Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Ike348
All Star Starter

Any way to have thousands of players in an organization?

Hello all,

I am looking to run a type of sim where any player meeting a certain characteristic is available to be on a given team (ex. teams based on nationality or birth month, name, etc.) For example, in the birth month scenario, I would have a "January" team, then February, and so on. What I want is for any player born in January to be available for the January AI team to place on its roster at any given time.

The easiest solution would be to just throw everyone onto the January reserve roster and let the AI go from there. However, with the full quickstart rosters, this leads to thousands of players, and there appears to be a restriction of 175 players on a reserve roster. There doesn't seem to be a way to get around this —when I import a roster with say, 1200 players assigned to a given team ID, the game just places the first 200 players on the team and leaves the rest as free agents.

One way to get around this is simply creating lots of minor league teams, but I don't really want these reserve players playing any games, and the space/processing power these minor league teams would take up would be a lot. And, there are some scenarios where teams would have a vastly different amount of players (ex. one team has 1000 players where another has just 50). This would lead to teams having differing numbers of minor league teams.

Another alternative I thought of is placing each team in a different nation, setting all of the players on that team to that nation, and then setting the league to not allow foreigners based on team nationality. This might work, but would the AI sign and release players as easily as it would send them up and down? (There are no financials.) That's on top of the fact that the players' real nationalities would be gone from the game.

TL;DR- How can I allow an AI team to pick and choose its active roster at will from a pool of thousands of players that only that team can access?

Any ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:05 AM   #2
polydamas
All Star Reserve

Assuming you have 30 MLB teams

Make a minor league

Have 2 sub leagues

Have 50 divisions each. Have each division have 50 teams except one with 30.

That's 4980 teams. If each team can have 200 players (remember to not set an active roster size), then that is 996,000 players or 33,200 per team.

Set season to 1 game (is 0 possible?), no playoffs, no rainouts, no spring training, stat detail low.

Disable minor league free agency in the parent league (you probably want reserve era rules also).

I've had leagues get stuck without generating a schedule. Try deleting the schedule right before the start of the season. Sim through. Recheck settings. It may say season starts in [current year], if so, keep going. After the new year, check again. It may be blank for the year's start date. Or it may be the previous year. In either case, it shouldn't generate a new schedule.

If that doesn't work, simming that 1 game season shouldn't be toooo awful. You could probably just have it start and let it run while at work or asleep.

You might also look into the "load schedule from file" setting and then just have the schedule be blank.

Edit: Making the minor league might seem like a chore, but you could probably do it in under a minute.

Add new fictional league in global settings.

Make it 1 sub league, 1 division.

Make the division 50 teams.

Make the sub league 50 divisions.

Make it 2 sub leagues.

Pick a division and make it 30.

Disable finances.

Create (ok well that might take a bit to load).

Set parent in league structure settings.

Have random affiliations.

That will get around having to set each division to 50 teams and to have to make the affiliations yourself.

Edit 2: Also, maybe set it so the minor league can have incomplete rosters. I'm not sure if that will work though, since this method has it as an affiliated league and not a minor league per se. I think it might be advantageous to not have it be a pure feeder league, because if it were, the void schedule work around might not work (it may be tied to the major league).

Last edited by polydamas; 08-09-2017 at 01:48 AM.
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
Ike348
All Star Starter

I didn't realize teams could have multiple affiliates in the same league, so thanks for that suggestion. Just to test, I created a 25-team minor league (this major league has 25 teams). I removed all affiliations, except for 4 minors teams assigned to 1 major league team. Since this team has 798 players, I manually imported the rosters, assigning 25 to the MLB team, 200/200/200 to 3 minor teams, and the remaining 173 to the last minor team.

It didn't work. Some players still ended up as free agents, and the minor league teams still only had 25 players, except for the fourth which ended up with 200. When going to the major league team "all players in organization", there were only 300 players—25/25/25/25/200. To see what was up, I searched one of these "lost" players. He was still listed as being on a minor league team, but there was no mention of him anywhere on that team's roster or anywhere in the organization. When I exported the rosters, those players were gone, even though they were still in the game.

For my next attempt, I turned all 798 players into free agents, and unaffiliated those 4 minor league teams. I then imported rosters with 200/200/200/198 players assigned to the four minor league teams. I check the rosters, and each team has all of their players listed. Great. I then re-affiliate these teams with the major league club. Players just disappear! There are just 300 players in the organization again. Same deal as the first time.

It seems the game is hard-coded to limit rosters to 25 (or whatever the major-league setting is), except for the lowest level, be it a reserve roster or minor-league team, which is limited to 200. There's no way around it. It's a shame that this is the case, and maybe the devs can fix it.

I could still go with this "solution", but minor league rosters staying at 25 would mean that I would need 25 minor league teams just to get the 798 players. Too much.

I think I will just roll with the nationality solution for now, and see how well it works, unless anyone has any other ideas.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

FA draft? from League Settings - a function both visible on screen somehwere and also in "available actions" dropdown.

any limitations similar to what you encountered with reserve roster needs to be accounted for, of course... ie enough teams for them to be placed.

definitely can have more than "25" or mlb limit in your upper levels... i regularly see ~30 the way i have mine setup in AA and AAA. (really all of them except rookies, i do see more on purpose). i've seen ~70 in short a, but that was an anomaly. no limits used, but the normal 25-man setup (how many relievers/starters/bench etc, forget which of the 3 you define and third is assumed).

Last edited by NoOne; 08-09-2017 at 06:07 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Ike348
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
FA draft? from League Settings - a function both visible on screen somehwere and also in "available actions" dropdown.

any limitations similar to what you encountered with reserve roster needs to be accounted for, of course... ie enough teams for them to be placed.

definitely can have more than "25" or mlb limit in your upper levels... i regularly see ~30 the way i have mine setup in AA and AAA. (really all of them except rookies, i do see more on purpose). i've seen ~70 in short a, but that was an anomaly. no limits used, but the normal 25-man setup (how many relievers/starters/bench etc, forget which of the 3 you define and third is assumed).
That's a good idea, I put the major league team, its 4 affiliates, and 798 players as free agents into a separate league, and ran a free agent draft, all players eligible. The AI stopped drafting after round 475. That's the closest I've come, but it still doesn't work.

On the other hand, I did get the nationalities workaround to work, with only a couple drawbacks. These new "2nd nationalities" allowed players to be put on teams they weren't supposed to be on, and since 2nd nationalities don't appear to be in the roster file (please fix!) I had to get rid of them one-by-one. It still worked though—AI started with around 200 players in each organization after the initial draft, whittled their rosters down to around 117 for some unknown reason, but then signed, released, promoted and demoted players at will, and only with their "available" players. Only downside is that, like I said, teams can't play in their real cities and players aren't from their real countries.

Quote: