Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 09-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Links to FHM 2014 reviews

A couple of users posted on TBL some links to some reviews that have been published regarding FHM. I thought I'd share them here in case anybody was interested (I know the devs do a similar thing for OOTP - such as the OOTP 14 Review Links Thread).

Without further ado (reviews are listed in alphabetical order):

Gamer Zone
Link: http://www.gamezone.com/reviews/2013...hockey-is-back
Score: N/A
Summary:
Quote:
There were far too many instances where I’d go, “Wait, didn’t I just make X move?” There seems to be a problem with the communication between the game and player. Maybe it stems from the weak UI, or maybe it just stems from a bad design, but there are plenty of times where you’ll wonder if a trade, roster move, or tactical decision you’ve implemented has really gone into effect. The game is frustrating enough when your players aren’t performing as well as you’d like them to. This only complicates things more.

Sadly, the complications don’t quite end there. The simulation of a game is an extremely painful process should you sit and “watch” it; you’re better off fast-forwarding through each game instead of wasting ten minutes of your time. Sadly, though, bypassing the games themselves doesn’t allow you to switch some tactics on the fly, something that has given me tangible results. It’s an unfortunate catch-22 that only showcases the problems with the game.

Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 has potential. In order to reach that, you’ll have to dig through a lot of crap. It’s not bad, yet not good. Merely so-so.

At least hockey is back, though. Go ‘Hawks.

Gaming Trend (57%)
Link: Put it in the penalty box -- Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 review | GAMING TREND
Score: 57%
Summary:
Quote:
Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 is an incomplete game with a number of promising aspects overshadowed by its short comings. Considering the quality of their baseball manager simulator Out of the Park, there is hope that future iterations of this title will be up to snuff within the market. With that being said, this first attempt is rough and unappealing. The current version is nowhere near what it could be, made even more disappointing by the potential that can be seen within the game’s makeup. Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 is a great game for hockey maniacs, and a nice break for OOTP faithful, but for many gamers, it would be wise to simply wait and see what comes next.

Jump To Gamer (8.2/10)
Link: Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 Review | JumpToGamer
Reviewer's Score: 8.2 / 10
Users' Score: 4.5 / 10
Summary:
Quote:
The bottom line is, OOTPD have produced yet another great sports management game. Whether you’re a die hard hockey fan or not, I’d certainly recommend this as a game you should check out if you’ve ever enjoyed a sports management game. I’d certainly say you’re going to really appreciate this a lot more if you ARE a fan of Hockey, but if you’re not, you should certainly consider checking it out.

Last Word on Sports (Thumbs Up!)
Link: Game Review: Franchise Hockey Manager '14 | Last Word On Sports
Score: Thumbs Up!
Summary:
Quote:
All in all, this game is a fun experience. If you are a big hockey fan or love in-depth statistics you should buy this game. If you decide to compare it to any of the NHL games out there for consoles you are sadly mistaken as they are two different beasts. This game is certainly the most dynamic hockey simulator out there and if you have enough time to invest into the game, then it’s a solid purchase. I give it a Thumbs up.

Operation Sports (5/10)
Link: http://www.operationsports.com/revie...ger-review-pc/
Score: 5 / 10
Summary:
Quote:
Like I mentioned, past practice is that Out of the Park Developments support their products and listen to fans. If you are a huge hockey fan and have been waiting for a long time for such a product, $40 might seem like a steal--just think of it as a long term investment that will pay off in time, not necessarily immediately.

For everyone else, I’m suggesting the wait and see approach. The learning curve is steep, the bugs seem rampant, and the product seems a little unfinished.

Again, this rookie has huge potential--it’s just hard to recommend it for the price at this point.

Pop Matters (6/10)
Link: http://www.popmatters.com/review/175...-manager-2014/
Score: 6 / 10
Summary:
Quote:
For those that love or even that want to understand more of the background machinery that goes into a hockey season, Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 delivers more than one could hope for. For those that’d rather keep the off-ice politics off the ice, it will come across as nothing more than a series of numbers with some familiar names attached to them.

GM Games (83%)
Link: http://gmgames.org/2014/04/06/review...r-2014-pc-mac/
Overall Score: 83%
Gameplay Score: 85%
Customisation Score: 95%
Replayability Score: 78%
Presentation Score: 75%
Summary:
Quote:
Positives:
- Realism, Deep Analysis, Watch Games
- Customization Features
- Sky High Potential

Negatives:
- Lack of short-cuts for important pages
- Scouting is off for a few players
- Annoying small issues like lists unsorting

This game is still in its early stages, so it may have a few growing pains, but it already has a strong foundation. The potential is sky high, and could become the best hockey simulation game out there, but they aren't quite there yet. Stick with it, and the process will be rewarding when the game is more polished, and at a higher calibre of play.

TWS Critic (6/10)
Link: http://twscritic.com/2014/03/31/pc-g...ockey-manager/
Summary:
Quote:
When I first played FHM months ago, I had problems with the game randomly crashing, but I am happy to report that hasn’t been an issue after their latest patches. That is one significant plus in regards to this simulator — it has a dedicated development team supporting it, and it is constantly releasing patches to improve the overall experience. There is still a lot of work to be done, especially in terms of computer AI and team management (not to mention an overhaul of the play-by-play system), but it is promising that major updates are still being delivered.

There is a ton of potential within Franchise Hockey Manager, but it could have arguably used some more time in development before its initial release. It’s still very much a work in progress, and it requires a bit of patience. Hardcore hockey fans should give it a look, as it is still capable of whetting your appetite, but I would recommend downloading the free trial first. Even with its issues, I am remaining optimistic for future iterations. If anyone is capable of making a top-class hockey simulator, it is the folks at Out of the Park Developments.

Eight Out of Eight Reviews
Link: http://www.outofeight.info/2014/03/f...-gameplay.html
Score: n/a
Summary:
Quote:
The game features a simulation of 23 major and minor hockey leagues from around the world, using opening day or recent rosters from the current season. You can also start a historic NHL season or customize a league. The interface has some inconsistencies, as the same action can be performed in some screens but not others. Simulating the entire world also takes a significant amount of time for each day, making the most developed mode almost unplayable. There is also no interaction during bland games that feature significant pauses every time something is added to the text play-by-play. The AI managers are passable and the simulation does produce plausible results. Franchise Hockey Manager may be a quality product in a couple of years, but this first iteration can't be recommended.

Last edited by archibalduk; 04-07-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added 2 new reviews
archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
BradC
All Star Starter

Thanks for posting this. I was planning on getting something going soon. (I'm the guy who maintains the one for OOTP.)
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #3
croatian
All Star Starter

Misli? da si bolji od trenera? Odvedi Medve??ak do naslova prvaka!

My reveiw, in croatian . KHL.hr is site about Medvescak and KHL league in both croatian and english, and as Medvescak plays in KHL and KHL is in the FHM we decided to review this game and make it popular among hockey fans.
croatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
archibalduk
All Star Starter

I have added three new reviews to the first post:

Gamer Zone
Link: Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 review: Thank goo... | GameZone
Score: N/A
Summary:
Quote:
There were far too many instances where I’d go, “Wait, didn’t I just make X move?” There seems to be a problem with the communication between the game and player. Maybe it stems from the weak UI, or maybe it just stems from a bad design, but there are plenty of times where you’ll wonder if a trade, roster move, or tactical decision you’ve implemented has really gone into effect. The game is frustrating enough when your players aren’t performing as well as you’d like them to. This only complicates things more.

Sadly, the complications don’t quite end there. The simulation of a game is an extremely painful process should you sit and “watch” it; you’re better off fast-forwarding through each game instead of wasting ten minutes of your time. Sadly, though, bypassing the games themselves doesn’t allow you to switch some tactics on the fly, something that has given me tangible results. It’s an unfortunate catch-22 that only showcases the problems with the game.

Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 has potential. In order to reach that, you’ll have to dig through a lot of crap. It’s not bad, yet not good. Merely so-so.

At least hockey is back, though. Go ‘Hawks.

Operation Sports (5/10)
Link: Franchise Hockey Manager Review - Operation Sports
Score: 5 / 10
Summary:
Quote:
Like I mentioned, past practice is that Out of the Park Developments support their products and listen to fans. If you are a huge hockey fan and have been waiting for a long time for such a product, $40 might seem like a steal--just think of it as a long term investment that will pay off in time, not necessarily immediately.

For everyone else, I’m suggesting the wait and see approach. The learning curve is steep, the bugs seem rampant, and the product seems a little unfinished.

Again, this rookie has huge potential--it’s just hard to recommend it for the price at this point.

Pop Matters (6/10)
Link: Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 | PopMatters
Summary:
Quote:
For those that love or even that want to understand more of the background machinery that goes into a hockey season, Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 delivers more than one could hope for. For those that’d rather keep the off-ice politics off the ice, it will come across as nothing more than a series of numbers with some familiar names attached to them.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Here's a further review of FHM - and probably the most positive I've seen thus far.

GM Games (83%)
Link: Review of Franchise Hockey Manager 2014 (PC, Mac)
Overall Score: 83%
Gameplay Score: 85%
Customisation Score: 95%
Replayability Score: 78%
Presentation Score: 75%
Summary:
Quote:
Positives:
- Realism, Deep Analysis, Watch Games
- Customization Features
- Sky High Potential

Negatives:
- Lack of short-cuts for important pages
- Scouting is off for a few players
- Annoying small issues like lists unsorting

This game is still in its early stages, so it may have a few growing pains, but it already has a strong foundation. The potential is sky high, and could become the best hockey simulation game out there, but they aren't quite there yet. Stick with it, and the process will be rewarding when the game is more polished, and at a higher calibre of play.

EDIT: And here's two more:

TWS Critic (6/10)
Link: http://twscritic.com/2014/03/31/pc-g...ockey-manager/
Summary:
Quote:
When I first played FHM months ago, I had problems with the game randomly crashing, but I am happy to report that hasn’t been an issue after their latest patches. That is one significant plus in regards to this simulator — it has a dedicated development team supporting it, and it is constantly releasing patches to improve the overall experience. There is still a lot of work to be done, especially in terms of computer AI and team management (not to mention an overhaul of the play-by-play system), but it is promising that major updates are still being delivered.

There is a ton of potential within Franchise Hockey Manager, but it could have arguably used some more time in development before its initial release. It’s still very much a work in progress, and it requires a bit of patience. Hardcore hockey fans should give it a look, as it is still capable of whetting your appetite, but I would recommend downloading the free trial first. Even with its issues, I am remaining optimistic for future iterations. If anyone is capable of making a top-class hockey simulator, it is the folks at Out of the Park Developments.

Eight Out of Eight Reviews
Link: http://www.outofeight.info/2014/03/f...-gameplay.html
Score: n/a
Summary:
Quote:
The game features a simulation of 23 major and minor hockey leagues from around the world, using opening day or recent rosters from the current season. You can also start a historic NHL season or customize a league. The interface has some inconsistencies, as the same action can be performed in some screens but not others. Simulating the entire world also takes a significant amount of time for each day, making the most developed mode almost unplayable. There is also no interaction during bland games that feature significant pauses every time something is added to the text play-by-play. The AI managers are passable and the simulation does produce plausible results. Franchise Hockey Manager may be a quality product in a couple of years, but this first iteration can't be recommended.

Last edited by archibalduk; 04-07-2014 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Added 2 further reviews
archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #6
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Here's a Youtube video almost in a "Let's Play" style..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTwBv9TIUKI

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote