Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Player unwilling to negotiate

I have a player who is about to hit free agency after this season. For each of the last 3 seasons he has been unwilling to even open negotiations for an extension. He is my best player and I'm worried I'll be unable to re-sign him because he won't even let me make one offer. I've been saved by arbitration the last few years. This feels like a bug to me. Any way around this?
MrWideFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
jdw31158
Minors (Double A)

Maybe go into commissioner mode? Should be able to force him to sign then, I would think.
jdw31158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:19 PM   #3
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWideFrame View Post
I have a player who is about to hit free agency after this season. For each of the last 3 seasons he has been unwilling to even open negotiations for an extension. He is my best player and I'm worried I'll be unable to re-sign him because he won't even let me make one offer. I've been saved by arbitration the last few years. This feels like a bug to me. Any way around this?
He just does not want to sign for you lot. There could be baseball related reasons ("Your team sucks, I want a ring, see you!"), clubhouse related reasons ("My teammates here suck, no way I'm signing here", "For this manager? Never!") or things completly beyond your control ("Don't want to spend my life/have my children grow up in the dump that is (insert town name here)", "The climate in (insert town name here) sucks, I'd rather be somewhere else") and probably a lot of more reasons are possible.

Anyway, it seems that for whatever reason, this player wants to play somewhere else. Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
Fire a qualifying offer his way, let the door hit him on his ass, enjoy your free draft pick and sign someone else actually wanting to play for your ballclub instead.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
What do you mean by "unwilling to open negotiations for an extension"?

Otherwise, you can check in the editor to see if the results under "Player Agent" is listed as "Scott Boras". If so, you might be out of luck.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:25 PM   #5
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
What do you mean by "unwilling to open negotiations for an extension"?

Otherwise, you can check in the editor to see if the results under "Player Agent" is listed as "Scott Boras". If so, you might be out of luck.
I've gotten this message in each of the last 3 seasons anytime I click offer extension:

"Sorry, but I will not negotiate with you any further. We seem to be too far apart."

BTW, this is OOTP 15.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #6
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Sounds like he just does not want to play for your team any longer. There are players for whatever reason want to leave no matter what you offer.

You could trade him and try and get a haul of prospects back and hope that one or two of them develop into stars, or if you are in the playoff picture, hang onto him and hope you win the championship.

Or you could "cheat" and go into the editor and just add a contract extension for whatever you want.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
byzeil
All Star Starter

Maybe he just wants to get to free agency to get as much $$ as possible or as some have said above he doesn't want to play for your team for some reason. Not likely a bug, happens in real life and part of the process of running a baseball team.

You can let him play out the contract and try to sign him as a FA. You could try to trade him to get some return for him. Or you could 'cheat' and go into commissioner mode and sign him, it is your game after all and you can play how you want.

Last edited by byzeil; 06-06-2016 at 01:50 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:17 PM   #8
TomVeal
All Star Starter

This is definitely a feature rather than a bug. Perhaps you will someday encounter the opposite frustrating reality: the declining veteran who is ready and willing to extend his contract and doesn't want a lot of money but who no longer performs well enough to justify even the pay he demands. The catch is that he is "extremely popular" locally, and the fans will react very badly to his departure. Would you rather lose attendance or lose a roster slot? I'm now facing that dilemma in one of my leagues.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #9
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

I understand the concept of a player wanting to test FA this way in real life. I've never seen it in the game though.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
I've gotten this message in each of the last 3 seasons anytime I click offer extension:

"Sorry, but I will not negotiate with you any further. We seem to be too far apart."

BTW, this is OOTP 15.
Then why on earth are you posting this in an OOTP 17 forum?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #11
jholland57
Bat Boy

I've had a couple of No. 1 starters refuse to negotiate with me (in 17) because they don't like my manager. I just let them go and got the compensatory draft picks.
jholland57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #12
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Quote:

Face it. Detroit is a craphole.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #13
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Face it. Detroit is a craphole.
Brooklyn Dodgers
Old 06-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #14
StanfordBerkely
Minors (Single A)

It'll happen for a few reasons. Check his morale. If it's really low ( ) then I'd trade the guy since you're not gonna be able to sign him.

If you tried negotiating with him before, and gave him a low-ball offer, you will get the "Sorry, but I will not negotiate any further with you" message. There is however a likelihood of the player re-opening negotiations with you once the season ends, possibly even before then. Again, that's assuming his morale isn't low.

Last edited by StanfordBerkely; 06-06-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Spell Check
StanfordBerkely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #15
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:

This suggests a bug. Even if there are reasons it may make sense for him to refuse to negotiate, like simply not wanting to stay on your team (due to teammates, city, lack of success, manager, etc.), it should then say something like, "Sorry, but I am not interested in remaining on this team. I plan to test free agency." rather than "we seem to be too far apart" when no offer has been made.

Then again, you say it's OOTP 15, so whatever bug that is might well already be fixed in the current version.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
MrWideFrame
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanfordBerkely View Post
It'll happen for a few reasons. Check his morale. If it's really low ( ) then I'd trade the guy since you're not gonna be able to sign him.

If you tried negotiating with him before, and gave him a low-ball offer, you will get the "Sorry, but I will not negotiate any further with you" message. There is however a likelihood of the player re-opening negotiations with you once the season ends, possibly even before then. Again, that's assuming his morale isn't low.
His morale is and has been great. Like I said I haven't been able to talk to him in years. The last time I offered him was when he was pre-arb.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #17
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

This could be an issue if the player is not unhappy in any way.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #18
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

1. Trade him for a low number of high quality prospects
2. Trade to get him back with a high number of low quality prospects
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:43 PM   #19
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
This is definitely a feature rather than a bug. Perhaps you will someday encounter the opposite frustrating reality: the declining veteran who is ready and willing to extend his contract and doesn't want a lot of money but who no longer performs well enough to justify even the pay he demands. The catch is that he is "extremely popular" locally, and the fans will react very badly to his departure. Would you rather lose attendance or lose a roster slot? I'm now facing that dilemma in one of my leagues.
Screw the fans. They'll come back eventually.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:55 AM   #20
MrBojangles
All Star Reserve

I had similar experience - except that he would only renew one year at a time, each time increasing the $ he wanted.
This all changed quite suddenly after he had a 10-month injury. Then the only contract he would accept was 10-year and stupid high money. $39M per year kind of stupid high.
I took it as a feature - one I didn't like since he was a great player, but still a feature of the game.
MrBojangles is offline   Reply With Quote