Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #101
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
But of course once I'm more confident with how baseball itself works and completely familiar with OOTP I will set all difficulties to maximum. Otherwise I've stopped learning...and where's the fun in that?

It is one of the reasons I've ditched FM altogether. I can toy about with it till I'm blue in the face but every year the minor changes don't require radical strategic change is another year that I'm doing almost the exact same thing with different names and numbers over and over. OOTPD your time will come...but look on the bright side, SCI had me for a long time before I quit.
I'm not so sure of this. With this version in particular, the AI has become harder to beat and if you truly set everything "to maximum," (and by that, I mean not only options like trading difficulty and scouting accuracy but subtle things like realistically and honestly playing within the bounds of "the fog of war"), I am not so sure that you will consistently be able to dominate the game.

No offense meant by that; it's just a general opinion. You may be become bored by it; we all do, even the most rabid fanboys like me (at the present time). Yet, most of us return to the game after hiatus. Perhaps you will be one of those people.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #102
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I'm not so sure of this. With this version in particular, the AI has become harder to beat and if you truly set everything "to maximum," (and by that, I mean not only options like trading difficulty and scouting accuracy but subtle things like realistically and honestly playing within the bounds of "the fog of war"), I am not so sure that you will consistently be able to dominate the game.

No offense meant by that; it's just a general opinion. You may be become bored by it; we all do, even the most rabid fanboys like me (at the present time). Yet, most of us return to the game after hiatus. Perhaps you will be one of those people.
The 'fog of war' would include making a league with non-real players because you would have no idea what a player can and cannot do until you look at them. Since I have ZERO knowledge of a single living baseball player you could say that mine is already on. But, yes, I'm not suggesting that I will never buy FM again (for instance) - but certainly not until I see something worth going back for.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-09-2013 at 06:54 PM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:55 PM   #103
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 'fog of war' would include making a fantasy league because you would have no idea what a player can and cannot do until you look at them. Since I have ZERO knowledge of a single living baseball player you could say that mine is already on.
Good point. You mean to say that you have no idea who Robinson Cano and Justin Verlander are, just that they are highly rated in the MLB Quickstart?

Yes, playing fictionally (as I do) does add a degree of difficulty, come to think of it. But perhaps not for you so much in that you are unfamiliar with Major League Baseball.

- Bru

Old 11-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #104
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, the skills would be transferable to some extent, I am sure. Well, it looks like you are off to a good start.
I'm SERIOUSLY enjoying it now that I got over the initial fact that it is highly complicated for anyone who has no knowledge of the game. I have to say that losing that last trade due to the crash knocked me back a bit and I've stepped off the plate for now. I just wish I knew who the trade was for even..I didn't write it down or anything and (as I've just said) the names mean nothing to me at this stage. All I know is that it was a good right fielder that completed my lineup. I'm not sure how the autosave is set up but I lost 3 weeks of game time where I had worked hard to make the trade and to play through 3 games for a 3/3 win streak.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-09-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #105
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

By the way, I meant what I said. That was a good trade and probably what would happen in real life if the two teams (Cano, Yankees and Verlander, Tigers) were to actually get it done. The Yankees, after decades of wasteful spending on free agents, are interesting in paring down their payroll these days, so they might just throw in an over-paid Wells with a Cano to get Verlander.

The only thing that could have been a tad unrealistic is throwing in the $3 million but, come to think of it, the Tigers might want/need that money to offset part of Wells' salary. So, OK then.

Now, to be honest, this trade would NOT happen in real life, of course. Yankees fans would tear down Yankee Stadium and the same fate would befall Tiger Stadium.

- Bru

Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM   #106
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm SERIOUSLY enjoying it now that I got over the initial fact that it is highly complicated for anyone who has no knowledge of the game. I have to say that losing that last trade due to the crash knocked me back a bit and I've stepped off the plate for now. I just wish I knew who the trade was for even..I didn't write it down or anything and (as I've just said) the names mean nothing to me at this stage. All I know is that it was a good right fielder that completed my lineup
You posted this while I was typing mine. I was referring to your mega-trade, of course, not this one. Incidentally, I was thinking of asking you, but it's probably too soon, whether your game is running smoothly now. Give some thought to those suggestions I made.

- Bru

Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #107
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yep, The main reason for ditching Cano was in fact the dump on Wells. Any other attempt to trade him resulted in "Sorry but I will not trade for vastly overpaid veterans" and release was just throwing away money. Cano was the 'bait'. Also Verlander is no CC Sabathia but he's no mug either. Incidentally, the 2 minors were half star potential. *edit* one star actually - but I used them targeting areas where it was reported that Detroit had a weakness (i.e. the bullpen).
I'm sorry, did you just say "Verlander is no CC Sabathia" as if Sabathia is better than Verlander? If that's the case, I'd like to know how you can say that because Verlander is better than Sabathia, no question. There's a reason why he won the MVP in 2011. Sabathia used to be an ace. He's not that anymore.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #108
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
I'm sorry, did you just say "Verlander is no CC Sabathia" as if Sabathia is better than Verlander? If that's the case, I'd like to know how you can say that because Verlander is better than Sabathia, no question. There's a reason why he won the MVP in 2011. Sabathia used to be an ace. He's not that anymore.
True, but as he says, he doesn't really know these players very well. He's probably looking at the ratings in the MLB Quickstart (which will need updating in next year's version because what you say about Sabathia is certainly true).

- Bru

Old 11-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #109
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
My post was related to how they are playing in my game. As I've now said on many occasions I have no idea at all about the realities. All I can say is that Verlander is doing okay but Sabathia is pitching regular shutouts.

*edit* @ Bru - Sabathia's star rating is already dropping due to his age. The in-game stats related to pitching show that Verlander is the better player (with his overall stars being higher too). He's just not doing what Sabathia is on the field. (maybe you could put this down to the fact that Sabathia is a long-standing Yankee and Verlander is having trouble "fitting in"). Morale has an effect in OOTP in the same way it does in FM. And players are not often delighted to be traded from where they have lived for a long time.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-09-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #110
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My post was related to how they are playing in my game. As I've now said on many occasions I have no idea at all about the realities. All I can say is that Verlander is doing okay but Sabathia is pitching regular shutouts.

*edit* @ Bru - Sabathias star rating is already dropping due to his age. The in-game stats related to pitching show that Verlander is the better player. He's just not doing what Sabathia is on the field. (maybe you could put this down to the fact that Sabathia is a long-standing Yankee and Verlander is having trouble "fitting in").
Fiction is a bit slow catching up with the truth, then, because what slugga27 says is true, I'm afraid. Sabathia showed his age (and his weight) this season, for sure. On the other hand, he still inspires me in that, if he can pitch with that gut, maybe I still could?
Attached Images

- Bru

Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #111
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

p.s. Jon Lester is actually doing better than either of them right now. He's not getting shutouts or anything that would make you stand up and shout...but he is far more consistent. (again this is in-game)

p.p.s. I'm not sure how much influence your gut would have on your arm or your eyes. I'm pretty sure he can out-pitch hundreds of "fit" and "young" guys still.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-09-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #112
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

I really don't like the way facegen shows black guys. They all look like Indians or Pakistani's to me.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #113
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
p.p.s. I'm not sure how much influence your gut would have on your arm or your eyes. I'm pretty sure he can out-pitch hundreds of "fit" and "young" guys still.
I thought about what I said, later on. He pitched with that bulk throughout his career and was quite successful. It appears he was actually a bit lighter this year - maybe he should gain the weight back?
Quote:
I really don't like the way facegen shows black guys. They all look like Indians or Pakistani's to me.
Cue the "moron" Leo the Lip to say something like, "How would you know, Welshie? How many of them have YOU seen in your lifetime?" Thereby ignoring the likelihood that cities like Swansea and Cardiff have their own significant minorities these days in this increasingly diverse world of ours.

- Bru

Old 11-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #114
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Cardiff have a massive black community. Swansea not so much. Small towns like Neath they really are a minority. And Clydach (where I live at present) I can honestly say I've not seen a single 'black' person in the year I've lived here. Although Asians and Indian/Pakistani people are common everywhere in Britain. One of my best friends is married to a black woman (a bit random but just thought I'd mention it).

