Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #81
brian_msbc
Minors (Single A)

I think it would be really cool to hire multiple scouts and be able to look at multiple opinions of a player. We would also have the option to show an aggregate scouting report, and be able to customize the aggregate report by assigning different weights to each scout.
brian_msbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #82
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_msbc View Post
I think it would be really cool to hire multiple scouts and be able to look at multiple opinions of a player. We would also have the option to show an aggregate scouting report, and be able to customize the aggregate report by assigning different weights to each scout.
I've thought about having a system like that. In my opinion, it would be a waste. I say that because let's say you have three scouts and you get one scout saying an SP minor-leaguer might fill a fifth-starter role when fully developed. Another says he'd most likely end up being a minor-league call-up due to injuries and the last scout says, you SP might have enough to be a second division SP. How happy do you think ootp players will be? It's already tricky enough trying to figure out who to keep past A or A+ ball (besides highly rated players).

Those three sample final sentences from scouting reports are kind of similar, in my opinion. But, we know scouts are not always right. So really, the guy saying he might peak as a 5th-man SP could be off and he ends up a mid-rotation guy. In that case, sweet!!! Likewise, the scout who tells you he might have enough to be a 2nd Division starter could be over-estimating your SP's skills and he burns out after 2 seasons of AA.

Yes, those are the challenges we already deal with on a daily basis. I'm a mental case, to begin with...I overthink things all the time. I don't think I can handle 3 scouts telling me slightly different, but very important, player assessments. Plus, we do already have a second assessment for each player. The OOTP Scouting Association reports.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: In my delusional mind I already play if off like I have multiple scouts working different segments of the country and globe. The reports I receive are from my Scouting Director, so I play it off like he could have received 2 or 3 reports on the same player from 3 of his scouts. Each time that players team goes on another away game, I just happen to have a scout in or near that town too. So, my Scouting Director is making the final assessment based on these reports and some video sent his way by his guys out on the roads.

Last edited by ALB123; 09-24-2020 at 07:18 PM.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #83
mrbadguy
Minors (Triple A)

My only real issue with game is Stealing Bases.
I find I cannot throw anyone out, regardless of Catcher ability, unless I pitch out.
If I try to steal using "one pitch" the cpu almost always pitches out.
My success in "one pitch" is awful. Not much better when using "pitch by pitch". Seems only real success is double steals (near 100%)

I understand that too many steals can ruin game but someone like Ricky Henderson in 1982 should be able to steal 100 bases.
Big issue when playing 80s or dead ball era.
mrbadguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #84
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbadguy View Post
My only real issue with the game is Stealing Bases.
I find I cannot throw anyone out, regardless of Catcher's ability, unless I pitch out.
If I try to steal using "one pitch" the CPU almost always pitches out.
My success in "one pitch" is awful. Not much better when using "pitch by pitch". Seems only real success is double steals (near 100%)

I understand that too many steals can ruin games but someone like Ricky Henderson in 1982 should be able to steal 100 bases.
A big issue when playing the 80s or dead-ball era.
Funny you mention this. I've been slamming my fist repeatedly about my inability to steal, even with 70 & 80 rating base runners.

One thing that's really making me crazy... The AI has a man on 2nd base. The batter hits a nice linedrive base hit to LF, my LF charged the ball a bit and tries to throw the runner out at the plate. He never does and that throw allowed the batter to end up on 2nd base. It's scored as a single, of course, but now I'm in the same exact situation I was. Way too many attempts to throw out runners at the plate that have no chance at all.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #85
Bobbyraz49
All Star Reserve

My catcher, MJ,Melendez seems to drop the ball, can't handle the pitch way to often. He's a 75 catcher with an arm to match.
Also, it is VERY rare to have my pitcher pick of the runner on 1st. The computer does it way more often.
Bobbyraz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #86
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyraz49 View Post
I'd like to see OOTPBB22 create a better season schedule. I play as the LAA and play the same NL teams every year.
Stop using schedules that the game creates. There, problem solved!
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #87
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
Stop using schedules that the game creates. There, problem solved!
Or the developers could solve the problem
That also seems good.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #88
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Or the developers could solve the problem
That also seems good.
True, and it would also be good if we all had ponies.

The developers' time and effort are not infinite resources. Improving upon the in-game scheduler would be nice, but that task is way more complicated than simply adding a few lines of code. MLB was still doing schedules essentially by hand until about twenty years ago because programming a scheduler is extremely difficult. So the question is whether the OOTP developers should spend their time working on an aspect of the game that is enormously complicated yet easily modded, or whether they can be more productively employed improving some aspect of the game that can't be handled by modders, like the AI.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 09-27-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:54 AM   #89
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyraz49 View Post
My catcher, MJ,Melendez seems to drop the ball, can't handle the pitch way to often. He's a 75 catcher with an arm to match.
Also, it is VERY rare to have my pitcher pick of the runner on 1st. The computer does it way more often.
I just had 4 of those in a game. My catcher is 80 defense, 80 catcher ability, 65 catchers arm, but hew bobbled all four SB attempts. I sold his organs on the black market the following day.

Quote:
True, and it would also be good if we all had ponies.

The developers' time and effort are not infinite resources. Improving upon the in-game scheduler would be nice, but that task is way more complicated than simply adding a few lines of code. MLB was still doing schedules essentially by hand until about twenty years ago because programming a scheduler is extremely difficult. So the question is whether the OOTP developers should spend their time working on an aspect of the game that is enormously complicated yet easily modded, or whether they can be more productively employed improving some aspect of the game that can't be handled by modders, like the AI.
Nice to see you in a thread again, joefromchicago!

I felt so bad when I learned MLB took the job away from that husband and wife. I was blown away when I first learned they were responsible for the league schedule...which they created on their dining room table.

On a serious note, what's the problem with OOTP creating schedules each season? For instance, I play as GM of the Yankees and we're in 1992, so still only 2 divisions and no interleague. What does OOTP do that people don't like? I'm not very observant as you can tell from the question.

Last edited by ALB123; 12-16-2020 at 06:29 PM.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #90
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
Nice to see you in a thread again, joefromchicago!
Nice to be seen!

Quote:
I felt so bad when I learned MLB took the job away from that husband and wife. I was blown away when I first learned they were responsible for the league schedule...which the created on their dining room table.
Yeah, Henry and Holly Stephenson did the schedules by hand for twenty years because computer programs were unsatisfactory. Grantland did a nice little documentary on them. One modder here, Fishbreath, has been working on and off for about five years on a scheduler - it has been, let's say, a mixed success.

Quote:
On a serious note, what's the problem with OOTP creating schedules each season? For instance, I play as GM of the Yankees and we're in 1992, so still only 2 divisions and no interleague. What does OOTP do that people don't like? I'm not very observant as you can tell from the question.
Where to begin?

The in-game scheduler can't handle interleague games. It also doesn't do a very good job with unbalanced schedules. The scheduler often has league-wide off-days, which MLB never does except for the All-Star break. The scheduler won't schedule double-headers and doesn't know when holidays are. It's impossible to rotate among interleauge opponents over successive years - the in-game scheduler has no "memory" for past schedules. The scheduler doesn't know where teams are located, so the Marlins, for instance, might be scheduled to go on a road trip to Seattle, Boston, and Los Angeles and then back to Miami. And finally, the schedules are just boring - the teams all have the same off-days and the same getaway days and every game starts at the same time.

All of those problems are well-known and have been addressed and corrected by a fantastic community of dedicated modders that has contributed well over a thousand schedules customized to users' needs. Nevertheless, people continue to come onto these boards and complain that "I can't get the scheduler to do what I want!" Well, no, you can't, but chances are someone else has already made a schedule that does exactly what you want it to do, or else is happy to make a schedule that will. Sorry to get on my soapbox about this, but it's kinda' frustrating to see someone holding an empty glass and complaining that "I'm thirsty! I can't get anything to drink!" while standing next to a water fountain.

EDIT: I'll add that those comments aren't directed at you, ALB123. If you're doing a replay league, then you probably aren't even using the in-game scheduler. If you're going season-to-season, OOTP will automatically load the appropriate MLB schedule for that year rather than create a new one.

Last edited by joefromchicago; 09-28-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #91
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
but it's kinda' frustrating to see someone holding an empty glass and complaining that "I'm thirsty! I can't get anything to drink!" while standing next to a water fountain.
Also frustrating I'd imagine, to go into a restaurant, order your meal, be served a glass of water that's, sure, drinkable, but not very good, ask the restaurant about it and be told, this is the only water we have, but just outside there's some kids with a stand giving away water.

This particular complaint isn't somebody who created their own league and wants some 37 game schedule which only plays in Tuesday's, Thursday's and every other Sunday. It's the way, I'd imagine, the majority of users play the game. They buy it. They choose a team and they start playing.

For every user who finds the forums and complains about the schedule, who knows how many don't take the time to look for the forums or know about the mods section.

Having a reasonable schedule isn't a pony. It's more like a glass of water at a restaurant. It should be decent.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:46 AM   #92
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In my delusional mind I already play if off like I have multiple scouts working different segments of the country and globe. The reports I receive are from my Scouting Director, so I play it off like he could have received 2 or 3 reports on the same player from 3 of his scouts. Each time that players team goes on another away game, I just happen to have a scout in or near that town too. So, my Scouting Director is making the final assessment based on these reports and some video sent his way by his guys out on the roads.
That's exactly how you're supposed to be looking at your scouting director. He represents everyone in your organization who is involved in scouting, the same way that your pitching coach, for instance, also represents everyone involved in developing the team's pitchers.

I don't know when you first started with the game, but there are plenty of folks around here who remember when OOTP had multiple scouts - I think they were eliminated in version 13. It was nice to be able to send scouts out on different assignments, but it turned out to be a major time-suck, and pretty soon you'd be spending half of your time managing your scouts instead of your team. The developers, I think correctly, streamlined the game and combined all of those scouts into one guy, the scouting director, and OOTP went back to being a baseball-management sim rather than a scout-management sim.

People will still come onto these boards and propose adding multiple scouts. Sounds reasonable, but I think a lot of old-timers like myself react to that prospect in much the same way that a vampire reacts to garlic.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #93
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also frustrating I'd imagine, to go into a restaurant, order your meal, be served a glass of water that's, sure, drinkable, but not very good, ask the restaurant about it and be told, this is the only water we have, but just outside there's some kids with a stand giving away water.

This particular complaint isn't somebody who created their own league and wants some 37 game schedule which only plays in Tuesday's, Thursday's and every other Sunday. It's the way, I'd imagine, the majority of users play the game. They buy it. They choose a team and they start playing.

For every user who finds the forums and complains about the schedule, who knows how many don't take the time to look for the forums or know about the mods section.

Having a reasonable schedule isn't a pony. It's more like a glass of water at a restaurant. It should be decent.
The in-game scheduler is decent. It creates a basic, no-frills schedule that, in most cases, does the job. I'm actually surprised that it works as well as it does, and if that's all that a user wants, then they should use it.

This isn't a case of someone going to McDonald's and being surprised that he can't get a hamburger, it's a case of someone going to McDonald's and being surprised that he can't get filet mignon. The game offers a stripped-down version of a scheduler. Creating anything more than that would mean the developers would be taking time away from working on something else - in all likelihood, something that can't be easily addressed with a readily available mod.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:54 AM   #94
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
The in-game scheduler is decent.
You dont even seem to believe that yourself
Quote:
Quote:
On a serious note, what's the problem with OOTP creating schedules each season?
Where to begin?
Old 09-28-2020, 01:00 PM   #95
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You dont even seem to believe that yourself
And you don't seem to have read what I wrote:
Quote:
It creates a basic, no-frills schedule that, in most cases, does the job
To me, that constitutes a "decent" scheduler. If you have a different definition of "decent," then we can discuss that. But don't try to make me out to be a hypocrite. I won't play that game.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:22 PM   #96
crusadecat
All Star Reserve

id love "Tecmo bowl" style close up cutaways at times. a play at the plate or a homerun , punch out strike out . , those kind of plays.
crusadecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #97
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
And you don't seem to have read what I wrote:
I, of course, did

Quote:
To me, that constitutes a "decent" scheduler. If you have a different definition of "decent," then we can discuss that.
And different definitions of
Basic
No-frills
Doing the job
Old 09-28-2020, 01:51 PM   #98
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And different definitions of
Basic
No-frills
Doing the job
And "discuss"
Old 09-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #99
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
And "discuss"
Could be
Old 09-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #100
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Thanks for all the information, joefromchicago!

I finally understand, on some level, what/why many people might not be 100% satisfied with the in-game schedule maker. To be honest, I never once gave the scheduler much thought until this thread. I play a historically based universe (not 100% accurate by choice) which started 1981 and is up to 1992. I can certainly understand why many players would like to have a complex, workable schedule module in the base ootp sim. I'm much easier to please. As long as I'm not playing one divisional team 30 times and another 6, I'm good to go...

I've only been playing ootp since January 2020, but the thought of having to control my own scouting system and send scouts out on assignments terrifies me. That would be too much for me...especially with my memory problems. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love that level of control, but like you said, I can see it turning into an enormous task which takes a lot of time.