Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-12-2017, 12:40 PM   #1
gurksen2000
Bat Boy

Question Noob needs help: Tactical system + Lines for the Ducks

Hello,

I am new to the game and trying to get used to the tactical system. Myself coming from sims in the likes of OOTP and Football Mannager I still find it hard to get a grasp on things. I have got the feeling that one cannot do much coaching while the matches are running. Or am I wrong ?

Has anyone played the actual roster of the Anaheim Ducks lately with some kind of success? If you could share your experience with lines and tactics it would a help me a lot. So I could learn better the how`s and why`s of coaching and buildung up a season`s strategy.

I have looked through the post with the dynasty reports in this forum lately but with no big help. Unfortunately the most reports are dealing with drafts and for the lesser part with how and why a certain tactic is used.

Any suggestions how to deal with the tactical system would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance.
gurksen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

From what I've noticed as a fellow noob is that most don't really bother with the role tactics, because they're a little vague, so they let the AI choose. If you want to bother with them, my suggestion would be to read the manual, then read up on scouting reports for your players ( not in game either as they are also rather vague). Do you understand why most don't bother yet? Those that are new at least.

As far as the lines go, I go online and use the lines the team is using in reality. The issue with that the role tactics are tied to the lines, so if you choose to have the AI set your role tactics, it also adjusts your lines. Thus you have to move the players back and ugh...You can change your role tactics during a game, but how much depends on your coach rating for In Game Tactics when you do the manager setup.

Last edited by Savoie45; 11-12-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
gurksen2000
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoie45 View Post
that most don't really bother with the role tactics, because they're a little vague, so they let the AI choose.
I have had some premonitions in this direction for the last hours of gaming. Now I understand. But this is then not a game for me. Just deleted it from my system. Hoped that the tactical and quality demands are higher. Sadly not.

But thank your for your thoughts.
gurksen2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Shadow4u
Minors (Single A)

I think part of the issue is understanding that role changes etc are nuanced to a degree. You have to see the results over time before you can make a decision. I typically will allow the assistant to choose the lineups but I will always choose the overall tactics. I will try each one and then the let the assistant choose the roles and lines based on the tactic until I find the one that seems to be the best fit and has the players on proper lines.

You also should not underestimate the value of depth - having 3rd or 4th line players as 2/3 or 2/4 or 3/5 etc is much better than 2/2 or 1/2 -

On the power play - if you want a forward to play one of the point positions - choose a tactic that will accomplish that.

Ideally if you find the perfect place for a person, you could click a " lock " button that would hold him there and you could let the assistant do the rest.

But I admit - it is all a bit confusing. The tactical scores presented prior to the game over time do make a difference - but is frustrating when your tactical scores are so much better than your opponent and you lose 4-1. But over time you will win these games. Or if you are watching the game - it sure seems like every time you have the momentum you can count on the other team scoring. Just an anecdotal observation - -I'm sure that would never happen.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
GmOfTheYear
Major Leagues

Theres no question the tactics in this game need a huge overhaul but they aren't dealbreakers because other parts of the game are still fun and this game is going to keep getting better.
GmOfTheYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
micpringle
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmOfTheYear View Post
the tactics in this game need a huge overhaul
I'm not sure they need a huge overhaul, there just needs to be a bit more transparency and some tweaks to how certain bits of information are displayed.
micpringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

I'd prefer that information to come in the form of scouting reports and reports from the coaching staff, and not straight up 'put player A in role A, player B in role B' form.

Scouting reports could be a little more direct, but have a decent fudge factor.. Scout thinks Player A could be an effective power forward... but is Scout A right? Is he a good judge of ability and potential? Scout B says player A would be an effective 2 way player. Whose right? Maybe they both are, or maybe both are wrong.
Scouting would be more important.
Assistant coaches could do the same, and base it on their ability to evaluate.

And have an assistant GM position for the AI. It could be given the task to evaluate tactics for the team and individual players based on the current roster using the ability scouting and tactics ratings, and their preference for offense or defense. It could also use the potential scouting rating to evaluate tactics based on the best players (potential) on your protected list.

While there'd be a chance that the AI would give you good info, it would be highly dependent on its ratings. At the very least, it would give you a good place to start in defining your own tactics choices and roles.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:06 PM   #8
Savoie45
All Star Reserve

I like Eastside Hockey Manager and how it does tactics. You can choose to use a set for the team as a whole or set tactics for each player. Plus the tactics aren't tied to the lines. In other words, you can set your lines without setting the tactics for each player.
Savoie45 is offline   Reply With Quote