*edit* Leo wouldn't call me "Welshie" because according to him the Welsh don't exist. *puts a sheet over his head and makes "ooooooh" noises.."I'm invissssible I don't exissssst". * realises we were just talking about black people and hastily throws the sheet away.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-10-2013 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #115
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cardiff have a massive black community. Swansea not so much. Small towns like Neath they really are a minority. And Clydach (where I live at present) I can honestly say I've not seen a single 'black' person in the year I've lived here. Although Asians and Indian/Pakistani people are common everywhere in Britain. One of my best friends is married to a black woman (a bit random but just thought I'd mention it).

*edit* Leo wouldn't call me "Welshie" because according to him the Welsh don't exist. *puts a sheet over his head and makes "ooooooh" noises.."I'm invissssible I don't exissssst". * realises we were just talking about black people and hastily throws the sheet away.
Yes, I didn't want to get into it back there but if I were you, I would already have that character on my Ignore List. I cannot over-emphasize the usefulness of the Ignore List. I don't have many on mine but the ones who are on there certainly earned the distinction for being Class-A morons. I am tempted to add their names to my forum signature but I am sure the moderators would have a problem with that.

Anyway, back to baseball, and Baseball. Please continue to post your impressions, questions, and comments here. I don't know about the others, but I find this thread to be a unique experience, watching someone from another country, completely new to baseball, as well as Baseball, learn and fall in love with the game.

At least for the time being.

- Bru

Old 11-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #116
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Tbh I'm at a loss as to what more to say at the moment. I still haven't gone back worth talking about since the crash. And have been engaged in a somewhat heated debate over on Wolf's Steam thread. You might find it amusing to read some of the recent comments there. Your name did come up.

I'm in the mood for tactical thinking today though and can't seem to get my fix anywhere...so it's highly likely I'll be playing OOTP.
I appreciate that you enjoy engaging with my comments here. Cheers.

*edit* as for not getting involved in previous argument your position is completely understandable and I suspect he was trolling just to get the thread closed. I just couldn't turn a blind eye.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-10-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 PM   #117
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Bah. It's draft time and I can't find a pen (to record where all the players I want actually go because I'm way down in the picks line).

1 goes to CLE. Indians I hate youuuuu
2 tampax ..I mean Tampa. I hate you MORE
3. ME. YAY!
4. Dodgers
5. Me. But I might fail to sign him
6. Tampa (again)
7. Marlins
8. Me but he's 2 pot and we are starting to scrape the barrel
9. Chicago
10. Tampa (what a surprise)

I got 11. but by this point it's just picking up sticks..the 2 left on my list aren't particularly relevant. I gave up after round 14. Still find it odd that the recommendations tend to be for players that the scout reports say are useless.

Getting pick 3 was a coup...he fills a gap and could easily have been pick 2. pick one will be a star..I'll chase him in trade.

2 questions come to mind. What is "offer a slot?" (on the 40 man?) and wth is magic # on the standings screen? It means nothing to me.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-11-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #118
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Technically this shouldn't work. But it does.
Your right it shouldn't but sometimes does, however it doesn't every time. I came across it years ago in an online league when I just didn't have any starters left so had to use relief pitchers, it's something I don't like doing now and when I'm solo playing it's something I don't use unless it's tied into my storylines.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #119
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 'fog of war' would include making a league with non-real players because you would have no idea what a player can and cannot do until you look at them. Since I have ZERO knowledge of a single living baseball player you could say that mine is already on. But, yes, I'm not suggesting that I will never buy FM again (for instance) - but certainly not until I see something worth going back for.
OOTP actually killed FM for me specially when I got into fictional leagues.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #120
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
OOTP actually killed FM for me specially when I got into fictional leagues.
I just got tired of winning the champions cup and everything else with teams that started out in the 3rd division. And frustrated at the bogus promises to do this and that with the game and then finding out they hadn't really changed anything much.

Pretty funny that Swansea bought in such a lot of talent this season and are doing worse than they did last year. I guess they got distracted by the Cardiff promotion. Personally I think it's moronic that the only decent Welsh sides hate each other.

Football fans are weird anyway..it's almost as if they have to compensate for the lack of on field violence in comparison with rugby so they start it in the stands. You NEVER see rugby fans fight at a match....maybe after in the pub but that's another thing (and usually has nothing to do with teams - just pissed-up individuals). Here in Swansea they call Cardiff "the scum".

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-11-2013 at 03:23 AM.