Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
The_Knuckler
Minors (Single A)

Anyone prefer OSA Scouting over hiring a scout?

Are there any benefits of doing this? I wonder because I notice that most of my players have different ratings under OSA scouting than they do with the scout that I hired. Is OSA more accurate/neutral?
The_Knuckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

It all depends on the ratings of the scout you hired... But generally speaking, I believe OSA has average accuracy across the board. So if you have a scout that is rated higher than average, then that is probably the more accurate information.
Nunyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
The_Knuckler
Minors (Single A)

That's good to know, Nunyer. Thanks. Any other thoughts?
Old 04-25-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

OSA is below average, especially for players within your organization. According to the manual: "Most scouting directors who are available for hire will provide better information than the OSA scouts do. The bottom line is that you should use your own scouting department's information as a primary source of data."

Out of the Park Baseball Manual
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason
Cinnamon J. Scudworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #5
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnamon J. Scudworth View Post
OSA is below average, especially for players within your organization. According to the manual: "Most scouting directors who are available for hire will provide better information than the OSA scouts do. The bottom line is that you should use your own scouting department's information as a primary source of data."

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

I brought this same quote up in another thread when the game first dropped because it's been often said on this board that when you turn scouting OFF you are then seeing the "real" ratings. Well when scouting is off the ratings are being given to you by OSA, correct? So how is it with scouting ON OSA then becomes this unreliable source? Just a little confused is all..
YanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan View Post
I brought this same quote up in another thread when the game first dropped because it's been often said on this board that when you turn scouting OFF you are then seeing the "real" ratings. Well when scouting is off the ratings are being given to you by OSA, correct? So how is it with scouting ON OSA then becomes this unreliable source? Just a little confused is all..
No, when scouting is off the ratings are the actual ratings. When scouting is on you get OSA ratings and your scout's ratings.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
No, when scouting is off the ratings are the actual ratings. When scouting is on you get OSA ratings and your scout's ratings.

I just went into my game and turned scouting off. Clicked on a player and the ratings/scouting report is done by OSA.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
I just went into my game and turned scouting off. Clicked on a player and the ratings/scouting report is done by OSA.
Again, from the manual:

Quote:
Playing with Scouting Off

Scouting in OOTP is optional. You can off scouting during the game creation process in the Game Options. After a game has been started, you can turn off scouting by navigating to OOTP Menu >> Game Setup >> Global Setup tab. If scouting is disabled, you will not have a scouting director or a scouting budget. However, OSA will still provide scouting reports on players. Player ratings shown on lists of players will be the actual ratings for all players. Additionally, the various scouting action menus and drop-downs will no longer be available.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Again, from the manual:
Which brings me back to my original question. Why is it with scouting ON OSA is unreliable but with it OFF OSA becomes accurate? This is an answer you may not have but this definitely seems to contrdict itself
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Quote:
Which brings me back to my original question. Why is it with scouting ON OSA is unreliable but with it OFF OSA becomes accurate? This is an answer you may not have but this definitely seems to contrdict itself
Because with scouting on OSA is given a "fog of war", for lack of a better term, to work as a counterpoint to your scouts (so you have to decide who is right) and when scouting is turned off that veil is removed and the true ratings are given. Really not that hard to comprehend.
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

When scouting is off, the ratings are simply derived from the game itself without any filter or interpretation that a scout would otherwise provide. These are the true ratings, which OSA then creates scouting reports based upon.

edit - or what DCG12 said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Well ... To be fair, I am going to change the name to "DanSim Baseball"

- Shaun
Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #12
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
Because with scouting on OSA is given a "fog of war", for lack of a better term, to work as a counterpoint to your scouts (so you have to decide who is right) and when scouting is turned off that veil is removed and the true ratings are given. Really not that hard to comprehend.
You're previous answer was not as detailed as this one if you go back and look. Just because YOU already understood how this works doesn't mean someone else automatically does as well. OSA working under the same fog of war as i am helps clear it up a bit. Something neither the manual or YOU mentioned before. But thanks anyway genius.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #13
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Quote:
You're previous answer was not as detailed as this one if you go back and look. Just because YOU already understood how this works doesn't mean someone else automatically does as well. OSA working under the same fog of war as i am helps clear it up a bit. Something neither the manual or YOU mentioned before. But thanks anyway genius.
Speaking of being a genius maybe you should learn to read so you could see that I never responded to you previously. So I don't know how you think my previous answer was unclear as I never gave a previous answer. But thanks for playing.

If you're going to let a simple "Really not all that hard to comprehend" send you into a hissy fit the internet is going to be a tough place for you. I'll remember not to be so rough on you next time.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #14
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Speaking of being a genius maybe you should learn to read so you could see that I never responded to you previously. So I don't know how you think my previous answer was unclear as I never gave a previous answer. But thanks for playing.

If you're going to let a simple "Really not all that hard to comprehend" send you into a hissy fit the internet is going to be a tough place for you. I'll remember not to be so rough on you next time.
I'm not in a hissy fit i just find it funny that when someone doesn't quite understand something and asks a question its always one in the crowd who has to be condenscending, etc. It's not just with me, i see it all the time. " Really not that hard to comprehend" was "Really not necessary". You're explanantion was enough in itself for which i would have returned a simple thank you. I read posts all the time of things that i clearly understand but someone else quite doesn't and i fail to see the purpose of me taking that opportunity to chime in with some smart ass comment. If everyone already knew everything there would be no purpose for the forums
Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #15
DCG12
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm not in a hissy fit i just find it funny that when someone doesn't quite understand something and asks a question its always one in the crowd who has to be condenscending, etc. It's not just with me, i see it all the time. " Really not that hard to comprehend" was "Really not necessary". You're explanantion was enough in itself for which i would have returned a simple thank you. I read posts all the time of things that i clearly understand but someone else quite doesn't and i fail to see the purpose of me taking that opportunity to chime in with some smart ass comment. If everyone already knew everything there would be no purpose for the forums

Cinnamon Scudworth answered the question three times and each time you came back with a semi-arguement even though he was explaining it pretty clearly. Hence my comprehend comment.

I am usually very helpful when I can be but I don't have a ton of patience when it appears that someone is being difficult just to be difficult. Take the whole thread in context and I don't think it was a smart-ass comment. But either way I am done talking about it.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Cinnamon Scudworth answered the question three times and each time you came back with a semi-arguement even though he was explaining it pretty clearly. Hence my comprehend comment.

I am usually very helpful when I can be but I don't have a ton of patience when it appears that someone is being difficult just to be difficult. Take the whole thread in context and I don't think it was a smart-ass comment. But either way I am done talking about it.

In YOUR opinion he explained it clearly. All he did was re-hash what the manual said which i had already read. I wasn't being difficult. If you re-read my question i was simply saying the manual contradicts itself by the way it is worded. The manual said nothing about OSA operating under the same fog of war that i was. Simple clarity is all i wanted so i could better understand but because you formed your own opinion on WHY i was asking then as u say HENCE your comment. I could care less about your patience because i wasn't even addressing you ...you jumped in.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #17
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

And I appreciate the follow-up because, frankly, I've never played with scouting off, so it's interesting to see how the ratings get portrayed. I didn't know they would be portrayed as "OSA" ratings. So I understand the confusion.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
The_Knuckler
Minors (Single A)

I think the insights shared on this thread make perfect sense. Having Scouting ON definitely adds a challenge to the game, because you have to rely on your scout to make good decisions rather than having pure ratings available for you to use. I just recently learned the difference between scouts that "Favor Tools" and scouts that "Favor Ability". That definitely helps the general manager out, depending on what kind of budget they are working with or how they want to build the team (through the draft OR by picking up players based on their current abilities).

I'm actually not a huge baseball fan, but the sports management aspects of this game are excellent. Can't wait for the hockey sim to come out!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #19
SR000
Minors (Single A)

I think the point is that the ratings are actual but the written reports are OSA
SR000 is offline   Reply With Quote