Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 04-01-2019, 05:09 PM   #1
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Ballpark dimensions and pitching staff construction.

So, I understand that a lower HR number (.900) means fewer homers, and the reverse is true if I make the HR factor 1.100 (more homers).

My question is this...I have made my HR factor .900 along with my batting averages, but increased doubles and triples. In this scenario do I want fly ball or ground ball pitchers? I would imagine smaller, more hitter-friendly parks would require ground ball pitchers while pitchers parks would be able to be more lenient about having flyball pitchers. Is this accurate?

If so, is my case now different because I messed with the doubles and triples? I ask because I had assembled a mostly GB pitching staff, and they're getting shelled early on. I know it's a small sample, but I just came into some PP from a pack opening and I need to know if I must rethink my pitching staff strategy.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
HiDesertAce
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
So, I understand that a lower HR number (.900) means fewer homers, and the reverse is true if I make the HR factor 1.100 (more homers).

My question is this...I have made my HR factor .900 along with my batting averages, but increased doubles and triples. In this scenario do I want fly ball or ground ball pitchers? I would imagine smaller, more hitter-friendly parks would require ground ball pitchers while pitchers parks would be able to be more lenient about having flyball pitchers. Is this accurate?

If so, is my case now different because I messed with the doubles and triples? I ask because I had assembled a mostly GB pitching staff, and they're getting shelled early on. I know it's a small sample, but I just came into some PP from a pack opening and I need to know if I must rethink my pitching staff strategy.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

i think you want really good defense to stop doubles and triples. you have turned singles into xbh with your settings
HiDesertAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

My defense is fine. I was concerned with flyball vs groundball. Like I know Colorado tries to get as many GB pitchers as possible to keep the ball on the ground because it can't then be a homerun. But groundballs can still be doubles and triples, so am I shooting myself in the foot by stocking up on GB pitchers, or do my park factors make the GB/FB variance negligible?
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I don't think there is really a pitching strategy to counter gap power. For homers there is the MOV rating, but there isn't a similar rating that directly impacts doubles or triples (to my knowledge).

I wouldn't think that groundballs would be turning into many extra-base hits. It's mainly the balls that don't fall into either category (liners) that do the damage there, so I suspect that neither FB or GB type pitchers would have much effect on doubles or triples.

So I think the most important thing is probably a solid outfield defense with good range in all three positions, and a cannon arm in right.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:58 PM   #5
matingly23
Minors (Double A)

If you have ground ball type pitchers in a park like that, it's just about the best you can do to prevent home runs. The movement rating for your pitchers is also very important for that.

But if you have great OF defense, fly balls won't matter so much and it will allow you to skimp more on your IF defense in favor of some offensive-minded players there.

Last edited by matingly23; 04-02-2019 at 05:41 PM.
matingly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #6
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Ground ball pitchers need elite IF defense to really shine. If you have no range and/or high errors on your IF you will be getting your booty kicked often. The same for fly ball pitchers and the OF defense. Movement helps all pitchers keep it in the park. You have to build your team with a plan in place where the sum of the parts fit together.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote