Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 6 > FHM 6 - General Discussion

FHM 6 - General Discussion Talk about the latest & greatest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-04-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
JJ Lehto
Minors (Single A)

One season wonders?

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to code in an ability for a player to be an one season wonder (players like Jacques Richard and Mario Lessard)? Working like Variable Potential, which is in the game, some players would be marked so that they could have a season long boost to their abilities, for whatever reason. A rare occurence sure, but nice to have if it was doable. Just a thought.
JJ Lehto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
DrunkenTeddy
Major Leagues

A really low aging attribute may work, if it's really low they could regress quite early, but I'm not sure you can really set them to only be good one season
DrunkenTeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
JeffR
FHM Producer

If you play historical mode with annual recalculation on, it does do something like that. But in general, I'd rather have those one-off seasons happen organically, maybe with a little assistance from things like random storylines.

Richard was actually a great prospect who had just about turned into a complete bust when he found himself in the perfect situation, getting lots of time in an offensive role with teammates that complimented him well. That sort of thing can definitely happen in the game.

Lessard would be a good example of the kind of thing I'd like to do with a random event: he had three good seasons, but, if I remember right, somebody eventually noticed a flaw in his style that could be exploited, word got around the league, he couldn't fix it, and he was out of hockey within a couple of years.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:51 AM   #4
JT_Dutch
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Lessard would be a good example of the kind of thing I'd like to do with a random event: he had three good seasons, but, if I remember right, somebody eventually noticed a flaw in his style that could be exploited, word got around the league, he couldn't fix it, and he was out of hockey within a couple of years.
Don't mean to derail the thread or anything but I'd never heard that about Lessard's downfall before ... very interesting. And he had two good seasons, '78-79 and '80-81. Wasn't very good in '79-80, and was quite terrible in '81-82 (although he had some very good moments in the '82 playoffs).
JT_Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:06 AM   #5
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Dutch View Post
Don't mean to derail the thread or anything but I'd never heard that about Lessard's downfall before ... very interesting. And he had two good seasons, '78-79 and '80-81. Wasn't very good in '79-80, and was quite terrible in '81-82 (although he had some very good moments in the '82 playoffs).
I don't think it is. There's lots of random guys who showed up and played important roles for a time period before disappearing again. My go-to one is Lonny Bohonos. Basically pushed the Leafs way further in the playoffs, but didn't really show up otherwise.

That being said, I think Jeff makes a good point, but I know how frustrating it would be if you have multiple of those guys show up in multiple years.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 AM   #6
#4BobbyOrr
Minors (Double A)

I’ve definitely had one season wonders. 3-3.5 star guys who win an Art Ross, usually carried by an elite linemate who they happen to get more points than but occasionally they win it by themselves without much help.

They never win the Hart though. Seems the Hart is reserved for 4.5-5* players with high average game ratings.
#4BobbyOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
JJ Lehto
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_Dutch View Post
Indeed, checked Lessard's stats, and he had a good rookie year, average second season, and all-star third season. Then he became bad. In his case, low aging value could work well enough. Not a one season wonder.
JJ Lehto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

in my latest replay...I'm 40+ seasons in, plenty of players with the career arc of Lessard and I don't use recalculate. Generally it's an okay player who benefits playing with a very strong team and comes back to earth sooner than later.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote