Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM   #1
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Significance of the 1-100 rating system...

Hi Guys,

I come from a Strat-O-Matic background where lefty/ righty splits present themselves on the advanced side of the batter/ pitcher cards...

I can instantly view and judge, for instance, that 1964 Johnny Callison is a much better hitter vs. lefty pitchers, than the Cardinals, Bill White.

In OOTP I'm using the real life batter splits in my '64 replay... I'm struggling to interpolate and process the significance of White's OOTP numbers vs. Callison's numbers and how they translate...

I'm using the 1-100 rating system, BTW.

I'm just confused by the numbers. White's & Callison's RL 1964 stat numbers are as follows:

White vs. LHP: .219 AVE; .266 OBA; .307 SLG; .573 OPS
Callison vs. LHP: .280 AVE; .326 OBA; .492 SLG; 818 OPS

Here are the OOTP rating split numbers vs. a LHP:

White: 54 CON; 56 GAP; 48 POW; 37 EYE; 44 AVOID K'S
Callison: 62 CON; 52 GAP; 73 POW; 37 EYE; 62 AVOID K'S

Is there a simple way to look at the OOTP ratings and draw a rough comparision between 2 players?

Looking at real life L/R splits it's easy to see the difference.

For me, anyway, if I view the OOTP ratings, I can see that Callison is a better hitter vs. lefties, but I don't see that he's a much better hitter than White vs. LHP.

I've only been playing the game for the past 6 months, so perhaps things will start to add up after awhile...

Any help or thoughts are appreciated!

Jack
32koufax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:49 PM   #2
cavebutter
All Star Starter

The best way to think about ratings is that they are a scout's evaluation of these players' specific skills. Each of those skills, when employed by the player, contribute to producing a result set of statistics.

Keep in mind that there is uncertainty built in to those ratings (by design!): a scout's evaluation may not be very accurate - but it represents one person's opinion of a player's skills at a point in time. This is all that real life GM's have to go on. That, and previous years' stats.

This is somewhat different from Strat-o-Matic (so I understand) where a statistical result set is what drives in-game outcomes. In OOTP, a large number of factors determine the in-game outcomes. Among them are the TRUE ratings for each of the players' skills.

I hope that clarifies rather than muddies the waters even more...

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

splits don't guarantee results in practice... only over an infinite sample of locked factors it does.

so, ootp make sthe splits based on stats from real life. there is a real difference. some will display accurately through 1 seasons results, some will not... what is guarnateed is the probability each time they step up to the plate based on their ratings and all other relevant factors that go into the calculation in the 1 context/PA. so, if they are better vs L or better vs R it is a real split... odds over time will bear that out.

just as in RL.. .you can find a guy with a ~normal or even ~severe split for his career.. .however, you can also find individual years where this split was ~even or opposite of what you'd expect... simply a small sample result.

now, if the trend changes from first half to second half of career you could probably attriubte that to some adjustment or improvement in the player over time.. these types of things are always possible, butjust another layer of the onion to peel back.

if the ratings show a split, it's just like strat-o-matic -- as long as stratomatice was a calculation based on probability and not some pre-determined split-result each and every time. if it allowed probability to do its thing, it is the exact same process as ootp...

the difference would be the method of how that split was determined e.g. mantly may have a different split in ootp than in strat-o-matic. But, once the ratings are choosen and a split in those ratings results, that affects probability of success in an absolute way even if ~100-200ab says differently..

law of independent results.

this ignored roundingn errors and scouting accuracy... that's common sense to apply how that would affect what you see. if in doubt, turn on comissioner mode and you can see the real ratings 100% accuracy.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-26-2018 at 04:47 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
splits don't guarantee results in practice... only over an infinite sample of locked factors it does.

so, ootp make sthe splits based on stats from real life. there is a real difference. some will display accurately through 1 seasons results, some will not... what is guarnateed is the probability each time they step up to the plate based on their ratings and all other relevant factors that go into the calculation in the 1 context/PA. so, if they are better vs L or better vs R it is a real split... odds over time will bear that out.

just as in RL.. .you can find a guy with a ~normal or even ~severe split for his career.. .however, you can also find individual years where this split was ~even or opposite of what you'd expect... simply a small sample result.

now, if the trend changes from first half to second half of career you could probably attriubte that to some adjustment or improvement in the player over time.. these types of things are always possible, butjust another layer of the onion to peel back.

if the ratings show a split, it's just like strat-o-matic -- as long as stratomatice was a calculation based on probability and not some pre-determined split-result each and every time. if it allowed probability to do its thing, it is the exact same process as ootp...

the difference would be the method of how that split was determined e.g. mantly may have a different split in ootp than in strat-o-matic. But, once the ratings are choosen and a split in those ratings results, that affects probability of success in an absolute way even if ~100-200ab says differently..

law of independent results.

this ignored roundingn errors and scouting accuracy... that's common sense to apply how that would affect what you see. if in doubt, turn on comissioner mode and you can see the real ratings 100% accuracy.
I do play single season historical replays w/ commish mode turned on. Thx for explanation!!!
Jack
Old 04-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #5
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
The best way to think about ratings is that they are a scout's evaluation of these players' specific skills. Each of those skills, when employed by the player, contribute to producing a result set of statistics.

Keep in mind that there is uncertainty built in to those ratings (by design!): a scout's evaluation may not be very accurate - but it represents one person's opinion of a player's skills at a point in time. This is all that real life GM's have to go on. That, and previous years' stats.

This is somewhat different from Strat-o-Matic (so I understand) where a statistical result set is what drives in-game outcomes. In OOTP, a large number of factors determine the in-game outcomes. Among them are the TRUE ratings for each of the players' skills.

I hope that clarifies rather than muddies the waters even more...
It makes sense. I'm pretty amazed at the accuracy of my single season replays. Fun factor w/ 3d and sooo many other features is why I made the leap from Strat to OOTP! Thx!

Jack
Old 04-26-2018, 10:10 PM   #6
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

bill white was a huckleberry.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32koufax View Post
For me, anyway, if I view the OOTP ratings, I can see that Callison is a better hitter vs. lefties, but I don't see that he's a much better hitter than White vs. LHP.

Callison makes significantly better contact, including fewer strikeouts, with a massive difference in power. Callison's ratings look much better to me. I am not sure what you expected to see.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
Timofmars
Minors (Triple A)

You can turn on commissioner mode and then click on the editor page in a player's profile and then play around with the player's ratings and it will tell you the estimated batting average, hits, and everything you could expect against a neutral league average pitcher. You probably shouldn't do this on your main game because there is no undo button or anything, so you'd have to enter the original information back exactly to avoid altering things.

Contact directly translates to batting average. White should definitely do better on average than what is in the stats you show for that. Also, from my testing using the editor, I think Callison should get almost twice as many HRs as white, since it seems power above 50 counts for double the effect.

I write a post about this here.
Timofmars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:36 AM   #9
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Callison makes significantly better contact, including fewer strikeouts, with a massive difference in power. Callison's ratings look much better to me. I am not sure what you expected to see.
I do see the difference. As I mentioned, I'm soooo used to seeing real life numbers with "board game" style games such as Strat, Replay, Digital Diamond... Different mindset for me, I suppose, in viewing OOTP ratings. Not complaining, mind you. OOTP game engine is superb!!

Quick question for everyone... Since I play ONLY SINGLE SEASON replays, does it make a difference if I change ratings from 1-100 to 1-10? Never really understood why the multiple option for different ratings...
THX!

jack
Old 04-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The ratings scale options are there to provide more or less granularity. Try 20-80 if you really want to leave your comfort zone. The explanation of the scale is in the manual.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
ry1220
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebutter View Post
The smaller than expected gap that you, OP, are seeing between the two players could be a result of your scout's ability -- or inability rather. If you would like to remove the "Fog of War" for a more Strat-like experience, you can always turn Scouting Accuracy up or even to 100% Accuracy in the game settings.
ry1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
32koufax
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry1220 View Post
The smaller than expected gap that you, OP, are seeing between the two players could be a result of your scout's ability -- or inability rather. If you would like to remove the "Fog of War" for a more Strat-like experience, you can always turn Scouting Accuracy up or even to 100% Accuracy in the game settings.
Thanks so much for this suggestion!!!!!
Jack
Old 04-27-2018, 04:20 PM   #13
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskelly View Post
bill white was a huckleberry.
The Scooter. Some of us remember. Thanks. Miss him talking to Bobby Murcer, wbom he always called Bobby Murcer.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:24 AM   #14
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
The Scooter. Some of us remember. Thanks. Miss him talking to Bobby Murcer, whom he always called Bobby Murcer.
That scamp...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote