Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #61
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

What about storylines with retired players? Maybe when we get the news item that Player X is retiring, sometimes it mentions that he plans to go into broadcasting, or maybe he wants to become a coach, then we can go into the list of available coaches and offer him a contract.

Or 10 years after Player X retires, we get a news story that he's doing something noteworthy. Or even (not to be morbid), we get a news story 50 years later that a former superstar has passed away at the age of 92 (or whatever age).
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #62
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Then the storyline editor sucks.
Hey you can type whatever you want into the editor. Whether it will work in the game or not is a different story.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #63
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Maybe a teams star player could be forced to miss a weeks worth of games down the stretch during a tight pennant race with what appears to be a severe sinus infection. Could be a story about him losing his balance during batting practice. Later it could come out that the player has been consuming way too much caffeine and it has dried his eye sockets out.

Maybe the same player could decide to quit tobacco midway through the season and go into a huge slump. The teams GM could go public at the end of the season questioning why this player didn't wait till after the season to quit.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #64
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
You sound like me.
Truth be told, I've been getting somewhat cranky and irritated of late with certain aspects of OOTP and its development. I may need a vacation from it (I'll probably have to take one anyway whether I want to or not - real life will likely be grinding me into a fine paste in the next month or two)...
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:00 PM   #65
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Player is suspended X games for beating up a fan of the opposing team in the stadium parking lot after the fan was making insults/threats to the player.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #66
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
Player is suspended X games for beating up a fan of the opposing team in the stadium parking lot after the fan was making insults/threats to the player.

That would be the Dodgers correct?
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #67
flatjacket1
Bat Boy

How about setting stadium prices and choosing ad campaigns?

Or situations like the Darren Oliver situation where an older player demands more money than his team option otherwise he will retire?

Choosing minor league affiliates when contracts end with the host city sounds like a great idea too.

Maybe the John Farrel situation where you receive a player in return for another team trying to snatch up your manager?

Also maybe team focus on what parts of training, in the player development section (Like allotting a certain amount of dollars to weight training, a certain amount to pitching control, and being able to do this for every level of the minors).

Also for team scouting, maybe make it so you can hire multiple scouts?

Sorry I trailed off towards to end with just general ideas...
flatjacket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #68
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Truth be told, I've been getting somewhat cranky and irritated of late with certain aspects of OOTP and its development. I may need a vacation from it (I'll probably have to take one anyway whether I want to or not - real life will likely be grinding me into a fine paste in the next month or two)...
Brother, I know just how you feel. Good luck.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #69
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

I'm of a couple of opinions on storylines. I always liked the fact that Sim City was chock full of silly storylines rather than realistic ones, and wouldn't it be fun if OOTP were more like that.

Anyway, here are some ideas from me:
  • Player gets married
    • OPTION: Eventual divorce -> which could lead to remarrying
    • AFFECT: This one could have varying affects, as everyone responds differently to marriage. Maybe a lazy player's work ethic improves slightly as his wife pesters him. Maybe a player gets a little more or less greedy based on his wife's influence.
  • Player buys/sells new house
    • TRIGGER: Player gets big raise or his new contract isn't close to what he got paid last year.
  • Loyal player can't bear to sell house in old city.
    • TRIGGER: Loyal player gets traded from long-time team to a distant city.
  • Player bemused that daughter wears jersey of popular teammate
  • Player comments on use/non-use of designated hitter rule in league
    • TRIGGER: League should have been around for some time.
  • Pitcher/Hitter comment on opposing hitter/pitcher before/after facing off.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #70
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Per the above:

LA Times
Yeah, I've read a lot of articles like that, and the story of Justin Fashanu. It seems slightly more accepted in certain sports (i/e lesbians in tennis, now), but - as a bisexual man - I do find it disheartening. I would hope that the examples of Orlando Cruz and Frank Ocean (in boxing and hip-hop respectively) help the issue, but I'm not confident to be honest.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #71
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Yeah, I've read a lot of articles like that, and the story of Justin Fashanu. It seems slightly more accepted in certain sports (i/e lesbians in tennis, now), but - as a bisexual man - I do find it disheartening. I would hope that the examples of Orlando Cruz and Frank Ocean (in boxing and hip-hop respectively) help the issue, but I'm not confident to be honest.
I have a big-name writer for a friend and he thinks it will take around thirty years for full acceptance: "You might keep the straight jacket on for ten more years, tops. And then you might manage to make the few 'out' players miserable for five to ten years after that. But in thirty years or so, it'll be like watching a game with some very old white guys today who still get worked up when they see a black player: nothing."
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #72
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Here are a few for you, cody8200.

"After months of rumors and gossip among fans and tabloids, Justin Verlander of the Detroit Tigers confirmed that he and supermodel Kate Upton had been dating for months and had just returned from their secret honeymoon after eloping last month. Verlander's agent sent out a press release to all the major networks today confirming the details and including a picture of the happy couple's nuptials. Traffic to Verlander's personal website and Facebook pages increased dramatically with the news, and thousands of fans sent congratulatory emails to the Tigers' front office."

"Kansas City oufielder Jeff Francoeur's fan base has grown by leaps and bounds over the past week as highlights of his charitable deeds have made the rounds on sports television shows. One video shows 'Frenchy', as he is affectionately known to his fans, throwing money into the stands in-between innings against the A's last Sunday. Another video shows fans at Kaufmann Stadium enjoying pizza that Francoeur had bought for them. Sales of his jersey have skyrocketed since the videos started airing, and many phone calls asking for his appearance at charity events have the Royals' receptionists working overtime on their switchboards."

"Alex Rodriguez finally came clean last night about his rumored use of PEDs during his career. In an interview with baseball writer Peter Gammons, A-Rod admitted to using a banned substance during his tenure with the Texas Rangers. A Yankees' spokesperson tried to downplay the admission by stating that what Rodriguez took "wasn't banned at the time of his positive test so he is not guilty of violating league policy against PEDs." Despite their spin on the situation, angry emails have flooded into the Yankees' inboxes and videos posted on YouTube show angry Yankees fans burning their A-Rod jerseys."

Last edited by OBSL Commish; 01-28-2013 at 05:03 PM.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 AM   #73
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Tensions arise between two team mates. This is a clue that trading one may be beneficial for maintaining clubhouse morale.

If one of the players is not traded, but the team is playing to owner expectations (presumes is kind of what the players expect) AND both players are happy with their own performances the issue is considered to be worked out.

This performance check can be made at any time (a day, week, month) following the first sign of tensions. If the performance check is done and one of the criteria for unhappiness is met, there is a dugout blow up between the two players where the under performance of a player or the team is a smokescreen for the real issue, which could be anything from suspected theft to one player having an affair with the other's wife.

When the blow up occurs, team morale takes a hit and will continue to decline until one of the players goes elsewhere.

"The relationship between Player X and Player Y appears to have grown cold, recently. The two formerly amiable (Cubs, Mets, whatever team) now appear to be avoiding contact with each other."

"Following a routine ground out by struggling Player X, Player Y berated him in the dugout for not running out what was a bang bang play. Player X fired back at player Y by accusing him of cheating the rookies in clubhouse card games. The players lunged at each other and had to be separated by their team mates before either could do damage to the other. The sense in the clubhouse is that Player Y has to go."
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:41 AM   #74
jotro
Minors (Double A)

Star player faces moral dilemma during playoffs - does he sit or play on Jewish High Holidays?
jotro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #75
Ceej
Minors (Double A)

Clubhouse prank - player's loyalty score goes up as teammates share a laugh and camaraderie improves.

Clubhouse prank - player's loyalty score goes down as he didn't think it was funny and feels picked on instead.

Clubhouse prank - player's leadership score goes up as he reacts sternly to the prank, demonstrating he is serious about winning (think Kirk Gibson and the spring training eye black incident on the '88 Dodgers)

Foot race - two speedy players have a foot race in spring training.

Rumored deal falls apart when player REFUSES to waive his no-trade clause. Possible explanations from player (or his agent): he doesn't want to be a rental player who wouldn't fully earn his experience shared with the team, wants to pick his own team as a free agent, it's important to player that he sees the season through to the end in his current city.
Ceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #76
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

I will think of stories about deadball and 20's, such as Tuberculosis, flu and Bright's disease.

Is there a way you can make stories appear from date x to date y? Then change over with the times?

As for Story triggers

PLEASE, PLEASE

give us Player X's 1st hit, 1st HR, 1st win, 1st save, 1st CG, 1st SHO...etc as a story
Then please give us stories when they pass ANY record, even if it is Sacrifice hits

Also, when they pass records for their positions...nothing kept me on the edge of my seat in my dynasty when I was C Steve O'Neill start becoming the Catcher of the deadball era by passing the old guard catchers before him in H,R,RBI,2B,3B,HR

But it would be a lot easier if the game told me rather than looking every month that Steve O'Neill is now the leader in hits for catchers all time

And, it would be nice to get stories about team records

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"

Last edited by Carlton; 01-28-2013 at 02:59 AM.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #77
Piccamo
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Storyline 1
Player X wants to pursue a football career in addition to his baseball career.
Option: Team forbids player; player's morale drops or player may retire from baseball.
Option: Team allows player, enabling the following:
  • Every February, X has a 1:32 chance of winning the Super Bowl, seeing an increase in his morale and popularity.
  • Every year from October through February, the player has a chance of being injured due to football.
  • Every year between ages 22 and 36, player may retire to pursue football career.

Storyline 2
Player X makes racist comments to the press. X's popularity immediately becomes Disliked.
Option: Team may reprimand X, leading to X losing morale.
Option: Team publicly sends X to therapy (costs money) to save face with the public. X has a 3:4 chance to become Unknown instead of Disliked.

Storyline 3
Player X's father is a former baseball player and coached his son throughout high school and college. He asks to join his son to help him continue training.
Option: Team denies father's request. Player loses morale. In the next year, without his father's influence, the team's coaches tweak his mechanics. X has a 1:10 chance to lose 5% from one tool's potential. X has a 1:8 chance to gain 5% for one tool's potential.
Option: Team agree's to father's request. Player gains morale. In the next year, the team's coaches are unable to tweak the player's mechanics. X has a 1:10 chance to lose 5% from one tool's potential. X is able to progress faster due to the extra feedback from his father. There is a 1:8 chance of gaining 5% to current/maximum ratings.

Storyline 4
Player X saved a local child from a burning building. Instant boost to popularity and morale. Over the next year there is a 1:12 chance that the player is rewarded by the family, granting an additional boost to morale.
Piccamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #78
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccamo View Post
Storyline 1
Player X wants to pursue a football career in addition to his baseball career.
Option: Team forbids player; player's morale drops or player may retire from baseball.
Option: Team allows player, enabling the following:
  • Every February, X has a 1:32 chance of winning the Super Bowl, seeing an increase in his morale and popularity.
  • Every year from October through February, the player has a chance of being injured due to football.
  • Every year between ages 22 and 36, player may retire to pursue football career.
Player X better do it before the NFL turns into the National Flag Football League.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #79
tomwolf2008
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piccamo View Post

Storyline 3
Player X's father is a former baseball player and coached his son throughout high school and college. He asks to join his son to help him continue training.
Option: Team denies father's request. Player loses morale. In the next year, without his father's influence, the team's coaches tweak his mechanics. X has a 1:10 chance to lose 5% from one tool's potential. X has a 1:8 chance to gain 5% for one tool's potential.
Option: Team agree's to father's request. Player gains morale. In the next year, the team's coaches are unable to tweak the player's mechanics. X has a 1:10 chance to lose 5% from one tool's potential. X is able to progress faster due to the extra feedback from his father. There is a 1:8 chance of gaining 5% to current/maximum ratings.
I'm going to guess this won't be possible with storyline engine
tomwolf2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #80
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Storyline
X player can trace his linage back to the forefathers of baseball.
Option 1
The linage can be verified. Resulting in a 33% of increased popularity
Option 2
The linage can not be verified. Result in a 50% decrease in popularity
Option 3
Who cares. Fan loyalty goes down 10%.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote