Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 PM   #81
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Are TBS analysts just stupid or lazy? I just heard Michael Saunders called a "dead pull" hitter. My wife looked at me and said, "are they nuts"?

Look I understand they have to cross the border and all that crap but do they really not care about preparation, research and professionalism. Michael Saunders has never been a dead pull hitter.
This is what happens when you show games on basic cable.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:04 PM   #82
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping Batista would hit a HR & flip his bat again. But Odor throwing the ball away will do.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #83
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I was hoping Batista would hit a HR & flip his bat again. But Odor throwing the ball away will do.
Welp.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #84
edm
All Star Starter

Quote:
If a runner is tagged & is off the base he is out. Period. Nothing needs to change. We don't need umps making calls because the player was safeish or outish.
I hear you, but when you need to go to the replay just to be able to see the body lose contact for a split second, I don't know, I just have a problem with that.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #85
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edm View Post
I hear you, but when you need to go to the replay just to be able to see the body lose contact for a split second, I don't know, I just have a problem with that.
I agree it was petty but I think changing the rule would create more problems than it's worth. Here is a couple thoughts..

- A judgment call would have to be made to determine if the player was off the base long enough to be considered out or given a 'neighborhood safe" call. (I am steadfastly against adding any rule that adds more judgment calls to the game. I'd hate to add a he was mostly safe so we'll call him safe type situation into the game. I'd prefer a player either be out or safe. Either you hold the bag or you don't.

- If players know they don't have to hold the bag they are going to slide later and harder into to the bag to try to get there faster. Knowing they have to hold the bag is a speed limit of sorts. Even in the play in question Baez face-planted into the fielders leg.

- If these calls keep getting made players will learn better slide technique and hold the bag. Baez has had some really creative slides to get around tags this year. However, He has also had some of the ugliest slides this year jamming fingers and having to walk off a collision.

Just my 2 cents
Old 10-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #86
kenyan_cheena
Hall Of Famer

I heard Bob Costas talking the other night about making the divisional series best of 7 and giving the #1 seed five home games (2-2-3 format) in the series against the wildcard. Anyone here like that idea? It would not have saved the Rangers this season, but I think it has some merit.
kenyan_cheena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #87
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena View Post
I heard Bob Costas talking the other night about making the divisional series best of 7 and giving the #1 seed five home games (2-2-3 format) in the series against the wildcard. Anyone here like that idea? It would not have saved the Rangers this season, but I think it has some merit.
Not totally against it. But I don't see the need for the change. He and his fellow old farts seem to think having the best record should be an automatic berth in the WS. They are one of the biggest problems in baseball. They want the game to be exactly the same as it was in their childhood. I don't want the playoffs to be a situation where a team is "owed" anything. Get out there & earn it. The best record already earns the right to start & end the series on their own home field. That should be plenty right there.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-10-2016, 09:00 AM   #88
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I respect your opinion. But it has been proven time & time again our eyes are prejudicial witnesses. Not just in sport. In everyday life. Replay balances things out.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #89
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I like the best of 5. If they want to add games to the post season, how about making the wildcard matchup a best of 3 instead of the current one and done?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:57 AM   #90
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If a runner is tagged & is off the base he is out. Period. Nothing needs to change. We don't need umps making calls because the player was safeish or outish.
They had a discussion about this in the Indians/Boston series also (I forget which game actually). Lonnie Chisenhall also had a play where he beat the throw to second, but lost contact with the bag. It was pretty obvious though on replay. He planted his hands behind the bag and let his knees slide into the bag while his body was in the air. He was basically encompassing the base but not touching it. The umpires made the right call on replay (and in good time).

Without replay, that is called safe 100% of the time. I agree it is a grey area. But in a replay era, being 100% technically right is the new standard so you have to call him out if he loses contact. Just like the neighborhood play on a DP.

The interesting part of the Indians/Red Sox broadcast was that Ernie Johnson and Ron Darling took the "I would have liked to have called him safe" stance while Cal Ripken took the "You have to maintain contact" stance. Was interesting that they actually discussed it for a couple minutes.

Last edited by TribeFanInNC; 10-10-2016 at 09:58 AM.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #91
Irrelevant Dude
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I would be in favor of a 7 game divisional series, but I'm not big on the 2-2-3 idea. Playing a 7 game series after using their best pitcher in the Wild Card game is disadvantage enough.
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #92
Irrelevant Dude
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I agree. While I don't think the spirit of replay was to overturn those types of tag plays, I don't see any better alternative. I would rather have a black and white rule (if the runner is tagged any point while not in contact with the base he is out) than some umpire judgment based on when the tag was applied and/or how far the runner came off the base.
Irrelevant Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:57 AM   #93
edm
All Star Starter

Cubs might not be celebrating tonight after all.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #94
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

I'm rooting for the Indians to get to the WS now.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:16 AM   #95
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
It isn't the end of the world. YET.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #96
Bobbuttons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
The interesting part of the Indians/Red Sox broadcast was that Ernie Johnson and Ron Darling took the "I would have liked to have called him safe" stance while Cal Ripken took the "You have to maintain contact" stance. Was interesting that they actually discussed it for a couple minutes.

It seemed to get a little heated, too.

Gibson swings, and a fly ball to deep right field! This is gonna be a home run! Unbelievable! A home run for Gibson! And the Dodgers have won the game, 5 to 4; I don't believe what I just saw! I don't believe what I just saw!
Bobbuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #97
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
I am not a Red Sox fan, but I wanted to see Ortiz go out on something other than a sweep.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #98
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I am not a Red Sox fan, but I wanted to see Ortiz go out on something other than a sweep.
Agreed. That was a brutal way to go.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #99
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Took the Giants 13 innings at home to win a game that they were heavily favored to win in nine.

I would hope Maddon has an inside scoop regarding Matt Moore since he managed him a couple years ago.

What scares me is that he came on out away from no-hitting the Dodgers in August.

My nerves are a mess, but Lackey didn't come to Chicago for a haircut.
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:34 PM   #100
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Cubs-Giants kicks off soon...