Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 03-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
rakosnik
Bat Boy

Trading for Prospects

I'm having a lot of difficulty trading for prospects.

I'm starting with the current rosters and I've got trade difficulty set to very hard and trading preference set to neutral.

I realize that prospects are valuable. I realize that their low salaries make them especially valuable, but if I want to get a decent prospect I'm having to give up more than one prospect each one of which is much better than the one prospect I am trading for. I moved trading difficulty to very hard because I want a challenage, but with what I'm experiencing making a trade of dealing from a position of strength in my minor league system for a position of weakness in my minor league system doesn't seem possible.

Is there some trick to trading for prospects that using? I have made several trades for major leaguers, but minor league prospects and major leaguers with minimum salaries seem almost impossible to acquire.
rakosnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

First off, everyone has wildly different preferences when it comes to trade difficulty. For instance, I feel like trading on Average difficulty is highly realistic, and gives me plenty of challenge. Others say no way, it's not a challenge unless it's on Hard or Very Hard, while others say that even Average is too hard. You have to find the setting that makes sense for you from experience.

It might be worth it to try and turn it down to Hard for a while, and just see if you like that setting better. Don't just say "Very Hard sounds good for me because I want a challenge". Try out a lower setting. If it's too easy for you, then we can talk about ways to work around the issue of trading for prospects (maybe set it to Favor Veterans?). But at least give a lower difficulty a shot first and see if that works for you.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Typically irl prospect for prospect trades just don't happen. OOTP mirrors this.

If you want to get good prospects in trade in OOTP, as irl, you need to give up good, reasonably salaried and reasonably aged, MLB players.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Dutch Alexander
All Star Reserve

The "favor veterans" or "favor prospects" options are not entirely realistic. Whether teams favor veterans or prospects should depend on the situation the team is in. If a team is contending at the trade deadline they should be more willing to trade prospects for veterans and if they are out of contention at the deadline they should be more willing to trade veterans for prospects.

This is not really reflected in OOTP as only one option is "active". When I make a trade I ussually try out different trade settings considering the situation the other team is in to look at the different trade options and then use my own jugdement to determine what is realistic before making the trade.
Dutch Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
The "favor veterans" or "favor prospects" options are not entirely realistic. Whether teams favor veterans or prospects should depend on the situation the team is in. If a team is contending at the trade deadline they should be more willing to trade prospects for veterans and if they are out of contention at the deadline they should be more willing to trade veterans for prospects.

This is not really reflected in OOTP as only one option is "active". When I make a trade I ussually try out different trade settings considering the situation the other team is in to look at the different trade options and then use my own jugdement to determine what is realistic before making the trade.

This.

Also, preference set to neutral is the best challenge. A lot of people say favor prospects is the most challenging. I completely disagree. When playing like that it is way too easy to dump unproven "maybes" for real proven commodity.

As they say, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #6
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
This.

Also, preference set to neutral is the best challenge. A lot of people say favor prospects is the most challenging. I completely disagree. When playing like that it is way too easy to dump unproven "maybes" for real proven commodity.

As they say, "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

I never found a trading level that I was comfortable with, so I just don't trade much.
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote