Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

3D Gameplay looks "Choppy"? Suggestions here...

We've had a few people mention that gameplay sometimes stutters, or looks a bit choppy when playing out games. Here are some suggestions that may help. Please comment if you try one and it works for you!

-Change audience detail: In File -> Settings -> 3D & Facegen, You can change the audience detail to simplified.
-Change audience vividness: In File -> Settings -> 3D & Facegen, change Audience vividness to "Off".
-Fast Blit (beta): In the same panel, under OpenGL Mode, you can select "Always use OpenGL and fast blit (beta)", and that changes how we draw the screens which can result in smoother performance.

We will continue to investigate, and will hopefully be able to provide more updates in the coming days.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 04-04-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:26 AM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

I changed audience detail to simplified and it's not choppy now. It wasn't to bad before for me though. I have a 2015 i5 MacBook Pro.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
mars001
All Star Reserve

That worked for me. Very smooth now.
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

I haven't played many games yet on OOTP18, but so far this is the best 3D I've seen from OOTP. The gameplay is much smoother. The sound effects are better including the crack of the bat. Just one man's opinion, but so far I'm very impressed!
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post
I haven't played many games yet on OOTP18, but so far this is the best 3D I've seen from OOTP. The gameplay is much smoother. The sound effects are better including the crack of the bat. Just one man's opinion, but so far I'm very impressed!
I used to play games here and there but with the new enhanced 3d and stadiums I find myself watching every single game..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I used to play games here and there but with the new enhanced 3d and stadiums I find myself watching every single game..
That's what's happening to me!

On the one hand, doing so will slow things down and lend to further immersion. That is what I want.

On the other hand, I only have a certain amount of time left on this earth and I don't think you can take OOTPB with you. Can you?

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Barkingturtle
Minors (Single A)

Simplifying the audience fixed the issue for me.

Adjusting the OpenGL setting had no effect.

Many thanks for this tip, Matt!
Barkingturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

On the one hand, doing so will slow things down and lend to further immersion. That is what I want.

On the other hand, I only have a certain amount of time left on this earth and I don't think you can take OOTPB with you. Can you?
I've already made arrangements for this very thing.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:44 AM   #9
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
I've already made arrangements for this very thing.
Wait, I'm coming with you! Uh, that is, if you're not leaving too soon?

- Bru

Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post

lol... it does lend to immersion as my Cardinals have a hot bat right now.. and seeing each teams stadium for the first time is total awesomeness!!!

The game is so freaking believable right now.. like I'm really watching a real game.. the 3d plays so life like!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:00 PM   #11
maximus33
Minors (Double A)

doing away with detailed audience makes the audience disappear and makes the stadium look like crap. This is not a fix. It did make it run faster though.
maximus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Did you look into this? We were talking about it earlier today:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=275960

- Bru

Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 PM   #13
Royalsusedtorule
Minors (Triple A)

I made the changes suggested and the ball movement is definitely smoother on my 2015 MacBook Pro i5. Makes the 3D game play terrific! So far, very pleased with OOTP18!
Royalsusedtorule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
drhay53
Major Leagues

Everything has been smooth since this change. However, I have some stadiums where there are no fans at all. Just the background is shown where seats are supposed to be. Is this related?
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #15
tward13
All Star Starter

Played game 1 at Citi Field. By mid game there was no more OF fence. The signs were still there.

Then tried to start game 2. After 10 minutes of (Not responding) I now have a distorted upside down display. This 3D is killing me
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #16
tward13
All Star Starter

Now I have the stands and the signs, no field
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #17
drksd4848
All Star Starter

Incidentally, for those of you with choppy graphics, what kind of setup do you have and and/or how old is your machine?
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:30 PM   #18
drhay53
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by drksd4848 View Post
Incidentally, for those of you with choppy graphics, what kind of setup do you have and and/or how old is your machine?
I don't think it's a problem with old machines. I have a GTX 1070, 16GB of ram, a SSD, and a core i5 CPU. Without the changes here I get really bad stuttering, but not in every game and stadium.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 AM   #19
mars001
All Star Reserve

Surface Pro 3 (Windows 10) i5 8GB RAM - Intel HD Graphics Family

Turning off the crowd has smoothed it out.
mars001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:48 AM   #20
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus33 View Post
doing away with detailed audience makes the audience disappear and makes the stadium look like crap. This is not a fix. It did make it run faster though.
Edit: leaving the stuff below for posterity, some good infor, gonna try to summarize good options:

1) open app - go to settings before loading a game (or file settings in game) and tone down the dropbox with the "16x" or similar value... anti-aliasing or i may have the memory wrong on the label, but it is there. tick down one at a time until performace improves... not sure if oyu have to exit and restart or not. the effect: some smoothness will be lost on the edges of things.. likely unnoticeable except if you go to none.
*looked "anisitropic effect" is maxed in ootp 3d settings

2) other settings for your vid card.. catalyst control center for amd, nvida has its own, too... and not sure what intel offers.. may have to install their software for your video card.. anyway turn quality down. use google to inform yourself about the options available and make a choice. AMD surface optimazation = useless.. anti-aliasing is useful but demanding... etc etc... also look into Vsync and see if that fixes anything. (vsync will be useful 99% for the people who have a really nice video card, and old card won't reach the refresh rate and will tear trying to keep up)
*resolution! lower reso... it's likely upscaled for any 'higher' reso anyway.. so the quality may actually improve, imo with less processing.

3) 3rd party program to limit FPS below vsync (~refresh of monitor). Dxtory is one... see below.

4) ootp adds some of these types of graphical settings to the game to allow you to tone down the graphics quality.. a bit redundant with #2 above... but somethings would make sense... like FPS beside vsync. maybe tell the people with the crappy video cards to change the setting i mention in #1

5) buy a better vid card - this is a very wasteful decision if you only play ootp... so i put it last... don't go out and spend $100 when there are better options... unless your pc is 5+ years old i doubt it's a big problem.. just tone down the graphics a scoosh. if you play other 3d video games and have problem with ootp, you defintiely need a new one

maybe useful tidbits below, but i think i reworded it all above.
----------------------
heh had this at the end.. but figure its btetter up top:

Other options: you cna go into your video cards software suite (like Catalyst for AMD cards) and adjust some things down... turn down aliasing and anythign else you see an option for. (google the optiosn for an informed decisions about them).. in catalyst you can even save the profile specificaly for ootp18.exe and keep your vid settings for all other things as you had them before.

OH!! i noticed an option for anti-aliasing in OOTP settings, right? (it's the drop down box that's defaulted to max "16x" or something -> not necessary and extremely demanding if you don't have the card to handle it).... turn that to none or 2x (just tick down on at a time until performance improves so that you get the most of what you got). that is a HUGE resource hog if you have a poopey vid card, that will help alot. And, it's defaulted to full-bore... that's gotta be rough for those integrated cards for sure.

---------------------

do you have an on-board memory card or a non-integrated one?

onboard video cards are cheap and crappy for 3d... nothign you can do about this... they will quickly become obsolete for newer 3d apps within 2-3 years of purchase, if lucky.

the fix is to have a btter video card... or dump quality until performance improves. you will lose some visual quality, of course.

Limit FPS: movies are shown in 24fps... that's all you need for full-motion video... i'd suggest 24 to 30 fps, if having issues... maybe even do this first, because this will not reduce visual quality... your human eye simply can't see the frames after 24fps (do you see them in the theatre?).

amd doesn't have this option for FPS.. not sure about nvidia's software suite... and def no clue on those onbard intel cards <threw up in my mouth a little bit>.

vsync will limit it to 60fps if you have a 60 hz monitor attached etc... this may also help i some situations, but more likely your vid card is running under 60 and having trouble keeping up. (the opposite can be a problem too, if your vid card is too nice, it will try to run this game as fast as possible... 300fps will produce a %#$@-ton of heat... you don't want that either. use vsync if you have a nice 3d video card)

a free program like Dxtory will allow you to limit fps of any program running... you can even record your video game, if you so wish... someone was speaking about immersion... how about your only private film reel of all your world series games (or whatever)?

they will need to add steps in 3d quality if you want more than on/off for the crowd... if they have that, try a lower quality etc...

if you have an old computer... 3d rendering will not likely be a strong suit.

i am surprised that such a simple game is requiring so much... although it sounds like it's the new "crowd" and that makes sense... lots of detail and movement i would assume... i've never bothered with 3d in this game, so i cannot speak more than generalizations.

Last edited by NoOne; 03-27-2017 at 04:08 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote