Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Why does David Eckstein still have a job?

For those in the WHBL, please ignore my crosspost.

On Eckstein:

He's absolutely horrible.

He comes in on the bottom-half of most offensive categories at SS (2004) including being one or two slots from dead last in OPS for qualified shortstops, his fielding RF is at or below the league average every year, and yet he's consistently held up as an example of a 'scrappy' (read: good) baseball player.

Does he have THAT many intangibles? I mean I've seen the guy play. He's fun to watch. But who cares. Lots of guys have been fun to watch over the years.

I'm just flipping through articles and wondering why this man is still in the bigs, much less starting for one of the better teams in baseball. Meanwhile, folks are continuing to second-guess the LA Angels replacing him with a considerably more capable Orlando Cabrera.

What am I missing?

-E

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

He googled "easy shortstop jobs," of course.

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
UngratefulDead
Banned

Nobody grounds out to second as scrappily as David Eckstein. Blasphemy!
UngratefulDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enuttage
For those in the WHBL, please ignore my crosspost.

On Eckstein:

He's absolutely horrible.

He comes in on the bottom-half of most offensive categories at SS (2004) including being one or two slots from dead last in OPS for qualified shortstops, his fielding RF is at or below the league average every year, and yet he's consistently held up as an example of a 'scrappy' (read: good) baseball player.

Does he have THAT many intangibles? I mean I've seen the guy play. He's fun to watch. But who cares. Lots of guys have been fun to watch over the years.

I'm just flipping through articles and wondering why this man is still in the bigs, much less starting for one of the better teams in baseball. Meanwhile, folks are continuing to second-guess the LA Angels replacing him with a considerably more capable Orlando Cabrera.

What am I missing?

-E
I wish I knew why he's a starter. I thought he made a good bench player and clubhouse guy, but I hated seeing him out there at Short for the Angels. It was fun watching him try to throw the ball across the infield, but apart from that I'm not sure what his worth was. But all my Angel buddies disagree (with no reason other than their love of Eck).
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
IatricSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

What's St. Louis paying this guy, anyway?

I saw he was making over $2M with Anaheim last year. Wow. Just. Wow. All is not right with baseball salaries, for sure.

Many thought Kaz Matsui had an 'off' year last year. He looked great compared to Eckstein. Royce Clayton looked All-Star caliber.

-E

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
Old 04-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

With the caveat that there are MANY shortstops I would rather have....

OBP will be around .350 for the year. Not awful, and in this lineup, a shoo-in to score 110 runs.

The very finest fielding percentage in the major leagues at his position.

SIX errors for the year, in over 500 total chances. Sure, his range factor wasn't high....but he ain't gonna throw the ball into the seats...and Rolen's exceptional range will partially mask this lack of range.

He appears to have a GREAT attitude, and is a welcome addition to the Cardinals clubhouse.

He is 8 million dollars a year cheaper than Renteria. There ain't 8 million dollars LESS value between the two.

The 8 million dollars allowed them to acquire Mulder from the A's.

I don't know about you, but I would rather have Eckstein/Mulder than Renteria/whothe****knows.

Sling your arrows, throw your stones...he is a decent player for the money.

Last edited by dsvitak; 04-22-2005 at 05:49 PM.
dsvitak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
Davey Eckstein
Banned

Davey Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Did I mention that he is the very toughest player in the major leagues to strike out?

Did I mention that he has one of the very finest pitches seen/at bat ratio in the majors? He personally saw 25 pitches over the course of a game the other day. This is very underrated. If you get into the Cubs bullpen, you're gonna win.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #9
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvitak
He is 8 million dollars a year cheaper than Renteria. There ain't 8 million dollars LESS value between the two.
You are absolutely right about that!

I just can't believe they couldn't've found someone better. And the fielding percentage is, um, kinda arbitrary.

Even the RF doesn't tell the full story, but I'm buying into the argument that it matters more.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #10
Davey Eckstein
Banned

Oh, and by the way, I disagree with you strongly.

He hits .270+, gets on base a lot, rarely strikes out, swipes some bags and his a very good fielder (RF is garbage). He has no power, and probably isn't an all-star, but he's a good player. Hustles his anus off.

Why does he have a job? Because the Card's GM knows who to go for.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:04 PM   #11
dsvitak
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Meanwhile, folks are continuing to second-guess the LA Angels replacing him with a considerably more capable Orlando Cabrera.

What am I missing?
A hell of a lot, if you think Orlando Cabrera is a better player than Eckstein.

Look up and compare the two lifetime batting average. I'll wait. Hmmm...I'll save you the trouble.

Eckstein .278
Cabrera .268

Hmmm....it must be the OBP.
Eckstein .347
Cabrera .316

.316? This sucks. Hard. 39 walks in 670+ plate appearances.

They are different type of players. If you need a seventh place hitter, with a small amount of pop in his bat, and you need a decent fielder, then MAYBE Cabrera is a better deal.

If you need a lead-off hitter, and defense isn't critical, then a better call is Eckstein.

You want to see Cabrera as a lead-off hitter? Look at Louie Aparacio's stats.

Oh...Cabrera is a year older.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Did I mention that he is the very toughest player in the major leagues to strike out?

Did I mention that he has one of the very finest pitches seen/at bat ratio in the majors? He personally saw 25 pitches over the course of a game the other day. This is very underrated. If you get into the Cubs bullpen, you're gonna win.
Elaborate. I understand that with pitch counts enforced the way that they are, he's going to help get into someone's bullpen sooner, but...I dunno if that's really worth it.

Or is it...

If he followed up by actually walking now and then, his OBP would be better. His career OBP is .349, but it hasn't been that good the past two years.

I just think he's pretty damn bad, overall.

-E

Last edited by enuttage; 04-22-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:10 PM   #13
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Good point on the Cabrera career comparison.

I think part of my problem was that I was looking at stats mainly from the past two years.

Cabrera is wildly inconsistent, which makes him a huge gamble. Will he be Cabrera 2004 (not great), or Cabrera 2003 (pretty damn good)?

Eckstein is pretty damn consistent, so I definitely see the appeal there. Though his '03 stats pale in comparison to Cabrera. Career stats show Eckstein was better in the past, and Cabrera was worse. Eckstein's '02 brings his last two year up a bit. Cabrera's '03 brings his up some.

I'm beginning to see the value some see in Eck with your help. Thanks guys.

I still think he's a bit overrated, and probably overpaid (still not sure what he's making), but I can see the upside now.

-E

Last edited by enuttage; 04-22-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:12 PM   #14
<o>
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Why does David Eckstein still have a job?
Because you obviously didn't tryout for enough teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atarizx3
Hooray for Haliburton! Keeping overseas American casualities to a minimum since 2004!
<o> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #15
Joe Morgan
Minors (Triple A)

David Eckstein may not be the best shortstop in baseball but he is a magnificent ballplayer. He's the type of guy I would pick for my team every time. David is the perfect leadoff hitter. He's quick, he's scrappy and he's a sparkplug. What he lacks in ability he makes up for by hustling and working his tail off. He is an inspiration to everyone else on his team and makes them all work that much harder. Intangibles like that are priceless and for the small salary he's making he would be one of my top picks if I was drafting a team. He might not have the defence of a Derek Jeter or the offense of an Edgar Renteria but he is a solid and underated shortstop.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:15 PM   #16
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
If you need a lead-off hitter, and defense isn't critical, then a better call is Eckstein.

When is defense NOT critical at the SS posistion?
Lets try and keep some sanity here.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 04-22-2005 at 06:17 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #17
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjager
When it defense NOT critical at the SS posistion?
lol. Yeah, there is that.

Old 04-22-2005, 06:16 PM   #18
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morgan
David Eckstein may not be the best shortstop in baseball but he is a magnificent ballplayer. He's the type of guy I would pick for my team every time. David is the perfect leadoff hitter. He's quick, he's scrappy and he's a sparkplug. What he lacks in ability he makes up for by hustling and working his tail off. He is an inspiration to everyone else on his team and makes them all work that much harder. Intangibles like that are priceless and for the small salary he's making he would be one of my top picks if I was drafting a team. He might not have the defence of a Derek Jeter or the offense of an Edgar Renteria but he is a solid and underated shortstop.
best.alias.ever
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #19
Davey Eckstein
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjager
When it defense NOT critical at the SS posistion?
When you have Rolen at third.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:18 PM   #20
bulldog55
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morgan
He might not have the defence of a Derek Jeter
Roffle. Nice touch.

Being smart, don't always make you popular.
bulldog55 is offline   Reply With Quote