Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Articles About OOTP's Games

Articles About OOTP's Games Read and discuss OOTP's articles about the history of its games and the fans like you who have created unique worlds with them.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
BradC
All Star Starter

Shane Callahan: Trading Away Strasburg on the Set of 'Revolution'

Shane Callahan may not be a household name, but he's one of many Hollywood actors who sustain themselves with a steady stream of minor roles in movies and TV shows. Since 1989, he has amassed 42 acting credits, with 35 of them after 2000. He has played everything from Rookie Cop in a made-for-TV movie to a medic named Jimmy in five episodes of the TV series "Revolution."

"I think I traded Stephen Strasburg away while on the set of 'Revolution,'" Callahan says. He runs team in the MLB Pro and PBL online leagues, and he says playing OOTP while on the set helps while away the lengthy stretches of downtime that are typical of an actor's life. "I check PMs from leagues I am in all the time while sitting in a trailer I am checking," he says. "Checking reports. Looking for possible trades and so forth. It's quite addicting."

The Old Days

Callahan began playing OOTP in 2007, but it wasn't his first experience managing digital baseball teams. He recalls an experience that many older OOTP players will probably appreciate: "Back in the Sega 8-bit baseball days, I used to keep track of stats and records and make schedules in notebooks with old console games. I'd have piles and piles of notebook papers on baseball stats from all the games I'd play. I'd set up the schedules and everything."

He also played baseball in his youth, from tee-ball at the age of six through earning a spot on his high school team as a freshman. He's a lifelong Pittsburgh Pirates fan, saying: "In western Pennsylvania you don't have a choice -- it's ingrained in your soul to root for all Pittsburgh teams."

Too Addicting

Callahan prefers playing OOTP online. "I got hooked on an online game, Dark Ages of Camelot for a couple years, and I loved playing with other people. I would play OOTP even if it didn't have online leagues, but the fact that we can play with human GMs is extremely fun to me. It adds a great layer of all the personalities to it and potential drama as well."

Of course, he takes the reins of the Pirates in his online leagues and says he enjoys building them up to be "a consistent winner year in and year out. Keeping that team financially able to retain all the star players I have and just keeping them together by working contracts to fit within budgets has been great. They have finished with over 100 wins in six out of the last seven seasons."

PBL was in the year 2023 at the time of Callahan's interview with OOTP Developments, and he says his favorite experience in that league has been "trying to trade Tommy Hanson every year for the last four seasons and everybody telling me he is too old, but he just keeps on pitching like a top 5 ace anyway, so I'm happy to keep him."

Callahan adds: "Hanson's ratings are still great at age 36. His record the last five seasons has been 16-8, 12-5, 16-9, 14-3, 14-7, with ERAs of 2.94, 2.92, 3.84, 2.28, and 3.54. Every one of those years I've tried to trade him after the season for financial reasons, but everyone says he's too old. So I trade others and just keep him." Callahan laughs at the thought.

In the end, he says he keeps playing OOTP because it's "better than any baseball game I've played for sure. It's too addicting, actually."
BradC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
sowders22
Minors (Single A)

He should have bragged more about his success in MLB Pro. He's an utter force. Some bad luck in the postseason so far but completely controls the AL East during the season as the Rays GM. Great guy too and we love having him.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
stevem810
All Star Starter

Actually, I've seen him in both venues. As a newcomer to MLB-PRO I am familiar with his first place Rays and how good they were in 13 but in truth they paled to the small market dynasty that he put together in the PBL. While it's true that I started out with a disastrous team, yet I was in his division for 10 seasons and I think the closest I ever came to his Pirates was probably 2nd place and 4 games out.

He is systematic in his approach. Nobody out trades Shane and he's on top of his Pirates to the extent that he wins the division every year, often makes it to the Championship game, and when he loses it's usually through 'bad' luck more than being over matched.
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote