saves, a 2.63 ERA (167 ERA+), 1.22 WHIP, and 16 strikeouts in 41 innings pitched. I don't think there's much here, but he's going to be a filler pen arm wherever an arm is needed in our system.

SP Bill Kline
Acquired: Via Draft: 2nd Round, 19th Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Birmingham HS Bulldogs
Last Year Rank: Unranked

A former 2nd Round selection of ours, the lefty Bill Kline has finally surfaced on prospect lists. My scout has changed his opinion on him, as the one projected starter now looks like "he'll be on the shortlist for best relievers in the league" which isn't all too helpful in a league set in 1930. Regardless, we will continue to work Kline as a SP. He reached AA last season, likely where he will start, going 7-6 with a 4.41 ERA (101 ERA+), 1.45 WHIP, and 22 strikeouts in 118.1 innings across 14 starts. A groundballer who lives in the low 90s, Kline does a great job generating double play balls when needed and he has pinpoint control. His cutter is his best pitch and I still think the 24-year-old has what it takes to start in an FABL rotation.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:11 PM   #53
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 16-20

1B Jim Fisher
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agency (1925)
Alma Mater: Atlanta HS Peaches
Last Year Rank: 17th

An undrafted free agent out of Atlanta HS, Jim Fisher has tried his hand at a few positions, with first base looking like the only one he can play well. He had a dominant season in A Lincoln last year, slashing .380/.446/.505 (152 OPS+) with 9 homers and 84 RBI's. This was a huge increase to the 100 and 114 OPS+ he had the past two seasons in San Jose and the 22-year-old is likely ready for AA. He's got solid contact skills and average power, but no clear path to the starting lineup in the big leagues.

SP Gordie Thompson
Acquired: Via Draft: 5th Round, 65th Overall (1929)
Alma Mater: Wisconsin State Brewers

After signing for just $10, Gordie Thompson is the third highest ranked prospect in our system from the recent draft class. He wasn't great in college, but finished 9-13 with a 4.28 ERA (112 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 218 strikeouts in 235.1 innings. He saw his strikeout rates nearly half last season, which is a trend I am hoping he reverses. He got a nice velocity bump before the draft, going from 87-89 to 91-93. My scout even thinks he can become a "fifth starter or swingman" due to his excellent command of the strike zone. Fifth starter is a gold compliment, that more or less translates into middle of the rotation starter. The righty is set to open the season in Lincoln as he looks work his way up the system.

SP Mike Murphy
Acquired: Via Draft: 1st Round, 2nd Overall (1928)
Alma Mater: Brooklyn State Bears
Last Year Rank: Not Ranked

If CF Bobby Barrell wasn't hurt, I probably would have taken him #2 (he's a top 5 prospect in all of baseball...), but I decided to go with what I thought was a safer pick in Mike Murphy. A lefty from Florida, Murphy was 14-13 with a 2.48 ERA (179 ERA+), 1.17 WHIP, and 274 strikeouts in 257.1 innings for Brooklyn State. He started last season in Lincoln, and was absolutely dominant in his 8 starts, going 3-1 with a 1.62 ERA (272 ERA+), 1.06 WHIP, and 12 strikeouts in 44.1 innings. He was dependable in AA Mobile as well, going 9-6 with a 4.66 ERA (95 ERA+), 1.50 WHIP, and 46 strikeouts in 137 innings. Murphy is a sidearmer who sits in the low 90s and has "dominant stuff" and has "the chance to be an ace" as I viewed him when I selected him. Stamina issues may be the only thing holding him back, as he doesn't pitch too deep into games. I'm hoping he can be stretched out into a starter, and he might even see his big league debut this season if he can handle AA hitters and progress to AAA.

RF Howard Moss
Acquired: Via Draft: 4th Round, 51st Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: Garden State Redbirds

He spent most of last season in A Lincoln, but that almost wasn't the case as his name was brought up in trade rumors during the season. He hit well there, however, in 380 at bats, slashing .324/.381/.532 (140 OPS+) before a late season call up to AA. He also hit 11 homers and 83 RBI's split between B, A, and AA. A little on the older side, the 24-year-old Moss has an excellent eye that will lead to a high on base percentage. He did, however, take a significant step back last season as his -14.3 combined ZR is worse then his career -13.6 rating. If he can at least be passable in the outfield, Moss could be a second division FABL starter.

RF Ed Rhoden
Acquired: Via Draft: 13th Round, 196th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Nashville HS Hawks

Playing time was hard to find for the righty, he split time between A, AA, and AAA while only recording a few more then 350 plate appearances. His main purpose is for his defense in right. A natural center fielder, Rhoden has adjusted really well to the corner. He's got great speed and a decent arm and the 23-year-old may try to see some time in left if it benefits his playing time. I expect him to bounce around a ton, as he's on the lower bound of our prospects. I do think he can be an excellent utility player, but that may be the extent of his production.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #54
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Start of Spring Training

Spring Training kicks off tomorrow as the Cougars clubhouse filled up for the first time since last season. The non roster-invitees flooded in as each tries to make the most of their long shot roster chances. I'll detail each position group individually and highlight any potential roster battles. Projected locks for the opening day roster will be bolded (but they may end up at a different position or on the bench).

Rotation Candidates

Dick Lyons
Max Wilder

Tommy Russell
Cotton Taylor
Ace McSherry
Dick Kadlec
Gus Cain
Milt Nelson

Bullpen

Ace McSherry
Tommy Russell
Chick Meehan
Gus Cain
Ray Powell
Bill McClean
Claude Purvis
Michael Ivory
Ed Woodward

Likely to begin in minors

Fred Carter
Lou Gaffin
Bill Kline
Mike Murhpy
Ed Stevens
Mickey Williams
George Perkins
Pete Walker
Elmer Wood

Potential Position Player Starters

C Fred Barrell
1B Bill Ashbaugh
2B Harry Simmons
2B Mack Deal
3B John Kincaid
SS Russ Combs

LF John Dibblee
LF George Jordan
CF George Jordan
CF Bob McCarty
RF Vince York
RF Art Panko

Bench Options

C Slick Hostetter
1B Bill Miller
3B Mack Deal
3B Harry Simmons
2B John Mallory
SS Slim Bloom
SS Charlie Gamble
SS George Sanders
SS Tom Rogers
LF Dick Fessell
CF George Jordan
CF Bob McCarty
CF Joe Davis
CF Mike Smith
RF Johnny Johnson
RF Art Panko

Likely to begin season in minors

C William Dudley
C Jim Kyle
C Jim Stevens
C Herman Racheford
SS Clyde Hinzman
LF Earl Johnson
LF Bud Rogers
RF Art Fitts
RF Ed Rhoden
RF Ray Ross

The biggest battles of the spring will be for starting second basemen between second year big leaguers Harry Simmons and Mack Deal as well as the free for all for the final three rotation spots. I'm hoping we can avoid injuries and that Bill Ashbaugh's transition to first goes smoothly.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:31 PM   #55
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 21-25

C Woodie Dudley
Acquired: Via Draft: 3rd Round, 43rd Overall (1924)
Alma Mater: Elmira HS Emeralds

24 in April, Woodie Dudley has a good chance to earn a roster spot by the end of the season as he will be eligible for the Rule-5 Draft. My scout is a big fan, who believes he's a great defensive catcher with solid contact skills. He hasn't played above A ball, however, and spend most of his time in San Jose last season where he hit .321/.376/.433 (104 OPS+) with a homer and 72 RBI's. We've traded a few catchers out of our system including Ben Richardson and Barnie Green, so Dudley's importance increased. He looks to be a dependable backup option behind Fred Barrell and he could find himself on the big league roster next season.

LF Earl Johnson
Acquired: Via Draft: 12th Round, 180th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Chicago HS Wildcats
Last Year Rank: 20th

Stuck in a system crowded with outfielders, especially in the corners, Earl Johnson was stuck mashing AA pitching last season. He hit .332/.388/.554 (140 OPS+) with 7 homers, 15 steals, and 73 RBI's. With Vince York and George Johnson on the way up, the lefty Johnson will likely man left for Milwaukee this season. He's not much of a defender, but Johnson has a great bat with a smooth swing and excellent plate recognition. He has good speed and the potential to hit double digit homers, but I really don't see a spot for him. I would like to find a trade partner to send him somewhere else, but for now, Johnson will face an uphill battle for a big league roster spot.

C Herman Rachford
Acquired: Via Draft:8th Round, 139th Overall (1923)
Alma Mater: Austin HS Senators

Recently 26, Rachford was actually a 3rd Round pick of the Kings back in 1922, however, he did not sign. We took him in the 8th round the year after, but Rachford has flown mostly under the radar. He did hit well in 37 games with Milwaukee last season, hitting .321/.363/.500 (123 OPS+) with 3 homers and 17 RBI's. He's a decent defender who can hit a little, but Rachford profiles as a backup catcher with not much upside.

SP Joe King
Acquired: Via Trade with Philadelphia (1929)
Drafted: 10th Round, 160th Overall by the Philadelphia Keystones (1927)
Alma Mater: Lubbock State Hawks

Acquired in the Johnny Douglas trade, I was willing to part with Rabbitt Forest if it meant also getting King. The 23-year-old was excellent with Lincoln, going 9-4 with a 3.02 ERA (146 ERA+), 1.12 WHIP, and 33 strikeouts in 122.1 innings. King may only have two pitches, but I've noticed pitchers in this league can survive without a third option. He throws in the low 90s with his fastball and he also can throw a quality curveball. He should start his season in Mobile, but he has all the tools needed to progress even farther up. He's got a really good track record statistically and now he's showing up on top prospect lists.

CF George Alt
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1925)
Alma Mater: Tulsa HS Tomcats

Undrafted out of High School, Alt was signed as a filler player for San Jose. Playing time hasn't always been easy for him to find, but he hit a solid .292/.367/.388 (101 OPS+) with 3 homers and 38 RBI's in his first extended attempt in Lincoln (325 at bats). Alt does an excellent job of drawing walks and he's a pretty great outfield defender. He has a little experience on the dirt too, playing first and second in a handful of games as well. My scout is a huge fan of his, but he's already 23 and has a little less then 300 games played since the 1926 season. His versatility is a great plus, however, and he's a useful depth player.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 02-23-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #56
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training Week 1

It was a 2-5 start for the Cougars in the Spring, but I don't really care too much about the results of these games. The biggest news of the week, however, was the first Independent Draft. The way this works is each team gets to select one player from an Independent team to "draft" off that team. There is compensation, as a player from the drafting organization replaces the newly selected player. If you submitted to the commissioner a player picked by another team, you don't get a single player. The player you submit has to be added to the 40-Man roster. The draft is done in the same order as the Amateur draft, so we got the first selection.

I selected LHP Jim Crawford from the AAA Sacramento Governors, and had to give up RHP Buck Putnam. Both players are 24. Crawford spent three seasons in AAA, going 23-21 with a 5.15 ERA (91 ERA+), 1.50 WHIP, and 108 strikeouts in 321.2 innings pitched. His best season, however, was this past season where he was 12-7 with a 4.54 ERA (104 ERA+), 1.39 WHIP, and 104 strikeouts in 150.2 innings pitched. I selected him because my scout is a big fan of his and thinks he can be a middle of the rotation starter. OSA seems to agree, as they rank him as the 36th best prospect in the FABL and the 2nd best in our organization. He'll join the club for Spring.

In regards to performance, all of our starters struggled until Dick Lyons' made his second start, 4 scoreless with 4 strikeouts. Both newcomers in John Kincaid and Russ Combs had great weeks. Kincaid hit .476 with 3 RBI's and Combs hit .381 with 3 RBI's. George Jordan, Fred Barrell, Vince York, and John Dibblee are all hitting over .300 as well. We lost Mike Muprhy to back soreness, and I'll send him down to AA to rehab.

The amateur seasons are kicking off as well, and I'll try to start Amateur reports next sim.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:40 PM   #57
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 26-30

RP Bob Bliss
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1929)
Drafted: 18th Round, 248th Overall by the Chicago Chiefs (1927)
Alma Mater: San Antonio HS Warriors
Last Year Rank: Not in Organization

A former draftee of the Chicago Chiefs, they released him last May and we brought him to the north side in July.. A lefty with a sinker and curveball, Bliss is never going to start, and was roughed up in the Chiefs organization last season. He only pitched 3.1 innings for us in La Crosse, allowing 5 hits and a run with a walk and strikeout. I don't have too many expectations for him, but he may eventually end up in the big league bullpen.

SP Ed Stevens
Acquired: Via Draft: 3rd Round, 35th Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: Travis College Bucks

A former 3rd Round Pick just three drafts ago, Ed Stevens worked his way up to AA last season and received an invite to spring training. In his two seasons in our system, he's always had an ERA+ above 100. With Mobile he was 4-5 with a 4.37 ERA (102 ERA+), 1.51 WHIP, and 27 strikeouts in 90.2 innings pitched. Now 24, Stevens' fastball sits in the low 90s and he uses his slider and change to get swings at misses. He's got average stuff and average control and looks to fill a spot starter/swingman type role with his sights on a big league debut in the next two seasons.

1B Bill Miller
Drafted: 5th Round, 81st Overall by the Pittsburgh Miners (1922)
Alma Mater: Birmingham HS Bulldogs

Normally when a team trades their starter at your position, it means you are likely to see an increased role of importance. For Bill Miller, it has the adverse effect, as incumbent starter Luke Nixon was traded so the star of the team Bill Ashbaugh can play a less demanding defensive position. A native of Chicago, Miller held his own with the Commodores, hitting .299/.357/.421 (106 OPS+) with 4 homers and 73 RBI's in his first real taste of everyday action. The 25-year-old is our #1 depth option in case Ashbaugh finds himself on the DL again, but I don't see much more then a AAAA type player in Miller.

RP Claude Purvis
Drafted: 12th Round, 201st Overall by the Chicago Chiefs (released after) (1923)
Alma Mater: Syracuse HS Stars

Added to the 40-Man roster in the offseason, Claude Purvis has a longshot chance to make the active roster out of the spring. Regardless, the 24-year-old has a really high chance of making his FABL debut this season. He didn't pitch much last season, but the righty looks to be a dependable option out of the pen. He has a decent three pitch arsenal and he can give you length if the starter is knocked out early. He does a good job keeping the ball on the ground, but relievers don't have too much value in this league.

Technically our 30th prospect was Buck Putnam, however, he was swapped for Jim Crawford in the independent league draft. I'll report on Crawford here instead:

SP Jim Crawford (#36 Overall)
Acquired: Via Independent League Draft from Sacramento (1930)
Last Year Rank: Not in Organization

Jim Crawford never attended high school or college, but bounced around in the independent circuit before starting to get time with both New Orleans and Sacramento in 1927. His best season was last, as the then 23-year-old was 12-7 with a 4.54 ERA (104 ERA+), 1.39 WHIP, and 104 strikeouts in 150.2 innings pitched. The lefty is a groundballer who my scout thinks has "middle of the rotation potential" with pinpoint control. He can throw a cutter, curve, change, and forkball with all the pitches generally checking in south of 90 MPH. He has to stay on our 40-Man, but Crawford will likely start in a less stressful pitching environment with AA Mobile before returning to AAA. Adding Crawford to the organization really boosted our prospect quality on the mound and he looks like a building block for the future.
Old 02-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #58
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training Week 2

Summary

It was a much better week for the squad, as we went 4-2. Dick Kadlec had an excellent 4 inning shutout against the Sailors and both Max Wilder and Ace McSherry bounced back with solid second starts. Dick Lyons brought in his second straight shutout, however, he did allow 6 hits. Lou Gaffin tossed 5 shutout innings out of the pen in a 2-0 win over the Foresters.

At the plate, Fred Barrell 5-for-9 with 5 RBI's. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a two run shot. John Kincaid and George Jordan both continued to hit well while Vince York and Harry Simmons started to slip. Lucky for Simmons, however, Mack Deal went hitless and only has one the whole spring.

Amateur Report

SP Don Phillips (Central Ohio Aviators): It looks like the Aviators may have another freshman phenom this season as Don Phillips looked excellent in a 5-hit shutout of Indiana A&M. He struck out 3 and walked just 1. For the season, he's made 3 starts and is 1-1 with a 2.08 ERA (256 ERA+), 1.20 WHIP, and 8 strikeouts in 21.2 innings. The "Gambler" doesn't throw too hard, but mixes five pitches well to keep hitters off balance. He also does an excellent job of keeping balls on the ground.

CF Marty Roberts (Brunswick Knights): Another breakout freshman, Brunswick's Marty Roberts took home Player of the Week. He's already hit 4 homers and drove in 13 runs on the season, slashing .375/.432/.850 (212 OPS+). The 18-year-old looks to be a quality defender out in center with excellent bat speed which leads to home runs. His teammates Hi Blackburn and Tommy Sharp also have 4 homers a piece which is a big reason the Knights share first place with Ellery at 7-2 after 9 games.

LF Al Horton (College of San Diego Friars): One of the early favorites for a first round selection, Al Horton hit .402/.458/.613 (193 OPS+) with 8 homers, 11 steals, and 43 RBI's last season for the Friars. It's been a hot start for the switch hitter this year as well, hitting .417/.432/.637 (189 OPS+) with 3 homers and 8 RBI's. The draft eligible junior has a smooth swing with plus-plus contact ability as well as excellent speed on the bases. He should be an excellent defender in left and can fill in anywhere in the outfield as well.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 02-24-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:28 PM   #59
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training Week 3

Summary

A second strong week as we went 5-2 and pushed our record above .500 for the Spring. Yes, Spring records don't matter, but after two winning sims all last year, two winning sims in a row feels pretty nice even if the games don't matter. It was a big week for Bill Ashbaugh as he went 8-for-15 with 2 homers and 4 RBI's. Harry Simmons saw his fortunes flip, as he now looks like the likely everyday starter at second. He was 7-for-16 with some extra base hits. Young SS Clyde Hinzman was 5-for-9 with a pair of RBI's. Vince York launched his 2nd homer of the spring while new acquisition Tommy Russel picked up his 2nd win. Dick Lyons picked up his first win of the Spring after allowing just 1 run in 4 innings. Ace McSherry and Max Wilder both tossed a 4 inning shutout.

Amateur Report

SP Bob Walls (Chicago Poly Panthers): The freshman righty has looked excellent to start the season, and he tossed a 3-hit shutout of Wisconsin State in his last outing. In his 4 starts on the season, Walls is 2-2 with a 1.60 ERA (333 ERA+), 0.98 WHIP, and 20 strikeouts in 33.2 innings pitched. An interesting prospect to keep an eye on, Walls does an excellent job of keeping the ball on the ground as hitters tend to swing over his changeup. He doesn't throw too hard yet, just 86-88 with the fastball, but the 18-year-old has a lot of time to add velocity. Walls has already ascended to the top spot in the Panthers rotation, replacing recent 4th Overall selection Tom Blalock.

CF Pablo Reyes (Bayou State Cougars): Arguably the best player in the 2032 Draft Class, the Cuban Comet has already burst onto the scene. Hitting .393/.486/.656 (166 OPS+) with 3 homers, 5 steals, and 20 RBI's. He had back to back games with 4 or more RBI's and a 5-for-7 showing against Georgia Baptist this past week. An extremely athletic center fielder from Cuba, Reyes sits at 6'2'' and weighs in just under 200 pounds. He's got elite speed, excellent defensive instinct, a keen eye at the plate, and a ton of power. He's definitely my way-to-early #1 pick projection for the '32 draft due to his status as a 5-tool player with no real showing of weakness.

LF Red Bond (Toledo HS Wildcats): There seems to be a lack of top high school prospects for the upcoming draft, and one of the better players looks to be Red Bond. The only problem is Bond is pretty set on heading to college. He's kicked off the season hitting an impressive .423/.500/.692 (228 OPS+) with a homer and 4 RBI's. Last season, the lefty hit .340/.446/.510 (189 OPS+) with 6 homers and 26 RBI's. He's a high contact hitter with "highlight reel power potential" . With his lack of signability, he's likely to slip in the draft.
Old 02-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #60
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Spring Training: Week 4

Summary

While we finished the Spring tied for the best record in the CA with Toronto at 14-10, we got some bad news as SS Russ Combs will miss the start of the season with a strained groin. He's expected to miss 3 weeks. This is the second straight season we got an injury to end the spring, as last year we lost Bill Ashbaugh to a sprained knee. This does make roster decisions a little easier as this allows both Mack Deal and Harry Simmons a chance to start the season in the starting lineup.

We didn't really have many standout performers on the mound both Dick Lyons and Ace McSherry had nice 2.25 ERA's. Lyons struck out 11 and McSherry 7. Max Wilder looked sharp as he finished with a 3.38 ERA and 1.38 WHIP. Gus Cain, Tommy Russell, Milt Nelson, Bill McLean, and Cotton Taylor all had ERA's north of 6.

The 41-year-old John Dibblee had an impressive 1.249 OPS with a homer and 8 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh hit 3 homers and drove in 13. C Jim Kyle was 14-for-36 with 2 homers and 11 RBI's. John Kincaid hit .381 with 11 runs scored. Harry Simmons and Bob McCarty both hit 4 homers.

I had to make my opening day roster and I'll do a full write up on that tomorrow. Opening Day is tomorrow, but I think we don't sim any games yet.

Amateur Report

CF Chris Thompson (Liberty College Bells): An impressive 5-hit game in a 21-3 thwacking of Commonwealth Catholic helped push Chris Thompson's batting average to .378. A starter as a freshman, Thompson appeared in just 13 games last year. He hit an impressive .400/.435/.455 (143 OPS+) with 7 RBI's in 55 at bats. This year, he's batting leadoff in a 12-4 division leading Liberty lineup. The athletic righty will have to keep his current pace up to boost his draft stock from the later rounds.

SP Dick Strunk (Niagara Falls HS Sailors): The name is enough to bring attention to the young right hander, but his performance in his first three starts should be the talk. A 2-hit, 10-strikeout shutout of Reading HS was his second consecutive scoreless start as he lowered his season ERA to 0.81 (497 ERA+). He also owns a 0.58 WHIP and has struck out 22 batters in 22.1 innings. He doesn't throw too hard yet, but as he grows expect him to pickup a few miles on his cutter. He's also played a little at first, and is 5-for-10 with a homer and 3 RBI's at the plate.