Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 05-29-2002, 03:01 PM   #1
kevintbullock
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Post Christian OOTP4 league - 2002 season

2002 season, MLB current salaries, going to implement revenue sharing plan so everyone can compete.

interested? check us out!
There are currently no openings in BALL1.

BALL2's website:
<a href="http://balltwo.netfirms.com/" target="_blank">http://balltwo.netfirms.com/</a>

Interested? e-mail me at kevintbullock@hotmail.com

Kevin Bullock
co-founder, BALL and BALL2
Commish-pending, BALL2
kevintbullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 03:23 PM   #2
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

So do you exlude people of other religions from your leagues? Just curious
EagleEye_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 04:10 PM   #3
Clipper
Minors (Single A)

While I'm not looking for another online team right now, I'd just like to say I am glad to see there is a Christian online league.

Good luck.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 05:53 PM   #4
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

Its kind of funny how things are, if someone posted about an all white members league things would erupt, but all christian is ok. This is not meant to put down the league, especially since I dont know if they exlude non-christians (I am not christian by the way). But if an all black or all white league wouldn't be tolerated why is this one. I also doubt an all muslim or all jewish league would go over real well.

Again, not trying to put anyone down, just trying to evoke some thought on the subject.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:01 PM   #5
Old Man
Major Leagues

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by EagleEye_0:
<strong>Its kind of funny how things are, if someone posted about an all white members league things would erupt, but all christian is ok. This is not meant to put down the league, especially since I dont know if they exlude non-christians (I am not christian by the way). But if an all black or all white league wouldn't be tolerated why is this one. I also doubt an all muslim or all jewish league would go over real well.

Again, not trying to put anyone down, just trying to evoke some thought on the subject.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I don't mean any disrespect but some things are better left unsaid. Live and let live and all that kind of stuff. My thought on the subject is to have no thought on the subject. I suggest leaving it that way.

"All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer.'"
-Mickey Lolich
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:02 PM   #6
mking55
All Star Starter

EagleEye_0, how right you are. But that is America in this day and age. It's okay to be a "christian", and everyone else is going to hell.

Is there some kind of loyalty oath or jesus quiz you have to pass to get in? What does Christianity and sim baseball have in common? Or, maybe we are mistaken and it is a league named after Fletcher Christian?

Personally, I look for for the challenge of the game in a league I might join. I don't look for a league where a team (let's call them the Laredo Lazerus), may be in last place and be expected to raise up from the dead.
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:03 PM   #7
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

...hey Eagle Eye, good question.

There was a discussion quite some time back, on the OOTP 3 boards, I think, concerning that very issue. I believe the basic premise of said league in that instance was "to enjoy two wonderful things: playing baseball and discussing the Lord" or something to that effect. I would assume that in a league where baseball and the discussion of Christian doctrine (or even last Sunday's church dinner) go hand in hand - people who aren't Christian would be uncomfortable, thus the heads up right away, in neon lights..."Christian League".

No doubt this is a good league, or is going to be...and I'm just thinking out loud. A compelling question.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:05 PM   #8
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

...and beyond that, I would second Old Man's comment. Live and let live...a wise course of action.

Hehe... </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"Or, maybe we are mistaken and it is a league named after Fletcher Christian?"</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...where the players fire the managers...and then run off to some small island to mix with the natives.

<small>[ 05-29-2002, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: The Professor ]</small>
Old 05-29-2002, 06:12 PM   #9
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

I agree for the most part with the live and let live philosophy (especially with matters of life and death), but there a famous quote that says all evil needs to succeed is for a good man to do nothing. I'm not saying this league is evil anyway, again a general statement not related to this league. We should probably start a new thread if off topic if we are going to discuss this furthur.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:15 PM   #10
JML
Hall Of Famer

A league in honor of Christian Guzman! Excellent! Go Twins!
JML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:16 PM   #11
mking55
All Star Starter

No, this is getting good and once again EagleEye_0, silence is not golden and let's call a spade a spade. Or is that term incorrect.

The live and let live or don't say anything argument is the same as saying "good idea, let's lynch them".

If this was a church group forum, then a "christian baseball league" would be an excellent thread. As it is a sim baseball forum, it's a pretty crappy idea.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:19 PM   #12
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

Just to confirm, I read the rules and it does require you to be Christian.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:28 PM   #13
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

I was going to post the same thing, Eagle Eye...

...and as far as live and let live, I'm just saying I'm not going to rip this league because it has chosen to take a path that, I personally, would not choose to take.

I, personally, love the conclusion that Rich Gossage came to when describing the religious turmoils that involved the "moral" wing of the Padres and the "immoral" (Birchers, or John Birch Society Members v. Bingers, the beer and pizza guys) during the '85-'86 seasons.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">"What are you guys doing praying before you go out to pitch? Don't you think God has more important things to worry about than whether you paint your next pitch on the outside corner?"

"We've put our trust and faith entirely in his plan," they said.

"All I know is that the plan better be to keep the fastball down in the strike zone,"...

Baseball and religion don't mix...</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

<small>[ 05-29-2002, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: The Professor ]</small>
Old 05-29-2002, 06:35 PM   #14
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

From your quote Professor, that always gets me. Athletes (not just christians) pray before a game to win (among other times during a game). Is this people are suck devote (insert religion) you would think they would be praying to feed the hungry, stop child molesting, etc. Basically just agreeing with you that sports in general and religion dont mix.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:40 PM   #15
Draft Dodger
Hall Of Famer

I don't see what the big issue is.

religion and ethnicity are not the same thing. you are painting it in strokes that are WAY too broad by saying it's the same as if it was an all-white league.

all religions that I'm aware of have groups that get together like this; it's not much different than a church BBQ or a church trip. it is much less about excluding non-Christians as it is about gathering a group of people who share two common interests (baseball and Christianity).

is it my cup of tea? no. is it yours? doesn't sound like it. is it wrong? only in an extremely PC world, and, hopefully, we aren't there yet.

I've seen leagues that require people maintain a certain level of activity in the league. Do they discriminate against lazy people? Most leagues require you to own the game. Discrimination against poor people?

I know you were just provoking thought, but this is an example of PC sensitivity taken way too far.

15 GB Webhosting for $6.95 a month

IMO we are best off abandoning that sinking ship that is Off Topic to the rats infesting it and just starting a whole new Baseball Forum from scratch.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #16
Goody
Hall Of Famer

It is baseball related so it belongs in this forum, as long as he's using OOTP and he paid for the game. Its their league and you're welcome to join or not join.

I am an agnostic, borderline athiest and I think he has every right to create a specific league for anything he wants and advertise it here.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:46 PM   #17
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

...it is thought provoking. That is why I keep posting. Essentially, I agree with DD, and more or less outlined the same reasoning up above. No "PC" reasoning here...just an explanation: people who are into their faith and into baseball getting together. All good, even if it isn't my 'cup of tea' to quote the turn of phrase.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #18
mking55
All Star Starter

Draft Dodger, I don't believe it's about being "PC". It's about keeping religion out of the gaming world (and lots of other worlds) where it doesn't belong. Like I said earlier, the league is appropriate within the context of a church group. Outside of that it is just another lame proselytizing effort by those who choose to inflict themselves on every aspect of life.

If people want to go to church, fine. If church people want to discuss church things among themselves, fine. Otherwise, quit infesting the waters.
Old 05-29-2002, 06:47 PM   #19
Old Man
Major Leagues

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by EagleEye_0:
<strong>Basically just agreeing with you that sports in general and religion dont mix.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">And in the case of said leagues above, this quote goes up in smoke. As these leagues have been around for a while, in the case of these fine OOTP owners, so religion and sports does mix quite well as a matter of fact.

As far as I am concerned the following leagues also work for me:
Leagues with redheads.
Leagues with wise cracking owners
Leagues with poor websites
Leagues run by old timers
Leagues run by youngsters
Even leagues with Jerry Lewis on them ;-)

I don't join them all but welcome them all to OOTP community with open arms and no questions about how they run their leagues. Hence some things are better left unsaid statement.

"All the fat guys watch me and say to their wives, 'See, there's a fat guy doing okay. Bring me another beer.'"
-Mickey Lolich
Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 06:48 PM   #20
EagleEye_0
All Star Starter

Maybe your right Draft Dodger, but the league should not be posted on a message board such as this. Also, I was trying to discuss a bigger issue than the league.

I do disagree with the sentiment that race and religion are all that different. I grew up in a all white neighborhood (not really) does that mean I can exclude blacks from something. My problem is not that the league is all christian, but it specifically states you cant join without being christian. I seriously doubt any non christian would join, but the option should be left open. If I had posted on here about an all Jewish league I am almost positive I would have been flamed big time, maybe even threatened privately.

Also, I ddint insult anyone, I dont know any of these people personally and for all I know there all really good people. My goal was just to open up the topic for though, thats it.

<small>[ 05-29-2002, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: EagleEye_0 ]</small>