Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #41
spitfire
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Looks like someone's channelling Yogi Berra...
Cool! What channel is Yogi on?????
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:14 AM   #42
zekester91
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
Players on DL must now come off DL when they are healthy and DL time is served (non-online leagues only)

Hope this is an option as there are many reasons to leave a player on the DL. Especally late in the season or playoffs....

The road was closed while the Hartford Police Department's bomb squad came and blew up the chicken.
zekester91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #43
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester91 View Post
Hope this is an option as there are many reasons to leave a player on the DL. Especally late in the season or playoffs....
Yeah. Frankly, this would be done much better by affecting the player's mood than by a rule.

MLB DL's have their rules, but this isn't one that can be enforced outside a video game, where "Injured" is either "TRUE" or "FALSE".
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #44
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
I read that as "wench".

Made it even funnier.
True story from the seventies:

Back in the day I was out in the field with a team and we got a vehicle stuck in some ridiculous mud. We didn't have a winch, so I sent one of the guys into a nearby town to see if he could buy one, which he did, and we got the vehicle out. He then made the long drive back to HQ and eventually he turned in his handwritten gas station receipt, which read "wench, $75." Upon seeing it the people at HQ went ballistic, with one of them shouting "I knew those [deleted] were doing that, but I never thought they'd turn in a [deleted] voucher for it!"

At which point I drove up with the actual winch and ruined everything.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #45
Dan Theman
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Yeah. Frankly, this would be done much better by affecting the player's mood than by a rule.

MLB DL's have their rules, but this isn't one that can be enforced outside a video game, where "Injured" is either "TRUE" or "FALSE".
Little bit of almost useless trivia - team doctors are actually required to submit medical reports to the league offices, updating the status of the injured (or formerly injured) players. Filing a false medical report can be all kinds of illegal not to mention against the rules. That said, the primary reason teams tend to stick by the letter of the law is to avoid grievance filings from the players union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Sullivan
Well ... To be fair, I am going to change the name to "DanSim Baseball"

- Shaun
Dan Theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM   #46
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Will be interested to see what LGO has to say with regard to real life DL rules.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #47
jtb
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei View Post

Back in the day I was out in the field with a team and we got a vehicle stuck in some ridiculous mud. We didn't have a winch, so I sent one of the guys into a nearby town to see if he could buy one, which he did, and we got the vehicle out. He then made the long drive back to HQ and eventually he turned in his handwritten gas station receipt, which read "wench, $75." Upon seeing it the people at HQ went ballistic, with one of them shouting "I knew those [deleted] were doing that, but I never thought they'd turn in a [deleted] voucher for it!"

Awesome!
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM   #48
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Will be interested to see what LGO has to say with regard to real life DL rules.
I don't have much to add, really. I do not think there's any specific requirement in the rules mandating a player on the DL be reinstated once healthy, though as Dan pointed out, for practical reasons clubs are unlikely to do this.

You can find cases of players, especially in the minor leagues, being on the short-term DL for quite some time. But this is usually due to a lingering injury and the club not wanting to move the player to the 60-day DL.

For OOTP purposes the question is what defines when a player is considered healthy and fully recovered from the injury.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #49
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Theman View Post
Little bit of almost useless trivia - team doctors are actually required to submit medical reports to the league offices, updating the status of the injured (or formerly injured) players. Filing a false medical report can be all kinds of illegal not to mention against the rules. That said, the primary reason teams tend to stick by the letter of the law is to avoid grievance filings from the players union.
I've seen the forms are printed in the CBA.

But, I don't think you need to worry about filing a false report.

These guys are professional athletes and have been playing for 10, 20, 30+ years. There's so much wear and tear on their bodies that I'm sure that the most reputable doctors would have no problems finding real injuries that could be used to DL a player for virtually anyone in pro ball.

That's why I mention that it comes down to player personalities; it's really the player that's going to push for the second opinion that says he can or cannot play, not the league mandating that the player come off the DL on a certain day. Theoretically, the latter could happen. But in reality, I think any disputes of "I need to come off the DL" are always played out between the team and player.

They may be out there, but I honestly can not think of a time that I've ever heard the league, on its own, mandating a player come off the DL. And even if there was, I doubt that would bring the percentage of league-initiated activations above a negligible percentage.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #50
TNCubsFan
Major Leagues

Look at the guys who come off the DL on September 1st. Alot of them are out of options guys that a team wants to keep. "You have a hamstring injury on May 27th. Unless something happens you will be on the DL till September. We will pay you your salary and stipends." I dont see a player filing a grievance in those cases.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #51
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei View Post

I love it when a plan comes together... (lights cigar)
LeiterFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #52
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCubsFan View Post
Look at the guys who come off the DL on September 1st. Alot of them are out of options guys that a team wants to keep. "You have a hamstring injury on May 27th. Unless something happens you will be on the DL till September. We will pay you your salary and stipends." I dont see a player filing a grievance in those cases.
I don't know, I think most professional players want to play, to be in the lineup as often as possible, and not sitting on the bench (or DL) doing nothing.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #53
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't know, I think most professional players want to play, to be in the lineup as often as possible, and not sitting on the bench (or DL) doing nothing.
Right, I agree. They might make out in the short term, but sitting on the bench doesn't win you any spots on other teams or get you a new contract.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #54
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not necessarily doing nothing. Jose Reyes, for instance, has been rehabbing and reinjuring himself regularly since going on the DL.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #55
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's not necessarily doing nothing. Jose Reyes, for instance, has been rehabbing and reinjuring himself regularly since going on the DL.
Sure, but that's not the situation to which TNCubsFan was referring.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:23 PM   #56
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sure, but that's not the situation to which TNCubsFan was referring.
True. His situation does illustrate why this would be good to implement via player personalities, not via the game stopping and demanding you are taken off the DL, however.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #57
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
True. His situation does illustrate why this would be good to implement via player personalities, not via the game stopping and demanding you are taken off the DL, however.
Maybe so. Though it's probably easier to implement a hard limit on recovered DL time than to add a lot of situations revolving around personalities and such.

Personally, I think I'd give the GM a one week window in which to reinstate a recovered player from the DL. That is, once the message comes in that the player is considered healthy enough to return to active service, you get a one week window in which to make the reinstatement. This allows the club a little bit of leeway in terms of timing the move with other roster moves that would have to be made.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM   #58
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe so. Though it's probably easier to implement a hard limit on recovered DL time than to add a lot of situations revolving around personalities and such.

Personally, I think I'd give the GM a one week window in which to reinstate a recovered player from the DL. That is, once the message comes in that the player is considered healthy enough to return to active service, you get a one week window in which to make the reinstatement. This allows the club a little bit of leeway in terms of timing the move with other roster moves that would have to be made.
The game already knows how to boost or demerit player satisfaction for a number of things.

How hard could it be to use that existing framework to subtract -300 from the Role on Team each day that the player is left on the DL after becoming un-injured? At this point, it's so in-synch with what OOTP already does, it hardly counts as coding new functionality.

That way, you also have a built-in "turn it off" if you turn off the Morale system.

Last edited by BMW; 10-14-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:44 PM   #59
Solonor
Hall Of Famer

No one's convinced me that mood or any of the other nebulous attributes like "leadership" or "desire for winner" make any measurable difference. So, having the player pout about being on the DL too long isn't going to matter.

I'm just glad it doesn't apply to online leagues.

"Beings will come, Frodo. The one constant through all the years has been baseball. Middle Earth has rolled by like an army of Mumakil. It has been erased like a slate, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Frodo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... beings will come Frodo. Beings will most definitely come." - Gladden Field of Dreams
Solonor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #60
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solonor View Post
No one's convinced me that mood or any of the other nebulous attributes like "leadership" or "desire for winner" make any measurable difference. So, having the player pout about being on the DL too long isn't going to matter.

I'm just glad it doesn't apply to online leagues.
Doesn't it inhibit the ability to do some key things, like signing players to contract extensions?

Even if the Morale doesn't do anything tangible or seem to do anything tangible, I still maintain that the DL activation issue should be addressed there. If it's the case that Morale does too little, that's a problem with the Morale system, not the components that feed the Morale ratings.

Last edited by BMW; 10-14-2009 at 02:55 PM.