Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 10-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Exclamation EXCLUSIVE! GameInformer hands-on of Perfect Team + Developer Update

UPDATE: We are now aiming for November 2 for the start of the Perfect Team Public Beta!

Hey everyone,

here is an exclusive preview of Perfect Team by GameInformer's Matt Kato:
https://www.gameinformer.com/the-spo...fect-team-mode

In the meantime, we are busy putting the finishing touches on Perfect Team. The closed beta started about 3 weeks ago, and the feedback has been phenomenal. Of course, there were a few kinks to work out, but in general the feedback from our beta testers has been amazing. They love the new mode and we think you will, too.

So, when can you get your hands on Perfect Team? Really soon. We are currently shooting for October 30th to start the public beta, although that may slip into the first week of November. We will keep you posted about the progress and will have a big announcement once the public beta launches.

Have a nice weekend and enjoy our upcoming World Series Special Sale!

Markus & the entire OOTP Team

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 11-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I have been involved in the beta testing for Perfect Team, so I also have some hands-on experience. The game combines two forms of addiction that appeal to me: collecting and building. I want to construct a winning team, and I want to collect all of the cards. I am very anxious to log in and see how many points I earned so that I can get another pack and satisfy both compulsions.

The best part of the game for me is opening the packs of cards. I am taken back to my youth when I would hope for that Mantle and get a Harry Chiti instead. I have actually gotten a Mantle in the first round of testing (a big thrill) and I have a Harry Chiti too (not so much of a thrill). The card opening animation is very cool and adds to the suspense.

Setting up your team and getting into the action is very easy and there is no learning curve for anyone that has played OOTP. Many of the screens are identical and your team will be ready to go in literally a few minutes.

A few comments concerning monetization: My current team contains only 84 cards (14 packs, 7 of which were free at the start and 7 earned with achievements), and I haven't been that lucky (no perfect or diamond cards, and only three gold cards). We have several players with 200+ cards, and I am in a division that includes some of these "whales". My pedestrian team is around .500 and I am ahead of a team that has 22 cards of gold or above. I am convinced that someone who plays free can compete, certainly at the lower league levels, by paying close attention to his/her team and making good decisions on roster management and strategy settings. The best team doesn't always win in OOTP either because players don't always perform to their ratings (I am looking at you Rhys Hoskins you bum).

The auction house will offer another "mini-game" that can be played smartly, but we have yet to see the economy that will develop with a full player base. There will definitely be strategies that evolve around selling top cards vs. selling only duplicates, buying packs vs. buying individual cards, etc. I think this will be another fun aspect of the mode to keep you online between sims.

I am very anxious for the open beta so I can play in a bigger population and see how other people handle their teams. I think everyone that likes OOTP will enjoy this mode whether you buy card packs or just log in to play around with it.

Last edited by Orcin; 10-19-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

also a beta-tester for Perfect Team. It's a sim only feature. The better your team does, it can get promoted to higher levels of competition. (and vise versa i suspect.) If you like collecting cards, this will suit you well. The cards are a random eclectic mix of current and historical players - scrubs, legends and everything between. They can be obtained by gaining performance points in the game - such as a player hitting 2 homers, or going 4 for 5 in a game. The game will also allow purchase of cards if you are willing to spend real money - but card purchase is not necessary to play the game and build a team. With a little luck (remember the card packs are pretty random) you can get a good mix of players. The packs have values, so you'll need "x" amount of points to get a free one. (the packs are to be the same, we are told, whether purchased with $$ or points.) Some skill will be involved in getting your best line-up for the next game. You have a reserve roster as well as active roster so you can move under performing players to the reserve and bring up a replacement (though demoted players need to stay on reserve roster for specified time period).

it's challenging, interesting. Maybe could be addictive in trying to get that special player or cards of your favorite players. And it's random. But it is also in Beta at this point. Lots of issues have been discovered and resolved thus far. There are more changes to be worked out before it's public ready. I was pretty skeptical when i first read about this part of the game, but thus far, it's been interesting and definitely is going to be something a lot of people are going to enjoy. it's a free addition to OOTP and even if you think it's not your cup of tea, i'd say, give it a try. You may like it once you get a team of your own making and see how you stack up against the competition.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 10-19-2018 at 10:49 AM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #4
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Bate-tester here too. Back in my younger days, I would collect baseball cards. I had lots from the various places. Topps was a favorite. It is challenging in a way that you have players from all era of baseball and ages. Example, I have Luke Appling and he is 36. For me he is doing great at .313 avg. On the other side, I have some better pitchers from the from the 2000s and they are not stacking up for me as I would like. But that is the thrill of a getting another pack of cards and opening it up and seeing that card that could help you win in the long run. Opening packs can be fun, when you open one up and there is that fanfare when you get a rare card, like Mickey Mantle, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, and others, then watching them perform on your team. I am looking forward after the little kinks are worked out to see how this will play out.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Ludic loop.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

I am so excited for this. I'm ashamed to say that I have not yet purchased OOTP19 (the first version I have skipped since I started with OOTP11), but this is going to draw me right back in. What a great idea, guys!
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:40 AM   #7
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
I am so excited for this. I'm ashamed to say that I have not yet purchased OOTP19 (the first version I have skipped since I started with OOTP11), but this is going to draw me right back in. What a great idea, guys!
Buy it today. We have just started our World Series sale, it's just $9.99 and if you think this isn't a bargain, I cannot help you anymore
Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #8
el_gringo
Minors (Triple A)

The beta is still rough in a couple of places, and a few small bugs are still scurrying around, but it is coming along great overall, and is already quite an impressive creation to my eyes. This mode, while not for everyone (those most vehemently anti-pay-to-win will find the monetization less than ideal, but also recognize it as better than most), seems like it will appeal broadly to OOTP players of all sorts, both new and longtime - collectors, competitors, casual fans of the game, min-max gamers, etc.

It's hard to overstate the fun of figuring out who needs to learn new positions and who is the all-purpose backup between Francisco Lindor, Ozzie Smith, Omar Visqual, Mark Belanger, and Andrelton Simmons, then putting together a rotation and bullpen of extreme groundball pitchers.

Or, putting a rookie Ichiro, prime-age Andruw Jones, and a 'Live' Billy Hamilton in the same OF and activating your flyball pitchers. Death to flying things indeed... Oh, did I mention how far you have to hit it to get over the fence in my huge, custom ballpark, or how many doubles and triples Hamilton, Ichiro, Sisler, and other similar players can hit in that type of park if the opposing OF defense is anything short of elite?

Edwin Diaz closing out a game started by Bob Feller and carried through the middle innings by Goose and Rollie Fingers.

Diaz getting shelled, badly. By nobody in particular - some random 40's-grade Live players I honestly had never heard of before the incident. Baseball.

Discovering that knuckleballers (particularly lefties) seem to be quite effective against most lineups in the beta so far, which makes for some very interesting pitching staff decisions... [As a result, Willbur Wood is easily my MVP so far. For context, this was on a team where I demoted Don Mattingly because he was too redundant with Sisler and DiMaggio, so there were more than a few players in the running with Wood.]

Randy Johnson is just downright terrifying in this game mode. I have nothing more to say on the matter, except I hope I open one of his cards on the very first pack. Oh, and ditto Mariano Rivera. It's fun to see the true all-time greats put up impressive numbers amongst even an all-star cast from throughout the game's history.

'Muahahaha my entire lineup is switch-hitting, good luck managing your pitchers you silly AI managers....'

The list goes on. Endless fun.

I expect the auction house will help keep the metagame perpetually fresh, especially during the MLB season when the market for live cards will fluctuate with players' hot and cold streaks. This will be valuable for those with front-office savvy, not just baseball know-how. Stock up on a 79 player if you think he'll cross over into 80 next week, sell/auction off all but one copy once they're gold and people take note, and revamp your bullpen with that vintage Eck you've been saving up for.

Can't wait for the last few things to get fixed up, and for the public beta to go live!! Big thanks to all the devs, who it's obvious have been giving this their all for quite some time now. Keep it up, you're almost there!

Edit: Aaaand, after deciding to open a few packs, out of one pops none other than Mr. Phil Niekro! One step closer to my all-knuckleballer rotation

Last edited by el_gringo; 10-20-2018 at 11:37 AM.
el_gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #9
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Perfect Team Thoughts

(this tester speaks)

Growing up, one of the things I loved to do was collect baseball cards. I would go into the store, spend my dollar I would get each week and buy a pack or two or three. Perfect Team gives me a chance to relive that childhood memory, with a twist. I now get to see how the stars of yesteryear would go with the players of today. Collecting higher rated cards makes me think it is possible to have the best team of baseball possible.

Like the previous poster, Edwin Diaz is getting shelled on my end, and I have to laugh a little at that....along with the idea that Justin Verlander is a middle reliever.

I have enjoyed collecting cards so far....including my one "perfect" card so far....not going to spoil it and tell you who it is, but waiting to see what comes next as I am collecting cards. I am sure as it gets further along, that this would be one of the great twists and turns that Markus and his team will throw at us. It has been for me so far.

Get ready to enjoy a new and exciting chapter to the OOTP story.

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 12:20 AM   #10
Ramzavail
All Star Reserve

(tester here)

If you are a card collector or were, when you were younger, this will feel nostalgic and give you that "buy one more pack" feeling with the hope of you pulling either a HOFer, one of your childhood favorite players or a current real life stud player. Currently, I'm having enough fun with it to log in once/twice a day to see how my team has done but more so to see how many more packs I can buy and improve my team. I see this as a fun, background addition to the OOTP base game. Not something you will invest a ton of time in (but you certainly could, although it might be a bit slow moving for that), but something that is fun, running in the background and fun check in to see if you could pull a Walter Johnson, like I did and that was worth the effort and waking up my dog when I yelped in joy.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
AdamD
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
We are currently shooting for October 30th to start the public beta
So is tomorrow the day?
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #12
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
So is tomorrow the day?
I am anxious to see it too.

If not I have Red Dead Redemption 2 to keep me busy and I started a Cardinals franchise in Challenge Mode (so I could get used to that mode) last week and they are killing it in the first year so I can continue that. Only 50 odd games into the season and they have a 10 game lead in the division and are in the top 3 or 4 in every offensive and pitching category except stolen bases.

Last edited by Maddox; 10-29-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #13
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
So is tomorrow the day?
Nope, we are amining for Nov 1 now
Old 10-29-2018, 05:48 PM   #14
SayHey1
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

My inner child fan is screaming....nooooooooooooooooo!

(My outer adult thanks you for the update!)
SayHey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #15
Electrovik
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It's probably a good decision. It would've ruined Halloween for thousands of child!!

Electrovik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

We just finished a complete season in the closed beta and things are looking very good! It was an exciting season with good pennant races. We had some intense bidding for auction house "free agents" toward the end of the season and the playoffs were competitive. The team that won the series was not loaded with stars either (their best player was Ted Simmons, a gold card).

I think everyone is going to have a lot of fun with this.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #17
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Orcin, did you do this without money? That is good news if so.... Thanks
Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Yes, the system to buy PP with real money is not yet enabled.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 AM   #19
Ryan W.
Jack of all trades

Location: Somewhere, not sure where. Maybe nearby, maybe far away.
(tester here)

I was rather skeptical about this mode. I've played MLB The Show and used their collection mode and kind of like it, but I'm a sim guy so playing the games to get accomplishments were kind of a pain. With Perfect Team, the team has done a great job of mixing current players (stars and scrubs) with historical figures (HOFers, all-stars, and Unsung Heroes) to really meld into a fun mode.

As Orcin mentioned, we just had a really fun season in the closed beta where I made the ALCS and took a 3-2 lead, but couldn't hold it.

I did this with only a few gold cards (no diamonds and no perfect cards) and a Bronze Rookie Sensation '54 Gene Conley carrying my team in the postseason and had a 9-4 3.18 ERA regular season. My bullpen was anchored by Bronze '87 AS Steve Bedrosian (61 overall), who led the league with 42 saves and a 2.36 ERA.

What I'm trying to say is that, while having the gold and diamond cards are nice, it is possible to build a VERY competitive team with Bronze and Silver level players. As Orcin mentioned, the winner of the league had one Gold card.

As the beta has rounded into shape, it has been just as immersive as OOTP always has been. With new features planned in the future, this mode could only get better and I am really looking forward to it!
Ryan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
Ryan W.
Jack of all trades

Location: Somewhere, not sure where. Maybe nearby, maybe far away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
As Orcin said, no money was on for this one. So it was mostly based on what we could achieve with our packs and achievements. When I got enough PP, I bought a new pack.

I would say for those of you who are skeptical of this, please just give it a chance. A very competitive team can be built with your starter packs and the packs you get with accomplishments. That, plus shrewd moves in the Auction House, will do wonders for your team.
Ryan W. is offline   Reply With Quote