Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: Technical Support Do you have a copy of OOTP Baseball 2006? Are you in need of help and assistance in running the game or do you have errors that you need help in resolving? This is your place!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

BZ 3618: OOTP incompatibility (Windows version)

I noticed that the Windows version of OOTP would run on some Vista machines and not on others, generating APPCRASH messages (I already reported this). Messing around with Windows 7, I discovered the same thing, and found what appears to be the cause: OOTP X appears to be incompatible with ZoneAlarm Extreme Security. Replace it with a Symantec program and make no other changes and the game then runs fine.

Maybe it's a settings issue, but I couldn't get the two to work together.

Go figure.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

I run ZoneAlarm (not Extreme, just the Internet Security antivirus and firewall) on my XP system. It slows down a lot, but does not crash (I think it is just lack of RAM). I usually turn it off just because it annoys me, but I can run them both.

FWIW.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

It only happens with Extreme. No clue why.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #4
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Interesting stuff, MD - I was trying to find what an issue was with another owner of the game and found the particular error he was getting was often associated with AV conflicts despite what the error message would normally indicate (not just with OOTP, by the way). Many who experienced it were often able to run whatever program they were using by uninstalling their AV. I'd really hoped major AV developers had finally broken past the "uninstall your AV before you start your game" stage of compatibility, but I suppose they're really not all up to snuff when it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Well ... To be fair, I am going to change the name to "DanSim Baseball"

- Shaun
Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

It wasn't just at OOTP X installation.

If ZES is *installed* - not running, just installed - OOTP X won't run. Uninstall it, with no OOTP X reinstall, and OOTP X runs.

Go figure.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Alan T
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei View Post
It wasn't just at OOTP X installation.

If ZES is *installed* - not running, just installed - OOTP X won't run. Uninstall it, with no OOTP X reinstall, and OOTP X runs.

Go figure.
I am not as familiar with the Zone Alarm products these days (I last did much with them about 6 years ago or so and am more familiar with Checkpoint's network level security firewall products). That said, ZES combines antivirus with a personal firewall with an OS Shield type of application that helps prevent applications from making changes to the OS (Such as Windows Defender or WinPatrol does).

My guess is that having ZES on the computer is detecting something in the OOTP install that it does not like and is blocking causing OOTP to perhaps not even install correctly.

That is based only on what you have posted here however, so is just a guess. I do not know if there are any logs that ZES keeps of what it actively blocks but if it does, you might check those logs out.

Otherwise I fear that I don't have a ton of help to offer other than perhaps Checkpoint or their user forum could provide some help with ZES blocking this application? Usually on these type of applications, it should prompt you when it is blocking something, I do not know if ZES does as well or if you might not have it set to notify you or what though beyond that I fear.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

I must not have been clear. OOTP installs with ZES already installed, and then appcrashes until such time as ZES is removed, at which point it loads and runs normally without any new OOTP install being required.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

OOTP X will not work with ZES installed, but it will run with the free ZoneAlarm firewall installed.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
Old Stubblebeard
Bat Boy

I have been running OOTPX along with Zone Alarm Security Suite without problems since X came out. I downloaded an update to ZA two days ago and now cannot get OOTPX to run at all. Any suggestions?

MLBC Detroit Tigers 1940, 1952, 1953 & 1955 Champs
Old Stubblebeard is offline   Reply With Quote