Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #1
Coja
Minors (Single A)

Locking a minor leaguers position ?

I like GM'ing the game and somewhat managing the big league club. It breaks immersion for me if I micromanage my farm system. I like to limit my farm involvement to promotions/demotions/trades/FAs - basically just roster moves. I like to leave most day to day operations to the minor league coaching staff.

But, I also would like to be able to give the coach a quick call in regards to general development.

For instance, I may have a strong, young LF on my big league club - and a strong prospect OF. I'd like him to develop in RF (so in the future, he and the LF can more effectively play together), but often my coaches will put him in LF. Or, maybe I view a prospect as a #4 OF - and would like him to get somewhat comfortable with all 3 OF positions.

I think this is a reasonable phone call a GM would make to task his minor league manager to do.

What's the best way to accomplish this (at the same time, allowing the minor league coaches to handle day to day operations).

Last edited by Coja; 04-08-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Coja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #2
pgjocki
All Star Starter

You can select player and adjust his individual strategy to start in RF, but I don't know about getting him playing time at all positions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
Coja
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
You can select player and adjust his individual strategy to start in RF, but I don't know about getting him playing time at all positions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Outstanding ! This will work.

For the multiple positions, I'll just let him learn them one at a time using that function !

Thank you for the help.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #4
MrDov
Minors (Triple A)

We have similar ways for how we want to run our minor leagues. What I did in OOTP18 that seemed to work for me was lock guys into a position for a week at a time. I'd pick one day (iirc Thursday was the day) and every week on that day I'd go through my minor league system and change my prospects' positions around. So I'd have my couple players at each level locked into a position then let the manager set lineups and positions for everyone else.
MrDov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

one thing to conside:

when you force start someone at a position, their backup is at best "play if tired".

so, for a position that gets fatigued, like Catcher, you may want to approach it a different way. there's potential to overwork the player an that has negative consequences.

unless yo change fatigue settings from default, catcher is probably the only position i'd worry about.

for catchers: move any higher rated catcher to a different level and make sure the backup and 3rd catcher are weaker prospects in the eyes of your scout/manager (check depth chart after you ask ai coach to set it).

or, see what happens if both are set to force start at C - do they split time? is that good enough for you? unlike an mlb roster, playing time does effect development a bit. it's not the end of the world if they don't maximize playing time, though. probably a smaller effect than running a catcher to ~5% or less before a substution repeatedly. (whenver they are forced to be substituted due to too low of fatigue%)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #6
Coja
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDov View Post
We have similar ways for how we want to run our minor leagues. What I did in OOTP18 that seemed to work for me was lock guys into a position for a week at a time. I'd pick one day (iirc Thursday was the day) and every week on that day I'd go through my minor league system and change my prospects' positions around. So I'd have my couple players at each level locked into a position then let the manager set lineups and positions for everyone else.
Thanks

Is almost exactly what I decided to do ! (Except, I go twice a month. I only play out games on the 1st and 15th-or close to that, and go through the system at those times). I find that playing 12 games or so a year (+deciding playoff games) lets me get to know my team pretty well (as well as of course pouring over the transaction & lineup screens).

Other than that, I just make changes for injuries. It's been producing great results. I've been able to turn that young LF into a guy that learns all 3 OF spots, and is a serviceable #4 OF that can rest all 3 spots. Or that young SS that is blocked by my all-star SS, is now able to play 3 IF spots when he comes up. Exactly what I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
one thing to conside:

when you force start someone at a position, their backup is at best "play if tired".

so, for a position that gets fatigued, like Catcher, you may want to approach it a different way. there's potential to overwork the player an that has negative consequences.

unless yo change fatigue settings from default, catcher is probably the only position i'd worry about.

for catchers: move any higher rated catcher to a different level and make sure the backup and 3rd catcher are weaker prospects in the eyes of your scout/manager (check depth chart after you ask ai coach to set it).

or, see what happens if both are set to force start at C - do they split time? is that good enough for you? unlike an mlb roster, playing time does effect development a bit. it's not the end of the world if they don't maximize playing time, though. probably a smaller effect than running a catcher to ~5% or less before a substution repeatedly. (whenver they are forced to be substituted due to too low of fatigue%)
Hmm. I didn't consider this, good tip. But, I've not yet ran into a situation where the AI doesn't share my catcher opinion. He seems to always automatically choose to pick the guy I want time to be given to. This is probably my fault, err my doing. I normally have 1 catcher on a farm team that I see as a possible prospect, and 1 guy that is an obvious filler. So, the minor league coach will usually use them correctly.

Although, they normally select "Play if tired" for the backup. I haven't seen this be an issue though, as when he gets tired the backup plays. You find that setting to be problematic for catchers ?