Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
schreck
Minors (Single A)

Historical Minor Leagues - Always Changing

I'm playing through my first ever historical league in Challenge Mode, and kept the settings to the original. First, I love it! It's amazing to see all of the legends and always fun when guys like Musial, Berra, DiMaggio, Ted Williams, etc show up in the draft.

Onto my question though. I started in the 1920's and am in the mid-40's now. It seems like every year or 2, I either add or lose a bunch of minor league teams in my system. Coming into this year, I went from 5 to 19 or 20 teams, and there have been a few years where I went from 10 to 5 or so.

I can't seem to find a setting that impacts it at all, and maybe I had was supposed to set that when I set up the league originally. It can be really frustrating going through the trouble of setting up my minor leagues with coaches and putting players where I want them at the end of one season, then all of a sudden I think sometime in January/February my entire minor league system is completely different with some teams gone and a bunch of new ones that have no players.

Whether I suddenly lose a bunch of teams and have a 100 guys DFA'd or suddenly gain a bunch of teams and have to fill 100+ spots, it's annoying. Is there any way to change it at this point?

Not trying to whine, it's just one of those little things that come up and can be tedious to deal with, so would be great if there is a simple setting that let me lock the minor league teams to a smaller range so it didn't swing so drastically. I'm still new to the historical stuff so appreciate the advice of the experts out there.
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Argonaut
All Star Starter

You must have checked the "historical minor leagues" setting. I'm doing this too on my current historical dynasty. Although I started in 1972, so perhaps mine is less volatile. I quite like it, as it adds more flavour to the universe. I haven't had a problem with players moving around when the teams change.. I mean, they do.. but I just ask the AI to setup minor leagues and everybody gets shuffled around appropriately.

Although I do have recalc on and development off, so the minor leagues don't really have a purpose except to generate stats for my players, and keep them around in my system. I could see how historical minors could be annoying if you want to micromanage development to some extent.

I don't know if you can change the "historical minors" setting in-game, I'm not at home right now. But if so it'll be there somewhere in the settings. If no one else responds I'll check in a few hours.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #3
Argonaut
All Star Starter

I've found the option, check out the attached image and where I've highlighted yellow. It may or may not be possible to change this with Challenge Mode on.
Attached Images
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #4
schreck
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for digging into that, really appreciate it! I think I looked over all the settings half a dozen times and must have just been going right over that one.

Now I'm second guessing whether I want to change it. I want it to be as 'real' as possible. I like the fluctuation too, just seems like it gets really extreme every few years so would like to reign it in a little. I'll play around a little bit and see what happens.
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Historical Minors are dynamic, If you turn them off you will lose the Team changes, affiliations, disbandment etc... (as they happened Historically) But you will also lose the Historical MiLB database and only get players in your drafts that actually made it to the MLB level.

The minors reset after the Season Turns over "Off-Season Begins" My suggestion is as soon as this happens have the AI set your entire MINOR LEAUGE system and then make some adjustments as necessary. The Historical Minors don't start to stabilize until about 1963 and become less volatile from that point on. This resource may help you in understanding what Happened "Historically with regard to Minor League Baseball.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r.../affiliate.cgi

Hope this helps
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 08-16-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

The one thing that makes the minor leagues untenable for me is the fact that more often than not, once I have my teams set post-1963, once I run a couple of seasons, OOTP wants to change my levels below AAA to what they were prior to 1963.

To wit, Rookie leagues become "D" and "E" leagues, and high minors are assigned the "B" and "C" classifications.

Not realistic for a league that is set in 1995, for example.

It is for this VERY reason that I "manually" manage my minor league teams!

I consider this a bug, but one that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:05 AM   #7
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
The one thing that makes the minor leagues untenable for me is the fact that more often than not, once I have my teams set post-1963, once I run a couple of seasons, OOTP wants to change my levels below AAA to what they were prior to 1963.

To wit, Rookie leagues become "D" and "E" leagues, and high minors are assigned the "B" and "C" classifications.

Not realistic for a league that is set in 1995, for example.

It is for this VERY reason that I "manually" manage my minor league teams!

I consider this a bug, but one that doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon.
Well, unless something has changed, the Level designation of the Minors, D, E, BC, Rookies etc... is meaningless. The lowest level will be considered as such and subsequent higher levels will be stepping stones to MLB regardless of what they are called. It's purely a cosmetic issue.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 08-16-2019 at 09:41 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #8
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Well, unless something has changed, the Level designation of the Minors, D, E, BC, Rookies etc... is meaningless. The lowest level will be considered as such and subsequent higher levels will be stepping stones to MLB regardless of what they are called. It's purely a cosmetic issue.
this is true - the levels are actually 1-5 the label can be whatever the user chooses to set it to.

the only reason modern names are not used is players kept getting caught up in the - this league should be a medium A winter league with sprinkles stuff.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #9
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
Well, unless something has changed, the Level designation of the Minors, D, E, BC, Rookies etc... is meaningless.
It just kills the immersion for me, when I see what I KNOW should be an SSA league (for example) labeled as a D league, post-1963.
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote