Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 09-23-2020, 12:30 AM   #21
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
He's been in multiple threads about this. This is a specific complaint posing as a general one. The problem is he wants Bobby Thompson to be a star in his 30s when he wasn't.
lol - no that isn't the complaint.
not even close
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:21 PM   #22
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
lol - no that isn't the complaint.
not even close
Sorry, but anyone can see what you've posted and determine what I wrote is correct. Additionally they can determine you don't know what potential does.

Potential is information. It might work out that way or might not. Editing potential up, as you do, doesn't change the data on which current and future current is based.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:41 PM   #23
koohead
Hall Of Famer

Ceiling

Funny, was just thinking about the whole Stats Only vs Potential Ratings debate driving back from picking up dinner at Jersey Mike's (no idea what that detail has to do with anything other than sharing a moment of my life with you all) and the idea of ceiling ratings was where I landed on. My problem with playing with Potential ratings only is as soon as you see a dip in Potential, you know it's about time to cut bait. Or at the very least start coming up with an exit strategy. Proponents of Stats only would argue a dip in performance could just be an off year, could be ratings decline, or could be any number of things. The beauty of stats only. But with Potential Ratings and scouting not at 100% accuracy, you get your scout's input into what the player is capable of, obviously with a bit of cloud of war.
Now imagine we had an additional option...the Ceiling Rating...that never changes. the 150lb utility IF coming out of junior college is never going to have an 80 power ceiling rating...he just is not going to be a masher. Nor will the 265lb 1B/LF have a 80 stealing rating. Could a ceiling rating, that may not be far off from what a scout rated the guy in the draft, be static and allow us to have insight into a player's ratings without having the predictive nature of Potential Ratings? Seems like a happy medium??
Old 09-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #24
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

So, what kind of fixed HR ceiling would a scout put on Davey Johnson?
Old 09-27-2020, 01:17 AM   #25
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
This is why i stopped playing.....bs that players can't have peak years over 30......it happens often.
Players can and do have peak seasons after 30. In fact, if you set Talent Change Randomness to something higher than 100, this will occur more often. What you aren’t going to see is the game having regular aging curves for 30+ year olds that defies what happens in real life (although you can also change the speed of both development and aging as well). I’m at a loss as to why the lack of this is something wrong with the game...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:34 PM   #26
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Players can and do have peak seasons after 30. In fact, if you set Talent Change Randomness to something higher than 100, this will occur more often. What you aren’t going to see is the game having regular aging curves for 30+ year olds that defies what happens in real life (although you can also change the speed of both development and aging as well). I’m at a loss as to why the lack of this is something wrong with the game...
Its Bobby Thompson falling off the cliff after age 29.

However, Bill Robinson had his best years after 30. Kind of a cheat but knowing this I don't try to trade for him or sign him as a FA until he's close to 30 or a bit over.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #27
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

C'mon Fred, confide in us. What's your problem with Bobby Thompson turning into a bust after 1953 and that kid Hank Aaron taking his place? You figure maybe if Thompson kept Aaron as a part time player for a few years maybe Aaron wouldn't have broken The Babe's HR record?
Old 09-28-2020, 03:10 PM   #28
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
Its Bobby Thompson falling off the cliff after age 29.

However, Bill Robinson had his best years after 30. Kind of a cheat but knowing this I don't try to trade for him or sign him as a FA until he's close to 30 or a bit over.
Hey BradK... I keep seeing these references to Bobby Thomson around the forum and I don't know what it's all about. Would you mind explaining? Is Thomson rated very low in the game or something? I was going to PM you, but I figured there must be at least one or two other people as clueless as me (I hope!)... Thanks!
Old 09-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #29
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
Hey BradK... I keep seeing these references to Bobby Thomson around the forum and I don't know what it's all about. Would you mind explaining? Is Thomson rated very low in the game or something? I was going to PM you, but I figured there must be at least one or two other people as clueless as me (I hope!)... Thanks!
https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...archid=5712701

fredbeene has multiple threads where he is complaining that he is editing Bobby Thompson's Potential Power Rating within his 30's to be 250 and

a.) That potential rating does not display (this is because the game does not display underlying potential ratings once a player hits 30, instead it displays potential as being equal to current ratings).

b.) When he does this Thompson typically does not see his current power rating start shooting up (this is because the built-in development engine makes it rare that older players see large increases in current ratings).

I do not understand why he doesn't just change Thompson's current ratings to be what he wants them to be instead of messing around with his potential, but he has started multiple threads and also brings this issue up in many other unrelated threads.

Last edited by Rain King; 09-28-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:37 PM   #30
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
I do not understand why he doesn't just change Thompson's current ratings to be what he wants them to be instead of messing around with his potential, but he has started multiple threads and also brings this issue up in many other unrelated threads.
Yea, I don't get the fixation with potential either. If he's going to edit, edit current. Its right there next to potential!!!
Old 09-29-2020, 07:02 AM   #31
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Ahhhhh... Thank you, Rain King and Brad K. That clears things up perfectly. Now I know that it's not a Bobby Thomson specific thing. That player has just been the example used in those complaints. Gotcha!

I'm sure I've probably read this multiple times in the past, but never gave it a serious amount of thought. The way OOTP handles it seems to make more sense to me. Potential is a younger man's rating...unless you show up to Spring Training looking like the Incredible Hulk and your name is Barry Bonds.