Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2003, 06:14 PM   #21
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by holyroller
Well, I don't if you are good commish or not, but you are an excellent thread-jacker
Thats a first

Your Off-Topic Nightmare.

Free Agent OT Player - Plays 1B/3B/OF, hits for power on all fields, great fielder, can hit .330 a season!

Last edited by Total Nirvana; 01-30-2003 at 06:16 PM.
Total Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:22 PM   #22
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by SimSportsWorld
Might be best to ask your league, as they have dealt with you first hand, and plus I don't know anything about your commishing skills
First, you prolly havent been on this message board enough to know about the things that I had to go against. Stealing the iMLB site, talking a little too much, and such and such not. I think I have matured a a commissioner, and I think I'm running a very good league. All i'm wondering is if that has still some impact on my "repulation" as a commissioner on this board.

Free Agent OT Player - Plays 1B/3B/OF, hits for power on all fields, great fielder, can hit .330 a season!
Old 01-30-2003, 06:26 PM   #23
Aussie Mark
Major Leagues

Finding good leagues can involve some trial and error, but after awhile you are able to recognise some familiar names on the owner page. I'm much more comfortable joining a new league if I know some of the other owners from other leagues.

And as Satchel quite rightly points out, the number of leagues an owner can handle depends on the individual. I've recently joined two more leagues, but this is balanced by the fact that one of the other leagues I'm in (TMSL) is in recess due to the Commish's health problems.

I'm in 2 "Cooley leagues", the brand new UBL and the HHBC (the merger of the fomer Heritage and Hometown leagues), however Cooley has passed the baton to another Commish for the HHBC.

Another league I'm in (MLB1966) has had 3 Commishes over 15 seasons, and is another great example of a league eventually becoming bigger than a Commish.

Again, Satchel hits the nail on the head when he says that great leagues are the ones that can continue no matter who is the Commish - which reflects the strength of the owners.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:39 PM   #24
LivnLegend
Hall Of Famer

My personal opinion is there are not too many leagues but that is only because so many have folded in the past year since OOTP4 came out. The amount of leagues that have opened in the past year were too many and that's a large part of the reason so many did not survive. I have a folder in my Favorites that contains a literal alphabet soup of closed leagues (UBL, TFTA, CBL, and many others you've never heard of).

There will never be a shortage of new leagues starting up and imagine the flood that will hit when OOTP5 is on the market this spring. All in all, it's not necessarily a bad thing that too many leagues start up -- a few will be very, very good and the community is a better place for it. The biggest negative would be newer folks joining some of the poorly run leagues or leagues run by undedicated commissioners and having that experience leave a sour taste in their mouth which may cause them to shun online leagues or give bad word of mouth about the game.

The constant league openings themselves are not purely a cause of too many leagues. There are going to be some leagues, like the aforementioned ones in this thread, which will always be looking for owners/GMs because the commissioner will often take the first warm body that signs up. Those owners are often stopgaps used to plug a leak, not long-term solutions to a well-run league. I feel very fortunate in that with the USBA I have never had to advertise for replacement owners and I am blessed to have the best core group of GM’s in any online fictional baseball league. The amount of work and thought that my team owners put into the league is unmatched. A lot of this has to do with being choosy about the owners that are admitted and creating or maintaining a product that is attractive enough to be able discern quality owners among willing participants.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:50 PM   #25
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Here is a current problem with the USBL.

I'm having trouble having GMs post on the message board, without me having to tell the GMs to. I don't wanna seem like a mother or a father, but I don't wanna fire someone just because they are not posting on the message board. I wanna get them to post, I just don't know how.

Old 01-30-2003, 06:57 PM   #26
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

You can't make anyone post. If they want to post and have something to say they will. If they don't they won't, simple as that.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”
holyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #27
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by holyroller
If they want to post and have something to say they will. If they don't they won't, simple as that.
I say you're on to something.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:57 PM   #28
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

I think its natural for people with similar tastes and mannerisms to 'move' towards each other............

That's how the "cliques" come about............

Now, on topic:

I don't think there are too many leagues starting up..........it takes the number of leagues we are seeing to start in order for the 'good' leagues to come about.

I'd be interested in knowing the % of leagues that actually 'make' it.

I will say that, mostly, the leagues that fold are the present day leagues with 30+ teams..........its next to impossible to find that many good owners at one time.................
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:00 PM   #29
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Cooleyvol
I will say that, mostly, the leagues that fold are the present day leagues with 30+ teams..........its next to impossible to find that many good owners at one time.................
Talk to me off-board. You will be surprised on how many 30+ team leagues that I have seen fold in my days as a General Manager

Old 01-30-2003, 10:01 PM   #30
IatricSB
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Total Nirvana
Here is a current problem with the USBL.

I'm having trouble having GMs post on the message board, without me having to tell the GMs to. I don't wanna seem like a mother or a father, but I don't wanna fire someone just because they are not posting on the message board. I wanna get them to post, I just don't know how.
From what I've seen in leagues, the people that do post I think get discouraged because very few people are reading the post. If you take a half hour to write and article and only 5 people read it, it's easy to get discouraged from posting again.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a Ride!"

Chicago(N) - Boys of Summer
Oakland - 20th Century League
Bakersfield - Wild Things
Brooklyn - QBA
Dodge City - NBSL
California - ABC

Dodger's Senioriest fan on the OOTP Boards
IatricSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:07 PM   #31
crackpott
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
First, you prolly havent been on this message board enough to know about the things that I had to go against. Stealing the iMLB site, talking a little too much, and such and such not. I think I have matured a a commissioner, and I think I'm running a very good league. All i'm wondering is if that has still some impact on my "repulation" as a commissioner on this board.
Actually, I forgot all about that... thief.
crackpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:08 PM   #32
satchel
Hall Of Famer

I’d like to see the graveyard of dead leagues. It would be nice to have a database of used league acronyms to help stop duplication.

It reminds me of a story.
A student came to LivnLegend and asked: “If two leagues with the same initials started at the same time, could they both prosper?”
The master said, “Which would you join?”
Then, the student was enlightened.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:17 PM   #33
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Reading.

Iatric that’s a good point too. It depends on the league of course. I’m more motivated to write when I think people will read it, and that’s more likely in a better league. That’s how these things feed upon themselves. The Commissioner puts that first idea in motion then more and more people contribute to it. Maybe there’s a critical mass of some characteristic that a league must overcome until it perpetuates what its participants envision. Groups with similar taste do band together, according to preferences for leagues with different in-game settings and different real-world attitudes.
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:41 PM   #34
Red Blow
Major Leagues

There's a simple equation. I don't think I have ever seen it fail.

Consistent commissioner + Active owners = League success

Just like small businesses, there will be a constant rise and fall of new leagues. A few of the new ones will survive and make their mark upon the OOTP scene. It was the same with FPS, I am sure it was the same with all other game formats. Call it On-Line Darwinism.

As for encouraging posting, I would offer the following suggestions. One, encourage it. Two, model it. Three, give praise when it is done. Posting, at least in the NOBL, is quite contagious. I'd match my guys against anyone for quality and consistency of posting. While we do not average 10-25-50 posts a day, the 1-3 new messages we have each day are worthy of reading and not just "I own you", "You're gay." and "". That is not directed at any other league, just a reflection of what I see in mine.

Finally, to promote more posting from all teams, I changed one of the promotional days to a monthly free Autograph Day. Teams that post one team news release each "month" of game time are eligible to set it. It's free and set to +100% attendance. The owners really like it. We had 100% participation in it last season (it was only offered once a year then), and had 13 of 20 (2 teams were vacant) for April of this year. We sim 3 games per day, 6 days per week, so it gives people more time to write articles.

There are several points in this post I agree with, mainly with Crackpott's belief that it takes a village to make a league successful and Aussie Mark's statement that it is up to the individual as to how many leagues they can be in. I do hate "ghosting" (being less active in a league while that team rebuilds through losing seasons and stockpiling rookies) but it cannot be helped sometimes.

This is your father's league.
Red Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 10:44 PM   #35
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by satchel
I’d like to see the graveyard of dead leagues.[/size]
The OOTP server had quite a few dead leagues the last time I looked.
Old 01-30-2003, 11:53 PM   #36
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Thanks for that Red Blow...

Right now, I'm having a hard time getting GMs (If I do need any) I mean, I would normally post on this board, giving as much info to the public as possible, saying what teams are available, and an applacation to fill out. But, other leagues, they do almost the same thing, and t hey get a good amount of Applacants. I don't see why. I mean, the USBL is a simple 20 team league. don't think this league is any different then others that are listed on this board, but, there are leagues that GMs attract to. I really never get it, nor will I ever.

Old 01-31-2003, 12:43 AM   #37
Batter UP
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Right now, I'm having a hard time getting GMs (If I do need any) I mean, I would normally post on this board, giving as much info to the public as possible, saying what teams are available, and an applacation to fill out. But, other leagues, they do almost the same thing, and t hey get a good amount of Applacants. I don't see why. I mean, the USBL is a simple 20 team league. don't think this league is any different then others that are listed on this board, but, there are leagues that GMs attract to. I really never get it, nor will I ever.
Here's a hint: Run your posts through a spell checker. I don't know you but the fact that you have that cartoon avatar, continue to sing the praises of a crappy band that was led by a guy who offed himself and elevated himself to "God" status amongst his fans by doing so, and seem to lack any grammar/spelling skills all adds up to a kid Commish who cannot be taken seriously. Again, I don't know you, you could be the best Commish in the business. But the impression people get could say otherwise.
Batter UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:01 AM   #38
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally posted by Batter UP
Here's a hint: Run your posts through a spell checker. I don't know you but the fact that you have that cartoon avatar, continue to sing the praises of a crappy band that was led by a guy who offed himself and elevated himself to "God" status amongst his fans by doing so, and seem to lack any grammar/spelling skills all adds up to a kid Commish who cannot be taken seriously. Again, I don't know you, you could be the best Commish in the business. But the impression people get could say otherwise.
Quote:

I don't know you but the fact that you have that cartoon avatar,

Quote:

continue to sing the praises of a crappy band that was led by a guy who offed himself and elevated himself to "God" status amongst his fans by doing so
You have alot to learn about Nirvana. Kurt didnt send himself up to "God" status, the fans elevated him up to that. The fans came to the band, not the band came to them, like these other crap band that you see on MTV

Quote:

and seem to lack any grammar/spelling skills all adds up to a kid Commish who cannot be taken seriously.
Typos my friend, typos. Can't get to them all...

I think everyone knows that first i'm not a kid. I go to college. I have a job. I try my best as a man, not as a kid. Is there the drawing line or something?

Old 01-31-2003, 01:08 AM   #39
Batter UP
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
To my knowledge he is not trying to recruit GM's for an online league.
Quote:
You have alot to learn about Nirvana. Kurt didnt send himself up to "God" status, the fans elevated him up to that. The fans came to the band, not the band came to them, like these other crap band that you see on MTV
See, there you go. You asked for honest advice but I don't think you really want to hear it. No one really cares about him except a few whack jobs. Is that who you want to be associated with?

Quote:
Typos my friend, typos. Can't get to them all...
Typos? Maybe but typos aren't what keeps you from not knowing how to spell "Applacants" several times in one post.

Quote:
I try my best as a man, not as a kid. Is there the drawing line or something?
HUH?
Batter UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 01:09 AM   #40
Total Nirvana
All Star Reserve

Heres the thing. I want to make sure that I clear up everyone's assuption of who and what I am. I wanna be able to present myself in a mature and ordely manner, but, still give out some of my personality. I don't wanna be like "oh yeah, this is the usbl, it's a such and such league, wish such and such" and so on. I just want to be understood. Thats all...