Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #1
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Are These Minor Classes Intentional or a Mistake?

This has been bugging me for a while now, especially since the OOTP devs don't fool around when it comes to real-world accuracy. I couldn't find anything through Search, so sorry if this has been asked before...

Why is the Gulf Coast League considered a more advanced Class than the New York-Penn League? Technically, they're both labeled BC Class, but I'll see red down arrows on GCL players, never on a New York-Penn League player. So, that tells me GCL is "higher" in my farm system. Speaking of "BC" Class, why is that still being used? The B, C & D Classifications were last used in 1962!

The New York-Penn League should be classified as Class A Short Season while the Gulf Coast League should be classified as Rookie.

Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Not sure what setup you got but gcl is classified as a rookie league in the default setup.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
This has been bugging me for a while now, especially since the OOTP devs don't fool around when it comes to real-world accuracy. I couldn't find anything through Search, so sorry if this has been asked before...

Why is the Gulf Coast League considered a more advanced Class than the New York-Penn League? Technically, they're both labeled BC Class, but I'll see red down arrows on GCL players, never on a New York-Penn League player. So, that tells me GCL is "higher" in my farm system. Speaking of "BC" Class, why is that still being used? The B, C & D Classifications were last used in 1962!

The New York-Penn League should be classified as Class A Short Season while the Gulf Coast League should be classified as Rookie.

Any ideas?

So first off, I’m not sure anyone’s using B, C & D classifications except you...

Anyways, my only thought is that it’s looking at the GCL to be above DSL (which it is) rather than the NYPL. I acknowledge that DSL is only for international players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
qcbandits
Banned

Infractions: 0/4 (4)
B, C, D hasn't been used in years

There is definitely something messed up with ur game
qcbandits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Starter

are you playing a historical replay or historical minors? That information would probably help.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #6
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcbandits View Post
B, C, D hasn't been used in years

There is definitely something messed up with ur game
Nope, nothing wrong with his game (at least as it applies to MiLB levels/designations ). Official B, C, D, etc., designations have been gone from minor league baseball for decades (since 1962). However, OOTP uses them, as you can see from the image below...

The image is from an OOPT historical game that is in 1993, so it may not exactly match to current, but you get the idea... I believe B and C each represent a level (short season and something else), and D and E represent (I think) high and low rookie league. And for OOTP, B and C are combined and D and E are combined (just like "A" represents both Advanced-A and "just" A).

At any rate, the Appy and Pioneer Leagues are "Rookie Advanced" leagues, slightly above the AZL and GCL, which are "Rookie" leagues.
Attached Images
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:42 PM   #7
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Nope, nothing wrong with his game (at least as it applies to MiLB levels/designations ). Official B, C, D, etc., designations have been gone from minor league baseball for decades (since 1962). However, OOTP uses them, as you can see from the image below...

The image is from an OOPT historical game that is in 1993, so it may not exactly match to current, but you get the idea... I believe B and C each represent a level (short season and something else), and D and E represent (I think) high and low rookie league. And for OOTP, B and C are combined and D and E are combined (just like "A" represents both Advanced-A and "just" A).

At any rate, the Appy and Pioneer Leagues are "Rookie Advanced" leagues, slightly above the AZL and GCL, which are "Rookie" leagues.
Ugh. I am so sorry. I can't believe I forgot to mention that I am playing a Historical saved game. I started with the 1981 Yankees and I'm currently in 1985. theHef is right on track with what I'm talking about. There's nothing wrong with my game.

You can see the two minor league in the drop-down list, or as the heading for each team with those roster boxes. Both Gulf Coast League and New York-Penn League are assigned the classification of BC in OOTP. As I said in the OP, Class B and Class C were abolished at the end of 1962. So, there shouldn't be any B or C League Classifications in OOTP after 1962. The New York-Penn League should be labeled Class A Short Season. The Gulf Coast League should be labeled Rookie.
Class A Short Season is a "higher" classification than Rookie. Yet, they are reversed in OOTP.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:18 AM   #8
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
...Both Gulf Coast League and New York-Penn League are assigned the classification of BC in OOTP. As I said in the OP, Class B and Class C were abolished at the end of 1962. So, there shouldn't be any B or C League Classifications in OOTP after 1962. The New York-Penn League should be labeled Class A Short Season. The Gulf Coast League should be labeled Rookie.
Class A Short Season is a "higher" classification than Rookie. Yet, they are reversed in OOTP.
There is no functional correlation (at least, not that I'm aware of) between the real-life B, C, D, E that were used prior to 1963, and the BC and DE that OOTP uses. The Level Abbreviations in OOTP are as follows:

AAA - Triple A
AA - Double A
A - Single A
BC- Short Season A
DE - Rookie League

The last two abbreviations could've just as easily been SSA and RL. Think of it that way... In fact, those are just the default abbreviations. I'm pretty sure you can edit them to your liking... And they are actually different if you create a game based on current real-life setup:
Attached Images
Old 04-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #9
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
There is no functional correlation (at least, not that I'm aware of) between the real-life B, C, D, E that were used prior to 1963, and the BC and DE that OOTP uses. The Level Abbreviations in OOTP are as follows:

AAA - Triple A
AA - Double A
A - Single A
BC- Short Season A
DE - Rookie League

The last two abbreviations could've just as easily been SSA and RL. Think of it that way... In fact, those are just the default abbreviations. I'm pretty sure you can edit them to your liking... And they are actually different if you create a game based on current real-life setup:
Yes. I do understand where you're coming from and I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this with me. I just found it odd that they used BC since it's not something that was used in real life in 1985. However, I still think it's wrong to have the New York-Penn League "lower" than the Gulf Coast League team in my farm system.

Oh, by the way...Thank you so much for letting me know those things could be edited. I had absolutely no idea. I knew I could change info for individual League "Rules", but it never occurred to me to try the other tabs. Thanks!!
Old 03-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #10
thehef
Hall Of Famer

posted in wrong forum
Attached Images