Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:18 PM   #41
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC View Post
Money speaks loudest once again

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:06 AM   #42
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
THIS is the legit way to set your playoff field:
Why though? I mean I get what you are trying to say that division winners should be the only qualifiers but should they? If your league plays a balanced schedule why are the Warriors awarded a playoff spot ahead of the Cyclones? Just because they play in the West? Why not Blue Sox v. Cyclones? A match up up of the true best teams in the FL? I mean unless the West only plays other west teams throughout the season then it is totally a different story?

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #43
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Why though? I mean I get what you are trying to say that division winners should be the only qualifiers but should they? If your league plays a balanced schedule why are the Warriors awarded a playoff spot ahead of the Cyclones? Just because they play in the West? Why not Blue Sox v. Cyclones? A match up up of the true best teams in the FL? I mean unless the West only plays other west teams throughout the season then it is totally a different story?
If the West MOSTLY plays other West teams during the season and each West teams number of games with east teams is the same, then its OK.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 PM   #44
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

On second thought, number of games in division and out of division doesn't matter. What matters is equal opposition of the teams in a division. However if all teams in a league have equal opposition, then divisions are wrong.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:34 PM   #45
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
On second thought, number of games in division and out of division doesn't matter. What matters is equal opposition of the teams in a division. However if all teams in a league have equal opposition, then divisions are wrong.
That is what I was alluding to. People love the divisional look because I would guess many playing OOTP grew up with that setup. However, it isn’t correct from a competitive standpoint if the the schedules are balanced. So I guess baseball was ruined in 1969 when they introduced divisional play.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:45 AM   #46
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That is what I was alluding to. People love the divisional look because I would guess many playing OOTP grew up with that setup. However, it isn’t correct from a competitive standpoint if the the schedules are balanced. So I guess baseball was ruined in 1969 when they introduced divisional play.
It wasn't ruined by the 1969 setup. Each team faced its in division and out of division opponents an equal number of times home and away. They faced in division opponents more often than out of division which I prefer but which actually isn't required to make winning the division meaningful. Even if ALL the games were out of division winning the division is meaningful as long as all teams have equal opponents.

With the ability to schedule 160ish games there's no excuse for teams in a division not having equal opponents.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:11 PM   #47
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Well, I am of the opinion that for the most part, these efforts to alter the game, are questionable at best and run the risk of further alienating more of MLB’s customers at worst.

I am certain that if we are talking about MLB owners in particular, they need to be a lot more proactive in collectively supporting their TV / consumer markets, to develop future customers; the key word is collectively, due to the natural disparity in market size, because such an effort will require some sort of overall across the board reduction in ticket prices for example, and an across the board revenue program that can be applied to help provide resources in all home-markets to support little league programs etc.… Again, some sort of collective infrastructure that targets this type of fundamental support for growing the consumer base, far beyond what we have now: a new base line of resources, like a small flat-tax on revenue that is specifically targeted at supporting that infrastructure.

MLB is struggling with ideas around growing the game, I think in-part at least, because there is not this type of consensus among ownership in developing real longer-term investments in that type of “growth-infrastructure” (and yes, making the stadiums affordable for families is part of it), so we end-up with what we see as of late from the commoner’s office.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:25 AM   #48
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Without going all out on this, because I just threw it in there to underline that I believe in compact playoffs; all teams in my league play 18 games against teams in their division (so 90 in total), 9 against teams in the other division (54), and a total of 18 against six interleague teams. So the schedule isn't entirely balanced.

I think MLB's three-division setup does make sense at some level, because travel could get excessive and nobody wants their team languishing in eighth place all the time, and for that reason *one* wild card makes sense. Adding the second wild card was already a phony move that only added revenue, but no value to the sport.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:48 AM   #49
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post

I think MLB's three-division setup does make sense at some level, because travel could get excessive and nobody wants their team languishing in eighth place all the time, and for that reason *one* wild card makes sense. Adding the second wild card was already a phony move that only added revenue, but no value to the sport.
How does the scheduling benefit from three divisions?

Concerning 8th place, teams can be just as far behind in a five team division.

Why is a second wild card phony but not the first?
Old 02-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #50
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Some, but not all teams, have very short travel distances for a significant bunch of road games, f.e. most of the AL Central except for the Royals are clustered around the Great Lakes. (And some teams are completely hosed, even in 5-team divisions, like the Mariners) Shorter travel times obviously benefit teams; in a setup with two divisions per league (and how to you balance those?) you will get additional cross-country travel if the schedule is supposed to remain balanced.

I claim it will feel less horrendous to be fifth and 46 games behind than eighth and 46 games behind. A horrendous team may be fewer games behind in a smaller division.

The first wild card makes sense when you have three divisions, because an odd number of teams makes no sense to me in the playoffs, so you add the fourth team to balance it out. The second wild card is phony because all it does is muddy the waters going forwards. Nobody needs an 85-win team (2017 Twinkies) in the playoffs.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:26 AM   #51
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

The first wild card only makes sense because of the stupidity of three divisions.

I think baseball should expand by two or get rid of two.

4 div with 7 teams is 120 games in division 10 home 10 away with each opponent and 42 out of division 3 home and 3 away with each opponent. Total 162. A schedule with equal opponents.

4 div with 8 teams is 112 games in division 8 home 8 away with each opponent and 48 out of division 3 home and 3 away with each opponent. Total 160. A schedule with equal opponents.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:26 PM   #52
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Oh, but we wouldn't want to get rid of the interleague rivalries, would we, like, what is it even... Padres-Mariners?