Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary

Old 07-01-2018, 03:43 PM   #1
doors11
All Star Reserve

Mel Allen & Curt Gowdy speech for PBP mod

I just found my disks with all the Mel Allen voice from Oldtime Baseball game. It has the first names ,last names and play by play in wav format.
All of them split up in individual files. Name By Name, play by play each seperate. I have the complete Curt Gowdy files in one large file it needs to be split up in .I can't find my Curt Gowdy files that were split up, it needs to be split the same as the Mel Allen files. I don't remember what sound program i used back in 2003 to do it. I tried using Audacity. I got it to work but i don't remember what the import quality was. I think 8bit unsigned and something else. Any way maybe someone knows more about this and can figure it out.
What i was thinking was we could put these files in a folder and have the text to speech program in the game use them when a typed name or play by play is used. One thing is we would need to use a different play by play since Mel and Curt doesn't have all the words they say in the play by play now.
There was a guy who was a genius working with the sound and he knows everything, if someone knows how to get hold of Joel Deleon who worked with mods. I can upload the files if someone thinks this would work.

It might be an easy way to get speech play by play in the game.
Anybody with Ideas let me know.
doors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #2
adion
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors11 View Post
I just found my disks with all the Mel Allen voice from Oldtime Baseball game. It has the first names ,last names and play by play in wav format.
All of them split up in individual files. Name By Name, play by play each seperate. I have the complete Curt Gowdy files in one large file it needs to be split up in .I can't find my Curt Gowdy files that were split up, it needs to be split the same as the Mel Allen files. I don't remember what sound program i used back in 2003 to do it. I tried using Audacity. I got it to work but i don't remember what the import quality was. I think 8bit unsigned and something else. Any way maybe someone knows more about this and can figure it out.
What i was thinking was we could put these files in a folder and have the text to speech program in the game use them when a typed name or play by play is used. One thing is we would need to use a different play by play since Mel and Curt doesn't have all the words they say in the play by play now.
There was a guy who was a genius working with the sound and he knows everything, if someone knows how to get hold of Joel Deleon who worked with mods. I can upload the files if someone thinks this would work.

It might be an easy way to get speech play by play in the game.
Anybody with Ideas let me know.
What format is the actual voice in?
adion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:14 AM   #3
doors11
All Star Reserve

I don't know the original format , but the Mel Allen files have been saved in Wav format,Back in 2003 we had a program (I don't remember which one) that we put the whole file in and would split it into names . He would say The name and We would save it has a wav file, I don't remember how you imported the Mel Allen file in, I think it was 8 bit signed and other speeds etc.I'll upload what i have soon
doors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
adion
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors11 View Post
I don't know the original format , but the Mel Allen files have been saved in Wav format,Back in 2003 we had a program (I don't remember which one) that we put the whole file in and would split it into names . He would say The name and We would save it has a wav file, I don't remember how you imported the Mel Allen file in, I think it was 8 bit signed and other speeds etc.I'll upload what i have soon
Okay.. I thought maybe it was a voice that read text that would work in OOTP.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:09 AM   #5
fredbeene
All Star Starter

This is fantastic idea.....hope it gets flushed out.....can you sim any game (all games) and get complete pbp that can be ran through text to voice?
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
adion
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
This is fantastic idea.....hope it gets flushed out.....can you sim any game (all games) and get complete pbp that can be ran through text to voice?
\

I am not sure I understand your question. As far as I know, the TTS only plays during a game you are are actually playing not simulation. It reads the PbP from the english.xml file.

As you probably know, the game uses Windows narrator for the game TTS. So any new voice would have to be compatible with that. Every few months I check for any new voices that work with narrator that I think is better than the current Narrator voices. I have not found one yet. I use and old version Ivona voice that I like. (The new version does not with the game for some reason.) However, the voice I use was developed in Europe so it uses European vowel pronunciation. It has a lexicon with it and I have to fixed the way it says some of the names. If you have any other questions, please send me a private message.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

I think some of you are misunderstanding what can be done with this data. You cannot take old radio clips and use them to "read" text in that voice. What CAN be done is to completely re-write the PBP to match clips of audio and use scripted triggers to play the audio when the text is called. Back in the early 2000's I recorded a lot of Marlins games in wav format. A few years back I tinkered around with this using clips of Joe Angel ad Boog Sciambi. It IS doable but to say it would be a massive undertaking is an exercise in understatement.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
adion
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
I think some of you are misunderstanding what can be done with this data. You cannot take old radio clips and use them to "read" text in that voice. What CAN be done is to completely re-write the PBP to match clips of audio and use scripted triggers to play the audio when the text is called. Back in the early 2000's I recorded a lot of Marlins games in wav format. A few years back I tinkered around with this using clips of Joe Angel ad Boog Sciambi. It IS doable but to say it would be a massive undertaking is an exercise in understatement.
A lot of voice are professional readers, some are AI. I think eventually there will be a large variety of voices available that will work with Narrator.