Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #41
neugey
All Star Reserve

A few huge quality of life improvements that have been sticking in my mind, and hoping they would not be too difficult to implement:

- After you open a pack and see the 6 cards, have the ability to right click on a card, see it's details and options to auction/quick-sell it without it ever going into your collection

- Each card has information panel showing what date/time the card was acquired and how it was acquired (pull, reward or AH buy). In the case of an auction house buy, it would show how much you paid for it. If we had this, could change the transactions page to show like only the last two weeks of records (as I'm noticing it takes a long time to load nowadays).

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #42
neugey
All Star Reserve

(server glitch, double post)

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #43
Orion
Major Leagues

There needs to be some actual advantages to promoting/being in a higher league. This could be as simple as free pack(s) weekly for being in perfect/diamond etc. Another idea, but would require some thought and coding, is to introduce fans. Fans wont be happy when your #1 ranked team falls 0-3 in the playoffs etc. Fans would be happy when you promote etc. Happy fans could give bonuses etc.

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #44
DotDash
Minors (Double A)

Hi all,

My 2 cents on some of the topics raised.

1) Perfect leagues being too hard / too easy.
My feeling is that it is both too easy to reach Perfect, too difficult to get relegated (especially when faced with tankers) and too difficult to become fully relevant / compete for championships.
To illustrate: all three of my (F2P) teams at some point made it to Perfect when they were in no shape to compete. The gap between a team which barely makes the playoffs in Diamond (and lucks into the final four) and even a .500 team in Perfect is huge. Despite this, only one of my teams ever got relegated, because on the one hand you've got people losing deliberately, and on the other there are simply very many teams in every Perfect league which have no business being there, so it becomes a lottery for the privilege of being relegated.
Now (after about 10 Perfect seasons per team of being basically cannon fodder, and a couple more of just barely being over .500) I think my teams are in a position to reach the play-offs 90% of the time, with 90-105 win seasons being the norm. This seems nice, except I am experiencing that there is a chasm in quality between a 100-win team and a 120+ win team in Perfect. In this way, even the majority of play-off teams are reduced to irrelevancy, although to be honest I am lacking data on the frequency of 'upset' championships in PL.

In summary: the disparity in quality between bottom, mid, upper and top tier teams in PL seems far too great to me. The current setup routinely results in leagues with multiple .700+ teams and many sub-.400 teams, which to me indicates a lack of true competition at the top and too much at the bottom for the 'coveted' relegation spots.

There have been many good suggestions itt on how to improve the situation. Perhaps the developers could start a poll to gauge users' preference for each of the possible ways forward, be it restricting the inflow to PL, or increasing the movement between levels, or even adding a level above Perfect?

2) Tournaments.
While I love the addition of tournaments to PT (especially as a source of packs for a FTP player ), I think fundamental improvements are possible. As one user put it in another thread, the current format has lead to 'cookiecutter teams'. Some players (cards), at each level, are simply better than others - and you can find out which those are by downloading enough tournament data to be able to perform meaningful analysis on. Especially at the bronze/silver levels, where basically each card is obtainable, this leads to a bunch of very similar teams battling it out in any given tournament. Players not having their 'trained' defensive ratings adds to this homogenization further i.m.o.

This is difficult to address, but some suggestions:
- Make tournament data invisible / undownloadable, and/or,
- Instead of basing all tournaments (esp. at lower levels) on cards that players own, perhaps introduce a fantasy baseball draft type system, where players rank cards to their preference, and there is a set limit of duplicate cards per tournament. Probably difficult to implement, but it would introduce more variety and unpredictability to tournaments, which seems like fun to me.

3) The Auction House.

Just some suggestions here:
- Please (please) add pitchers' Movement and batters' primary Defense rating to the sort options. These are both so critical to player evaluation, that they would be my go-to sort options if implemented (along with L/R Contact for batters.)
- Echoing the suggestion for an 'only show cards I don't already own' option.
- I would like to have a way to learn the L7 and all-time average costs of a card I don't own, when there isn't one on the AH to inspect. So basically a searchable AH database for card valuations. This would help in deciding whether or not to pursue the completion of certain missions (for example, I am stuck missing one card for completion of the entire Red Sox collection, because I did not know in advance that 91 Hank Aaron and 96 Dusty Baker go for 80K+ due to their 'bottleneck' status )

Apologies for the wall of text, but I am passionate about this game and got a bit carried away it seems

DotDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #45
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDash View Post
on the other hand there are simply very many teams in every Perfect league which have no business being there
This is the crux of the issue for me. I've been asking since the game came out - why on earth are promotions tied to short playoff series, usually a five-game series? It makes no sense. A five game series is barely better than a coin toss. Why is something so important to the game's overall health left to chance?

I hope the devs consider changing the promotion system to something more reflective of true talent level. My choice would be regular season run differential. As long as promotions are so random, there will be tons of players trapped in leagues they don't belong. That is how players lose interest, which leads to tanking.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:01 PM   #46
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Not just random, but easily gamed by people to stay down

At each tier I would move up all 8 playoff teams and relegate a dozen or whatever number keeps a pyramid structure
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #47
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

Teams stuck in mediocrity. No chance to advance and little chance of being relegated unless they decide to tank. The worst of it is your team performs poorly so you don't earn the PPs to help your team. In come cases your chances of being relegated are less than being promoted. Diamond, Silver and Bronze only relegate 2 teams and promote 4. OOTP must have done this for some reason but this seems it would just encourage tanking. Right now my hope is I make the playoffs but lose in early rounds. I get playoff points, good score points but not moved up into a league that will stagnate me. I play to win and always put my best team out but I don't mind getting unlucky in the playoffs.

Many players have promoted the idea of having the leagues in a more traditional pyramid shape and I am among them. OOTP could sim 10 - 20 seasons of PT and with that data have an ideal promote/relegate numbers. Maybe they already did it and this is the best they can get. It would be great if someone from OOPTD commented on it but that will probably not happen.

Pine-tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:04 AM   #48
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

I started the thread, and in my opinion, there have been some very good comments. I'm more convinced as ever that a TRUE pyramid would work much better than what things are now.

However, if there are basically no changes in v21, then I would suggest that you limit your team in some way, such as historicals, or live-only, or specific teams, or even players who's name starts with "X" (one of 26 letters). That limitation and keeping your team F2P will keep you in the lower levels longer, and still give you the option to build either through the AH or card packs.

That's basically what I'm going to do next version.

Last edited by HRBaker; 01-10-2020 at 12:06 AM.
HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:20 AM   #49
Thornbreaker
Minors (Double A)

Could always make promotion from Diamond on X number of actual championships if they don't want a league above PL.

Whales will get X number pretty quick, while the rest of us enjoy the struggle, but I would think this balances the competition between Diamond and Perfect. (Or your highest two leagues).

No relegation from the top league if it's based on X championships in promotion. Must do a full reset. (This eliminates tanking).

You can calculate the X value from OOTP 20 by looking at the top Y% of PL Champions. I imagine 95% of us don't have more than 5 Diamond or Perfect championships.

Thornbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:54 PM   #50
johnwlits
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm just chiming in to see if it's really too much to ask to have the players' faces on the cards for retired placers, or actual action shots for everyone else like a real baseball card? Is there really something that complicated in place with the MLBPA or whoever would make this difficult w/r/t retired players?

This is admittedly a small gripe...but still, why are all my baseball cards covered in literally faceless (the LIVE card faceless version is pretty bad) bodies, or just the team's logo against a monochromatic background (the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s cards are the worst).

Just an item on my wish list. I'm relatively new to PT, and new to these boards, so if this is something that's been discussed/explained already, feel free to forward me the link to that info before you roll your eyes at me really hard.
johnwlits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:30 PM   #51
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwlits View Post
I'm just chiming in to see if it's really too much to ask to have the players' faces on the cards for retired placers, or actual action shots for everyone else like a real baseball card? Is there really something that complicated in place with the MLBPA or whoever would make this difficult w/r/t retired players?

This is admittedly a small gripe...but still, why are all my baseball cards covered in literally faceless (the LIVE card faceless version is pretty bad) bodies, or just the team's logo against a monochromatic background (the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s cards are the worst).

Just an item on my wish list. I'm relatively new to PT, and new to these boards, so if this is something that's been discussed/explained already, feel free to forward me the link to that info before you roll your eyes at me really hard.

As I understand it, the MLB doesn't have legal rights over retired players - thus you would have to get permission from each retired player - basically an impossible task.

As far a LIVE players, my guess is that there was no official "MLB" photo they could offer to be used at the time OOTP needed them.

That said, a different "generic" faceless LIVE player would be welcome.

Old 01-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #52
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
As I understand it, the MLB doesn't have legal rights over retired players - thus you would have to get permission from each retired player - basically an impossible task.
MLB cannot own vintage player photos; copyrights and image rights expire.

Though how long it takes for a given copyright to expire is an ever-changing lawyer struggle, mostly because of Disney and Steamboat Willie.
Old 01-13-2020, 04:30 PM   #53
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
MLB cannot own vintage player photos; copyrights and image rights expire.

Though how long it takes for a given copyright to expire is an ever-changing lawyer struggle, mostly because of Disney and Steamboat Willie.
Maybe they can license likenesses from Topps or some other card company.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #54
Hertston
Major Leagues

While I agree with many, of not most of the comments made, I'm finding it very difficult to think of anything that might maintain my enthusiasm at anything like this year's level. I've had an awful lot of fun with PT 20, but how long that will last into 21 I don't know. Too much 'been there, done that' and other games to play. It would help a lot if each card at least gave some information on each player. It gets old needing to use Wiki to find out which record a 'record breaker' actually broke!
Old 01-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #55
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertston View Post
While I agree with many, of not most of the comments made, I'm finding it very difficult to think of anything that might maintain my enthusiasm at anything like this year's level. I've had an awful lot of fun with PT 20, but how long that will last into 21 I don't know. Too much 'been there, done that' and other games to play. It would help a lot if each card at least gave some information on each player. It gets old needing to use Wiki to find out which record a 'record breaker' actually broke!

Agreed. I'm heading into PT21 "hoping" I can recapture the excitement I had when PT19 came out. My major concern is once we found out getting in Perfect Level - staying in Perfect Level - and winning in Perfect Level, was pretty much a pipe dream unless you wanted to invest significantly, it became obvious the "building" of your team was the fun part. Once you leveled out, the daily fun was gone. The business model is genius. I'm sure OOTP has made out well financially - but the "fun" part of Perfect Team is limited to maybe 3-6 months if your not spending a lot of money.

My plan to limit the speed at which I move up by limiting my options is the only way I can think of to extend the "fun"... unless of course I come across a couple thousand dollars I don't need LOL.

Old 01-19-2020, 01:48 AM   #56
johnwlits
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Maybe they can license likenesses from Topps or some other card company.
It would be a cool partnership if the cards were all just designed by Topps.
johnwlits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:03 PM   #57
SF Giants
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Part 1: I'm disappointed in both card collecting and tournaments. They both feel like jobs. I'm retired, and have a lot more time than most - and I STILL don't want to spend all my waking hours in front of the PT screens.
Originally, I wanted to oppose this HRB's point but then I gave it a second thought. Especially after reading dkgo's reaction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
The importance of making the "correct" strategy also the "fun" strategy.

If I'm committing myself to a game then I'm in 100%. Hours and hours a day where I had the game either up on my phone or on a separate monitor where I'd give it a quick check every minute.

But looking back, was that actually fun? No. The correct strategy is not the fun strategy.
Same feelings here, joy disappeared, obssesion remained... Most of the time I just spend grinding auction house and collections for extra PPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macacks View Post
*less disparity between the 100 level cards.
*more stats (double splits, Defensive runs/WAR, deeper career, etc)
*ability to dive deeper into lineups. L/R lineup to go with your starters. For example i may want a different defensive line up when madden (extreme GB) is pitching vs Lefty Grove (FB). I understand you can do this manually now.
Great points by macacks. Regarding the first one, I understand why such high-end cards were added lately - to keep the game alive even a year after release. However it has big impact on cap tournaments which were supposed to level the playing field between whales and more casual players. The core issue is IMHO hidden in mixing cards rarity and their performance level into one attribute. I don't see any reason why to bother with estimation of lvls for all non-perfect cards and then give TOTD Trout 100lvl instead of 150.
Secondly, the 100lvl cap on ratings also hides why it is so annoying to play against whales. Those perfect CY Youngs and Walter Johnsons are like 120ish lvl and gap between next pitchers like Pedro and Hoyt must be at least few lvls ... and then it just gets worse. The issue here isn't that those guys are just too good and ranked as lvl 100 but that there is just a few of them on the same lvl. If either there is more cards on the top lvl so there is higher drop rate of those top 120 lvl cards or all perfect cards are closer to each other, to 100 lvl. Yes, the whale will still have whole roster of perfects however the non-whale player will have one or perhaps two pitchers which could match the whale's staff and therefore with good strategy could steal some games. (any reason why Hoyt has overall rating 98 and B. Gibson 100 when all STU, MOV and CON are higher for Hoyt?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDash View Post
2) Tournaments.
The current format has lead to 'cookiecutter teams'. Some players (cards), at each level, are simply better than others - especially at the bronze/silver levels, where basically each card is obtainable, this leads to a bunch of very similar teams battling it out in any given tournament. Players not having their 'trained' defensive ratings adds to this homogenization further i.m.o.

This is difficult to address, but some suggestions:
- Make tournament data invisible / undownloadable, and/or,
- Instead of basing all tournaments (esp. at lower levels) on cards that players own, perhaps introduce a fantasy baseball draft type system, where players rank cards to their preference, and there is a set limit of duplicate cards per tournament. Probably difficult to implement, but it would introduce more variety and unpredictability to tournaments, which seems like fun to me.
Absolutely agree with this. I had some success with silver tournaments and I can say that not only the variety of cards is getting worse also the strategies get copied. This will lead in long term to one meta strategy and one roster. Personally, after establishing winning strategy and roster, tournaments became for me a matter of just not forgetting to sign up. Some variability would be definitely welcomed however I can think of only random ballpark dimensions for each instance of a tournament... not to mention that first time I ever signed up for a tournament with date 19XX I thought that the limitation were cards before 19XX not the rules

Lastly, I would like to propose a complicated topic for discussion - variety of card ratings. What I like about live cards is that there is more variety in stats like pitchers stamina or defensive ratings and it gives more options to build a team cheaper. E.g. I use 4-man rotation with high stuff but low control and such I am looking for a catcher with high catcher ability but I don't care that much about catcher's arm and in the same time I don't need pitchers with very high stamina. I understand that for historical players there aren't that much data and people care about realistic ratings however some noise in the ratings could be beneficial for the game play. In general to have more extreme ratings to fit variable strategies rather than complex high-end cards, your opinions?

Keep going OOTP team, I love the game and I am definitelly going to buy OOTP21.

EDIT: I am missing possibility to overwrite team strategy for individual pitchers in matter of pitching around and intentional walks, but that's just a detail...

Last edited by SF Giants; 01-27-2020 at 12:49 AM.
SF Giants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:05 PM   #58
Mocosloco
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neugey View Post
A few huge quality of life improvements that have been sticking in my mind, and hoping they would not be too difficult to implement:

- After you open a pack and see the 6 cards, have the ability to right click on a card, see it's details and options to auction/quick-sell it without it ever going into your collection

- Each card has information panel showing what date/time the card was acquired and how it was acquired (pull, reward or AH buy). In the case of an auction house buy, it would show how much you paid for it. If we had this, could change the transactions page to show like only the last two weeks of records (as I'm noticing it takes a long time to load nowadays).
I would just love to have arrow keys in the card management screen with a spacebar select working! Think I have carpal tunnel from clearing iron cards after this PT season...

Last edited by Mocosloco; 01-31-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Mocosloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #59
SF Giants
Minors (Double A)

There was something incomplete or missing in what I wrote in my previous post... there's a one essential thing which I couldn't figure out what was it until now...

Playing Hearthstone in the past set my expectations towards team/deck building and strategy creation gameplay. The initial thought is that for Hearthstone ultimate gameplay experience the cards must follow some rules and must be created for such purpose. However in PT universe the cards are created based on real historical data and such space for designing synergies among cards is very limited. Of course there are ballpark strategies dependent on correct cards e.g. lefties double/triple hitter park requiring high contact and gap power, but any high-end LH batter will hit there well too. Obviously PT isn't Hearthstone as the games (matches) are simulated and not played but is PT still baseball simulator? Perhaps the question should be asked in a different way - isn't there already a baseball sim gameplay with high complexity which includes additional dimensions like salaries, injuries and others? Yes, there is, so what else is there for PT universe? Tournaments in which the meta-game was found relatively fast and everyone uses the same strategy and rosters? Collection missions which are more about spending time refreshing auction house?

In my opinion PT's biggest charm/attraction is in collecting cards and around that core other things should be build. As collections would be core, PT league should be done in the same way as tournaments are done now. Player should choose in which league he/she wants to participate and enroll for it for one whole season (subscription). Letting one account to participate in three(XX?, one league compulsory registered as non-limited [current PT league]) different leagues at time would give players that much needed freedom to restart PT with new challenge anytime they feel bored. In the same time they could utilize their vast collection and tinker with ballpark dimensions and train players to new positions. Even themed teams could come as one of the leagues. Finally, this all would leave tournaments to be rather easy to play fun complement. Tournaments would transform to random concept that players would build their rosters from all possible cards in database e.g. player chooses 25 cards from those 75 which were randomly chosen. Random selection would still cover at least 3 cards for each position / roster spot. Obviously pre-requisite for all of this would be creation of HUGE card database. After that creating meaningful and thorough collection missions without option to sell mission rewards. Goal of the mission enhancement should be removal of bottlenecks and balancing AH functionality to make finishing missions challenging but not frustrating.

In conclusion, I firstly thought that I was missing variability in cards (to build more focused strategies), now I think that I am just missing the game mode variability. Maybe I am playing the game the wrong way, maybe I am just a hardcore gamer and want more... maybe I don't get it at all, who knows.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #60
Tinkerman
All Star Starter

The complete restriction on buying/selling cards between my own teams is driving me nuts! I keep pulling cards I want for collections - in the wrong teams. All I can do is sell them to someone else and go back to (endlessly) searching the AH... I think I've had enough of searching the AH for about the next 5 years (insane laughter)

Also, big +1 for hitting Enter to refresh/search the AH.

Tinkerman is offline   Reply With Quote