Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Smoothie7745
Minors (Double A)

General Stadium Question for Yanks fans

I'm kinda shocked about Yankee stadium being shut down in a couple years...I mean, it's the High Cathedral of baseball...the most recognizable venue in all of sports. But then, I live in Houston and know firsthand how good HOK Sports really is when it comes to Nostalgic Stadium designs...so I'm torn. How do all you REAL Yankee fans out there feel about the proposed new stadium?
RIP, VSL (Houston Astros)
RIP, FBBL (original Oakland A's GM)

Please visit my website:
JasonMarbach.com

And the myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/jasonmarbach

R.I.P. D. K. #57
Smoothie7745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:00 AM   #2
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I'm against it. Its Yankee Stadium for Christ's sake. If it must be replaced, it DAMN sure shouldnt be torn down.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 AM   #3
MrWorkrate
All Star Starter

I haven't really looked at the new stadium plans, but realisticly all things have to come to an end sometime. I didn't expect Yankee Stadium to just get refurbished every 20 years so that the stadium could live on for 150 years or anything like that.

The fact that they're still keeping it in the Bronx (which was rumored to not be the case in the past) is a good thing. While I love the Stadium, it's really not set up well for parking and outside surroundings. People who've never been to the Stadium might be a bit concerned the first time they visit - it's still a Bronx neighborhood (although I admittedly haven't visited in several years).

I feel confident that Steinbrenner, as much as we can knock the guy, has a strong feel for tradition. He'd want to keep the "old" Yankee Stadium alive as much as possible, and possibly incorporate the pre-70s Stadium in it as well.

I'd be concerned if it were someone else behind it proposing some retractible roof Yankeedome, but I have faith in Steonbrenner, and with what little I've read about it, it seems to be the best thing they could do.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

I wish to God we could get a new stadium in Boston.
Luis_Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Rivera
I wish to God we could get a new stadium in Boston.
No way. You guys are stuck with Fenway forever.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastric ReFlux
No way. You guys are stuck with Fenway forever.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. At least that's how it looks with JWH & Co trickin the friggin place out.

Not that it's a bad thing that they're doing, it just shows that there's probably not much of a chance of getting through the bull**** red tape in the near future.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. At least that's how it looks with JWH & Co trickin the friggin place out.

Not that it's a bad thing that they're doing, it just shows that there's probably not much of a chance of getting through the bull**** red tape in the near future.
Also, you're at least 10 times the landmark the Vet was in Philadelphia, and you should have seen the resistance to keep the Vet just for nostalgia.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:42 AM   #8
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Also, you're at least 10 times the landmark the Vet was in Philadelphia, and you should have seen the resistance to keep the Vet just for nostalgia.
Yea, it's a beautiful field, but the nostalgia takes a big hit if you get stuck behind a support beam or sit in the seats down the 1B line that face the OF so you have to crane your neck to look at home plate.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
draven085
Hall Of Famer

Upon completion of the new park the old Yankee Stadium should be airlifted to Baghdad so the Iraqis can see what real freedom is all about.
draven085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yea, it's a beautiful field, but the nostalgia takes a big hit if you get stuck behind a support beam or sit in the seats down the 1B line that face the OF so you have to crane your neck to look at home plate.
That explain why you guys are blue state fubes who look to the left politically.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That explain why you guys are blue state fubes who look to the left politically.
Ha... I guess I couldn't counter that with anything about the 1B line because I've never sat in the OF section down that way, so I don't know if you have the same issue down there.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:08 AM   #12
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

I need to see the plans for the new stadium to give my comment here. I do like the idea of a new stadium, but would hate to see the old one torn down. Way too much history there. Hopefully, they could preserve it as a museum or for playing special baseball games (maybe even allow NY little league teams to play some tournament games or something similar). I doubt that would happen, but a guy can dream right?

Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.
CommishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:38 PM   #13
Smoothie7745
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommishJoe
I need to see the plans for the new stadium to give my comment here. I do like the idea of a new stadium, but would hate to see the old one torn down. Way too much history there. Hopefully, they could preserve it as a museum or for playing special baseball games (maybe even allow NY little league teams to play some tournament games or something similar). I doubt that would happen, but a guy can dream right?
Actually, there's talk of LEAVING the field there for amateur teams to play on! How freaking sweet is that?!

Please visit my website:
JasonMarbach.com

And the myspace:

R.I.P. D. K. #57
Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #14
Pete Grassi
Major Leagues

The old field will remain where it is with the lower bowl seating remaining. The mezzaine level and upper deck will be torn down along with most of the exterior.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-273178c.html

As a life long NY'er and Yankee fan, I knew this day would come eventually. I have alot of mixed emotions about it, but everything needs to move on with time. Its not like they are going to build a parking lot on the grounds of the old stadium so it could be much worse.

The plans look great with the exterior being built in the form of the original Yankee Stadium which is a great idea. Fewer seats will stink but the sightlines are supposed to be much improved with no real obstructed view seating.

And the biggest perk is the Yanks get to write off the cost of building the stadium against and revenue sharing they may have to pay. The Evil Empire strikes again!! I love it!!

Last edited by Pete Grassi; 06-16-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Pete Grassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:45 PM   #15
Smoothie7745
Minors (Double A)

And it's a good point about revitalizing the Bronx...when the Astros moved to Union Station (which used to be a train station from 1911-1974) in late 1997, the whole part of downtown, the oldest part of downtown, was the wherehouse district. We had mafia, gang, and homeless activity down there like you wouldn't believe. It was about the saddest and most dangerous place in Texas to go. Which is saying something, believe it or not...San Antonio and Dallas are no picnics. Anyways, they built Enron Field around the train station and with a nostalgic, throw-back theme...and businesses started coming back, the crime went away, and that part of downtown is slowly but surely becoming a beautiful place to be again...our very own Renaissance, if you will (even though I can't spell...though I know there's a double letter in there somewhere...). So I think it'll do the exact same thing for the Bronx, which honestly, after spending some time there, it could use. One thing that concerns me is that the current demographic of tenant and business owner there might be driven out by rising property prices and such...I mean, as the area gets nicer, the prices get higher, you know?

And yeah, Fenway is here to stay. It better be. I've never felt the way I did watching a baseball game as I did in Fenway. Absolutely amazing...ten times better than Yankee stadium, imo.

Please visit my website:
JasonMarbach.com

And the myspace:

R.I.P. D. K. #57
Old 06-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
Smoothie7745
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grassi
And the biggest perk is the Yanks get to write off the cost of building the stadium against and revenue sharing they may have to pay. The Evil Empire strikes again!! I love it!!

Ridiculous.

Please visit my website:
JasonMarbach.com

And the myspace:

R.I.P. D. K. #57
Old 06-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #17
Pete Grassi
Major Leagues

Blame MLB for that one smoothie, they collectively bargained it.
Pete Grassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #18
TotalEnd98
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothie7745

Ridiculous.
Nope. Not at all. Every other team in baseball that's built a new stadium under these rules has exploited the loophole. The Yanks will make out like bandits, though, because they're the first team to be putting $800M toward a stadium.

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

TotalEnd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:09 PM   #19
Smoothie7745
Minors (Double A)

I didn't say it was ridiculous that the Yanks are doing it, I said it's ridiculous...as in, that ANYone is doing it. But to the tune of 800 Mil makes me want to somebody.

And what other teams have abused the loophole...St. Louis?

Please visit my website:
JasonMarbach.com

And the myspace:

R.I.P. D. K. #57
Old 06-16-2005, 05:22 PM   #20
Johnny99
Minors (Triple A)

The new stadium will not revitalize the Bronx. Its across the street from the old one. Totally different situation from Houston. Its not a nice area now and even with a brand spankin' new stadium, its not going to be a nice area then.
Johnny99 is offline   Reply With Quote