Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Schedules

OOTP Mods - Schedules Create your very own game schedules, or share historical schedules

Old 11-24-2015, 12:01 AM   #61
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

I appreciate the update!
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #62
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Happy Thanksgiving! Version 1.2 is uploaded.

In Elsdorf, sports bars pessimistically closed for the playoffs have been forced to reopen, as the Argonauts win two of three games at Mannheim and drop one at home to take the five-game Pacific Honkballiga championship series. Next up is Tjerkgaast, a team we had some success against in interleague play, for the league title. Elsdorf's sports commentariat has nothing to say—at the all-star break, the Argonauts were sitting at around .330 W/L, and only barely squeaked into the wildcard series at all. We had a few games of lead over hated rivals Gelderland, but blew it down the stretch as the Challengers did their best to knock us out. We won the tiebreaker game 2-1 in extra innings.

In scheduler news, I wrote a new slot conflict detection method which actually does precise checks to see whether conflicts will present themselves. Unfortunately, it works a little less well than the old method—I suspect the old method returned fewer false negatives than the new one does false positives, or perhaps vice versa. It's no slower, though, so I can probably do a little more to refine the algorithm. That'll come later. For one, I have a league championship to contest, and for another, I'll be enjoying my holiday. :P

As it stands, though, v1.2, with normalization and week awareness, ships with the old slot conflict method, and works pretty well.
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #63
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Oops, found a bug--week-aware schedules will need to schedule all-star breaks explicitly. The Monday-off schedule I'm using for my league in 2019 becomes a Thursday-off schedule after the break.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:50 PM   #64
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

I have an update ready that remedies that bug (by scheduling allstar games), provides a little more control over schedule length, improves game distribution a little bit, and adds a schedule grid display option, mainly so I could get a better feel for game distribution, but my website has been down all day, and the host hasn't gotten it back up yet.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #65
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

v1.3 has been posted.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #66
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

I've noticed a severe issue with too many consecutive off days, but I assume it's unfixable without another round of code rewrites.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #67
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
I've noticed a severe issue with too many consecutive off days, but I assume it's unfixable without another round of code rewrites.
In what situation, exactly?

There are some expected schedule gaps—this is a side-effect of the imperfect nature of the scheduler. At many times during the schedule, one or more teams will be off while the rest of the league is playing. These unplanned but expected gaps should be spread more or less evenly over teams over the season. If you're seeing something that doesn't match that, I may be able to fix it more easily.

The other night, I came up with a minimal schedule that exhibits some of the issues with the scheduler. It's small enough so that I can watch its progress step by step. When I next have some time to dedicate to this project, hopefully I'll be able to improve it further.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:10 AM   #68
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

How do I get this to work with a Mac?
Klew1986 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #69
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

You should be able to double-click on the 'run.sh' file. If that doesn't work, you can try opening a command prompt in the directory where you unzipped the schedule generator, and typing, 'java -jar OOTPScheduleGenerator.jar settings.ini', replacing 'settings.ini' with whichever settings file you'd like to use.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #70
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

I found and fixed an issue that resulted in longer all-star breaks than planned for non-week-aware schedules. I'll have that released before too long. Still looking at ways to allow more compact schedules.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:14 AM   #71
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Will I be able to a make a 2 SL 11 team per schedule with interleague?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #72
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Will I be able to a make a 2 SL 22 teams (11 per) no divisions schedule with interleague?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #73
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Will I be able to a make a 2 SL 22 teams (11 per) no divisions schedule with interleague?
That's exactly what I did. It leads to teams having too many consecutive off days from my recollection.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #74
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

I have some ideas to help spread off days around a little more, but they'll take some time to implement. As it is, The Game, you'll probably need between 15 and 20 off days over the course of the season, and there are still issues with off-day clustering. (The scheduler works less hard at finding good start days when the schedule is sparse, and schedules games in rough order from start to finish, so the start ends up less full, and the end gets packed.)

My endgame plan is to split the problem up into more manageable problems: the only case I have the brainpower/computational resources to consider is the case where every team has an identical schedule: that is, it plays the same number of games organized into the same number of series of the same types as every other team. (This leaves room open for e.g. playing 7 games against some divisional opponents and 6 games against others, or other slightly-odd combinations in the same schedule category, but that's a different part of the scheduler.) Given those constraints, I can probably split the schedule into schedule blocks, as I've discussed before.

Here's a quick schedule block recap: a schedule block contains a subset of teams and a subset of games, and puts them together in a small block. (Small blocks are easier to plan, and easier to retry if they don't work at first.) Consider two teams from D1 (T1, T2) and two teams from D2 (T3, T4). Each team needs to play each other team in the block, with series lengths 4 and 2, respectively, and we need a break day sometime in this block. Figure something like this:
T1vT2 T3vT4
T1vT2 T3vT4
T1vT2 T3vT4
T1vT2 T3vT4
break
T1vT4 T3vT2
T1vT4 T3vT2

That's an independent seven-day chunk of schedule, so we can slot it in alongside any other independent seven-day chunk of schedule, and build a season out of easy problems.

The tricky part will be deciding the schedule blocks. It's important that they be as small as possible, but also flexible enough to accommodate, say, two three-game interleague series in the same seven days as the earlier example.

That's almost certainly a project for the new year, though. I will, however, likely have a small bugfix release sometime around Christmas.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:46 PM   #75
TwoScoops
Bat Boy

8 team divisions too much?

I am trying 4, 8 team divisions.

6*7 = 42 games vs. divisional opponents
24*3 = 72 games vs. subleague opponents.

I can't even get the schedule to compile! Are there known size limitations?
TwoScoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #76
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoScoops View Post
I am trying 4, 8 team divisions.

6*7 = 42 games vs. divisional opponents
24*3 = 72 games vs. subleague opponents.

I can't even get the schedule to compile! Are there known size limitations?
7 is a prime number, so scheduling 7 games against each divisional opponent is a bit annoying with this scheduler. Might be the reason.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #77
TwoScoops
Bat Boy

I should have clarified, it is actually 6 games vs. 7 teams and 3 games vs 24 teams. I tried your prime number theory and it actually worked.

Doing 6 games (3 series of 2) vs. the 7 divisional opponents and 4 games (2 series of 2) vs. the 24 non-divisional opponents generated a schedule.
TwoScoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 10:11 AM   #78
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

I think that's the next improvement I'm going to make, loosening the constraints on the number of games per opponent to allow for e.g. three or seven games against certain types of opponent, along with a few minor cosmetic improvements, like allowing the underscored version of the league specification in the configuration files for readability's sake.

It turns out I have some constraints for free that I didn't know about: I didn't realize that OOTP only allows one or two subleagues, and subleagues have to have an even number of teams. That might help tighten up schedules a bit.

That said, it's unlikely I'll have a new version in the near future. I've shifted over to another personal coding project for the time being, and it'll probably take up most of my time until spring, at which point I may jump back into this for a month or two.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #79
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
It turns out I have some constraints for free that I didn't know about: I didn't realize that OOTP only allows one or two subleagues, and subleagues have to have an even number of teams. That might help tighten up schedules a bit.
OOTP theoretically allows an odd number of teams per subleague, most obviously seen in MLB setups.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:52 PM   #80
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
OOTP theoretically allows an odd number of teams per subleague, most obviously seen in MLB setups.
Odd-- so is it only expansions that disallow odd numbers of teams per subleague? I was trying to set up 18 teams in two subleagues with three divisions of three, up from 2/2/4, and it wouldn't let me.