Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #1
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Some House rules I use

So I would assume most of us are smarter that the games AI. Even though i'm not great at this game, even I can build good teams year after year. Well at the very least i'm good enough that i'll never have a team finish dead last unless I want them to. So here are some rules that I currently use or will be using soon. Feel free to chime in with your thoughts

1. (Stay within budget. And try to finish season in the green.) Not always possible but as long as you're not overspending and keeping an eye on your finances you should be fine.

2. (Team Budget is set to league average) It's nice to have some money to spend but that the same time teams with huge budgets are too easy to manage.

3. (No sign and trades. Must wait until the next off season to trade newly acquired player.) Too easy to sign free agents that in the off season that you can't even afford and trade them for picks and prospects.

4. (Must play with full 5 SP rotation during the year) I used to often play with 4 SP's through out the season

5. (Must wait 1 full calendar year to reacquire player that team traded away)

6. (No front or back loading of contracts. 25% rule.) Every year of contract has to be withing 25% of highest paid year. Rule only applies to players making 5 million or more per year.

7. (Relief pitcher contracts need to be offered to players by Dec 31st and can be offered again starting on May 1st. In case of emergencies, team can offer RP contracts at 2x the players asking price at any time between those two dates) I put this rule in because in my fictional league i was tired of seeing too many good RP's in free agency to start the season. A smart GM would just wait and build their bullpen then. With this rule it forces you to act quicker and pay more in line of market value for those players.

8 (Trading players 33 years of age and older.
Team will retain 50% of remaining contract in any trade.)
(Only applies to players making 10 million per year or more) This penalizes GMs that try to offload their aging vets to get younger and shed salary. So basically if you've got a player that just hit his 30's and is on a long contract you better figure out fast if you think he's going to regress sooner rather than later and if so trade him before that 33 age deadline.

9. (Contacts with team options) If team option is not picked up player will receive 25% of that years salary. I used to just do 10% but I feel like it's so much easier to get players to sign if i gave them a high salary team option year, even when i was likely not to even honor it. Now if I pass it's going to cost me a nice chunk of a players salary.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:56 PM   #2
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Interesting list of House Rules.

I use #1.

Also, if it is a modern MLB Start and I see a "Marqe" player that is a fan favorite of the team, or someone I am rather positive they would not trade, I tend not to go after him. So, I guess I would not be looking to get Betts, but I do not play gateway market teams like the Nats, NY, or LA.

What are your AI Trade settings? Also, do you use the Stars (overall ratings) ?

Also, what types of teams do you generally manage? Middle-market / small market teams or larger market? And where are these teams in their development? Are rebuilding, established powerhouses, teams that ready to break-out?

-Cal
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert98 View Post
Interesting list of House Rules.

I use #1.

Also, if it is a modern MLB Start and I see a "Marqe" player that is a fan favorite of the team, or someone I am rather positive they would not trade, I tend not to go after him. So, I guess I would not be looking to get Betts, but I do not play gateway market teams like the Nats, NY, or LA.

What are your AI Trade settings? Also, do you use the Stars (overall ratings) ?

Also, what types of teams do you generally manage? Middle-market / small market teams or larger market? And where are these teams in their development? Are rebuilding, established powerhouses, teams that ready to break-out?

-Cal
I play a fictional league with MLB finances. The team i manage is a small/middle market team. I have managed the same team for nearly 25 in game seasons so i've seen it all in terms of rebuilds and being a power house. I have trade settings on hard with neutral trading. I feel like it's the best balance that i've found for myself. I don't use stars i use the 20-80 scale. With some of the rules i use, it's much harder to build a team and keep all the talented players as their salaries rise, which is a pretty realistic and the most fun to me. Makes drafting a lot more crucial. Basically I can't just buy myself a championship.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:38 AM   #4
ALB123
All Star Reserve

I'm new to OOTP, but I'm pretty sure I've been playing by most of those rules. I'm only in my second season managing the 1981 and now 1982 Yankees (the crummy years). I think all settings are default, certainly would never use Commissioner Mode or enable force trades or any of those other features that aren't realistic.

There are a couple of very interesting rules that I haven't been playing by - basically, because I don't know how. How do you enforce Rule #8? I've done a dozen or more trades so far, but they're always player for player or players.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
Snider&Hodges
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
I'm new to OOTP, but I'm pretty sure I've been playing by most of those rules. I'm only in my second season managing the 1981 and now 1982 Yankees (the crummy years). I think all settings are default, certainly would never use Commissioner Mode or enable force trades or any of those other features that aren't realistic.

There are a couple of very interesting rules that I haven't been playing by - basically, because I don't know how. How do you enforce Rule #8? I've done a dozen or more trades so far, but they're always player for player or players.
When you offer up a player on the trade screen, or select another team's player on the trade screen, it'll say 'Retain +' to the right of the player's name. If you click that button, it expands the menu and will allow you to pick a percentage (by 5's) of the player's salary that you wish to retain, or you wish the other team to retain. Obviously, if you retain a percentage of your player's salary that you're trading, it'll make the trade more tempting for the other team.

This obviously doesn't apply to players with minor league contracts.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:05 PM   #6
smiller
Major Leagues

I play as GM and sometimes manager in my fictional league, changing teams every 3-4 years. As GM I only can make three trades during a calendar year, and can only sign one free agent. I also play stats only. Trade setting is hard.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
gentlemanofleisure
Minors (Double A)

House Rule 1 -

Can't play a player you've just traded for that same day. Must wait till the next game.

House Rule 2 -

No More than 3 pick off attempts. I play one pitch mode. Anything more than 3 pick off attempts seems like a way to game the game.
gentlemanofleisure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
gemini615
All Star Reserve

I don't allow myself to make any trades during the season, only during the off season. Once I'm in the off season, I can only make trades if the other team initiates it with a message first. This basically stops me from cherry-picking all the best players in the league every year.
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I only use the "shop a player" function or offers from other teams to facilitate trades. That puts a pretty good handicap on me.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:44 PM   #10
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
How do you enforce Rule #8? I've done a dozen or more trades so far, but they're always player for player or players.
Well i'm the GM that has to retain the players 50% in salary so the computer team i'm sure will always be fine with that. The rule is in place as a bit of a deterrent to trade away older vets with big and long contracts. It may still need to be done but at least you'll be penalized. Also gives you something else to think about when you're, for example, 28 year old superstar wants huge money and a 10 year contract.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #11
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I only use the "shop a player" function or offers from other teams to facilitate trades. That puts a pretty good handicap on me.
That seems like a decent idea. I'm probably not good enough at the game yet to handicap myself like that. I feel like at this point the AI wins just as many trades against myself as I win against them. In general it's about even though.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:52 PM   #12
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
I don't allow myself to make any trades during the season, only during the off season. Once I'm in the off season, I can only make trades if the other team initiates it with a message first. This basically stops me from cherry-picking all the best players in the league every year.
Well what stops me from cherry-picking all the best players in the league in the off-season are my finances basically (I have to make a profit every season. One of my rules). I'm generally always completing so I usually don't always have a lot of money to spend in the off-season, unless some of my highest paid guys are free agents and I can't get them to sign for the money I want them to. If I had one of the biggest team budgets I would have to handicap myself like that as well. I used to not care about going over budget and just getting all the best players in free agency but that was neither fun nor realistic to me.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlemanofleisure View Post
House Rule 1 -

Can't play a player you've just traded for that same day. Must wait till the next game.

House Rule 2 -

No More than 3 pick off attempts. I play one pitch mode. Anything more than 3 pick off attempts seems like a way to game the game.
I play one pitch as well and use the three pick off attempts and I also limit myself to using hit and run no more than three times in 9 innings
Edster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:03 AM   #14
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyal83 View Post
I play a fictional league with MLB finances. The team i manage is a small/middle market team. I have managed the same team for nearly 25 in game seasons so i've seen it all in terms of rebuilds and being a power house. I have trade settings on hard with neutral trading. I feel like it's the best balance that i've found for myself. I don't use stars i use the 20-80 scale. With some of the rules i use, it's much harder to build a team and keep all the talented players as their salaries rise, which is a pretty realistic and the most fun to me. Makes drafting a lot more crucial. Basically I can't just buy myself a championship.

Thanks for the run-down.

Those settings are fairly close to mine, 20-80 scale, no stars.

The main difference is that my trade settings are Very Hard / favor prospects, and I usually play a MLB Standard start. I have found that it can be rather tough for a few years with those settings and a standard MLB start when managing a rebuild team, such as the Orioles, and staying within the budget.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:48 AM   #15
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I keep my payroll in the bottom third at most (usually the bottom quarter). Sometimes have to do dump salary trades at the end of Spring Training.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 04:59 AM   #16
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I play dumb and emotional, works perfectly. Four championships and one 10-year losing streak in a 58-year, 24-team league.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:17 AM   #17
hfield007
All Star Starter

Iused to use various house rules in my leagues until my recent fictional which really limits me now.

There is no trading in my league at all. Reserve clause is in effect. Drafting is extremely important and my league uses a lottery for the draft.

Along with this I import one top 1000 all-time real life player every year on January 1st at their age 22 season (randomly selected player) but I put a limit I can only sign one of them players once every 4 years.

I also have 2 international free agents hit the league every offseason, rarely star quality.

It has made me really get familiar and know my team inside and out because little changes year to year on the rosters. It also allowed me to know my opponents team's 100%. (2 eight team leagues).

Probably not something much of anyone else would be into lol.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:38 AM   #18
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I run my own team, but I also will use Commissioner mode from time to time to take over a team that is doing something foolish or not doing something wise (such as a small market team not trading a big money free agent in the last year of his deal for prospects).

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #19
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

It's so lame that we have to create all of these little rules because of the AI is so pitiful.

Trading is ruined in this game if you aren't playing online. Even on 'very hard' and 'heavily favor prospects' you can still rip the AI off. Another rule I use is I can't draft Rule 5 players. The AI doesn't protect their elite guys.

Without these handicaps every player on my starting squad within 3 years is no lower than 65 OVR.

This is why I only play online now.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
Oscar Gamble
naturaldopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #20
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Everyone says you can fleece the AI teams when it comes to trading. Not for me. They shoot down every proposal unless I make it ridiculously favorable to them. It is so frustrating.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote