Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #1
halofan26
All Star Starter

not many leagues like this

.....if any

In the Zone Baseball is now officially open. This is one of the first if not the first pay league that has been kicked off. Check the site and rules out and if oyu are still interested, let me know.....By the way no one connected to the making of or the controlling of this league is allowed to play, therefore we can not earn any money from this. I am the commish and my wife built the site, but we will not be playing in this league. This should avoid any thoughts of "cheating" Any questions and i will be more than happy to answer.....this is a fictional roster league and it will start with a fantasy draft that way you can make your team any way you want it
THE best baseball info and fan site ever
The best Angels fan site
"Because i got high" - Afroman
halofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
LawDawg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hmmm . . . . link?
LawDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:57 AM   #3
halofan26
All Star Starter

yeah that would be good huh?

www.itzb.simleaguecentral.com
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #4
jbmagic
Hall Of Famer

halofan runs great leagues...

do you start with a fresh fictional league each season? will new owners that join after the first season be stuck with a team that already made in season 1 from a prior owner?

how many teams fictional league is it?

what ballparks you will be using?

tks

Last edited by jbmagic; 05-28-2004 at 11:03 AM.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
halofan26
All Star Starter

we start with a fantasy draft and if for some reason a GM does bail mid season and it is a bad team, then the front office will take copntrol of the team until a GM is found. The front office will NOT claim any of the winnings. The league rule on the site will answer this in more detail

There are 30 teams and the ballparks are fictional ballparks (default ballparks) but when a team is claimed they may rename their ballpark what they want. Each GM will also be able to name their team. The cities will stay the same for right now as i have it set up so that the markets are all roughly the same size and they can be built from the ground up
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
LawDawg
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I know this is new and all, and a very cool concept. But an issue you will probably have to deal with is that once a team is bad/low on talent, no one will pick it up. Not many people want to pay for a project team that will take 3 or 4 years just to have a shot at the playoffs. You might want to consider offering different pay scales for taking over different teams. An open contender may be more expensive than a team that was used and abused and was .300 last year. Otherwise those teams will be vacant for a long time. And those bad teams may start to accumulate in number as people leave bad teams or rebuilders and no one picks them up because they drop below .500. Just some quick thoughts.

Great idea though and good luck.
LawDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #7
halofan26
All Star Starter

if a team is vacant they do pay a prorated amount. They wont be asked to pay an entire year. If the team is so bad to the point of were nobody wants them the front office will take over that team and bring it back up until it is a better looking team. But yes there are prorated prices which are explained in the rules section that way there are no surprises. If for some reason the front office controls a team that wins the world series, the GM's that are currently playing will return the next season at no charge until a human controlled team wins the cash
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-28-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
John C
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Good luck to you! This looks to be a great league!

John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #9
halofan26
All Star Starter

appreciate that John C.
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-28-2004, 06:11 PM   #10
benchwarmer
Banned

Such a great league with a great concept deserves this Bump.
benchwarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 06:46 PM   #11
halofan26
All Star Starter

appreciate that benchwarmer

There are alot of visits to the site but i think with the "new concept" it may be TOO new and some may not be ready for it....if there are any questions feel free to ask me
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-28-2004, 08:03 PM   #12
menchfan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally posted by LawDawg
I know this is new and all, and a very cool concept. But an issue you will probably have to deal with is that once a team is bad/low on talent, no one will pick it up. Not many people want to pay for a project team that will take 3 or 4 years just to have a shot at the playoffs. You might want to consider offering different pay scales for taking over different teams. An open contender may be more expensive than a team that was used and abused and was .300 last year. Otherwise those teams will be vacant for a long time. And those bad teams may start to accumulate in number as people leave bad teams or rebuilders and no one picks them up because they drop below .500. Just some quick thoughts.

Great idea though and good luck.
My suggestion to my husband would be to start fresh each year..that way there is NO possible way of the same team winning twice (without work) and that each owner (new or old) will get a fresh start at the beginning of each season. This would be something that I would want if I were going to play... just something to chew on
Webmaster - ITZB.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - classic.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - sbl.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - ulb.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - atd.simleaguecentral.com
menchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:29 PM   #13
halofan26
All Star Starter

where did you come from!!?? who the hell let you out?

but on a serious note, the only problem with that is there is no room for "growth". GM's cant get a handle on their teams in one year.....that is MY opinion, BUT i would be more than happy to make it a replay league and each GM can try to win it all each year every year.
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-28-2004, 08:31 PM   #14
menchfan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I would think this would be a good thing to vote on for the first season or even on here? That way you get the input of the actual people that would play the game or possibly play the game.. I let myself out!!!
Webmaster - ITZB.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - classic.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - sbl.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - ulb.simleaguecentral.com
Webmaster - atd.simleaguecentral.com
menchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 08:33 PM   #15
halofan26
All Star Starter

yeah im more than happy to change things around before the league starts.......anyone else?
The best Angels fan site
Old 05-29-2004, 12:02 AM   #16
benchwarmer
Banned

Any luck on finding Owners? this is sure to be a great league. every other league you run has been!
benchwarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:18 AM   #17
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

I don't think you should restart every year. It would make it far too fantasy like, and prospects would become meaningless.

That said, I'm looking into the league, as I've always wanted to do something like this (depending on cost.)
crackpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 04:21 AM   #18
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

I would recommend also using 1-100 ratings AND talent to minimize the risk of cheating, which is definitely a requirement when money is involved.
Old 05-29-2004, 04:31 AM   #19
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

Also, I'd be rather hesitant to join a league in which only the winner can make money, seeing how much luck is involved in the playoffs.

8 x 30 teams = $240. In the rules it says $200 is awarded, and on the front page $150. So colour me confused.

Anyway, I would recommend a setup more like this...

Winner: $150
World Series loser: $50
other teams in the playoffs: $10

....and forget about free seasons. These people already have great teams, they don't really need incentive to return. They already have a wad of cash and a monetary incentive for next season. Simple economics dictate that if you want to give away free seasons, do so to the teams that look hopeless to get the owner back for another year, if he's willing to pay for 2 seasons after that. In this way the crappy teams keep ownership, since there's a financial incentive.

Anyway, just my two cents on this. Also I would think that there should be some sort of monitor on trades (commish, as he'd be unbiased) to ensure that someone isn't controlling two teams - also a big problem in money leagues.

That being said, something I'd really like to do (although I'm not suggesting it for more league, as it's a whole other concept with money entirely) is make people pay for their payroll, and put that money into a pot to be distributed. I know my league's overall salary is somwhere around 2 billion dollars, so if every $100K a team spent cost them a cent or something like that, it provides incentive to carry a cheaper team, however it's usually the more expensive players who are the good ones, so you'd actually have to evaluate in a whole new light how much a player is worth to you rather than if you can afford it in your "budget"
Old 05-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #20
blmeanie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by crackpott

That being said, something I'd really like to do (although I'm not suggesting it for more league, as it's a whole other concept with money entirely) is make people pay for their payroll, and put that money into a pot to be distributed. I know my league's overall salary is somwhere around 2 billion dollars, so if every $100K a team spent cost them a cent or something like that, it provides incentive to carry a cheaper team, however it's usually the more expensive players who are the good ones, so you'd actually have to evaluate in a whole new light how much a player is worth to you rather than if you can afford it in your "budget"
Best idea I've heard ever about a pay to play league, nice one Crackpott and very interesting to see how it would work out over time. In fact you could do away with the annual fee altogether and make it based on payroll. Makes free agency and bidding wars between owners more meaningful.

email me at blmeanie

Above link works for some email client programs but not all, email me at blmeanie33@earthlink.net
blmeanie is offline   Reply With Quote